Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scott Kazmir

Scott Kazmir

It appears the one-time darling of RedsZone will be released by the Angels, who will eat almost $10MM. He's still 27 and while he may be washed up, I'd take a flier. Could be another Dontrelle Willis...

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/0...-released.html

Who knows, in a perfect world he could even help this year
    Last edited by Benihana; 06-15-2011 at 11:35 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Scott Kazmir

Doesn't miss bats anymore, and walks a ton of guys. Fastball velocity is way down. Hasn't been good in a long time, and has been absolutely awful this year. I'll pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Doesn't miss bats anymore, and walks a ton of guys. Fastball velocity is way down. Hasn't been good in a long time, and has been absolutely awful this year. I'll pass.
    Couldn't the same be said for Willis?
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Couldn't the same be said for Willis?
    What exactly has Willis done?

Willis velo isn't down. I think he needs glasses, cuz finding the plate seems to be the problem.

Kazmir smells like Steve Avery to me.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

I suspect that Willis had issues that were related to his body not being able to handle that windup of his. IIRC, he had knee issues -his windup has a ton of torque (cool word) and he was not able to put it all together because of the leg. Willis windup requires a strong foundation- he didn't have that and everything went to heck. I'm guessing his arm was fine.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Nothing yet of course, but probably offers the best hope to supplement the rotation when Volquez et al implode

Worst case he (Willis, but potentially Kazmir too) could sub for Chapman as an effective lefty reliever out of the pen
    Go BLUE!!!

I wonder if another short pitcher RZ longed for in the draft but didn't get might eventually suffer the same fate (huge success early, premature flameout)?

He's certainly had a rocky road in his last couple starts...
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Captured the imaginations of some on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I wonder if another short pitcher RZ longed for in the draft but didn't get might eventually suffer the same fate (huge success early, premature flameout)?

He's certainly had a rocky road in his last couple starts...
    He started the first half of the year kind of slow last year too, then the second half of the year pretty much dominated after everything thought he was finished.

I think that specific tiny pitcher is simply going through another rough patch. But I don't necessarily think the premature flameout, at some point in a few years, is out of the question.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    HAHAHAH! Good One..

Although if it is for the league minimum I would take a gamble. He has got to still be arbitration eligable so the team will have him beyond this season. I bet you the farm that the Pirates will be all over this. I wouldn't be mad if we picked him or not.. but I wouldn't want him to come to our division.. especially to the Cards and let Dave "I want some of CoCo Cordero" Duncan get a hold of him. Perfect experiment for Price IMO

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar View Post
    HAHAHAH! Good One..

Although if it is for the league minimum I would take a gamble. He has got to still be arbitration eligable so the team will have him beyond this season. I bet you the farm that the Pirates will be all over this. I wouldn't be mad if we picked him or not.. but I wouldn't want him to come to our division.. especially to the Cards and let Dave "I want some of CoCo Cordero" Duncan get a hold of him. Perfect experiment for Price IMO
    He already has more than 6 years of service time.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Worth a shot. Minor league deal and run a full battery of tests on his arm. If there's something to fix, it could give him a chance at regaining his arm strength and confidence.

Maybe Gully can fix him.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Turn Off Ads?