Turn Off Ads?
Page 22 of 49 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football Realignment

Re: College Football Realignment

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    The Air Force Academy may get a football only invite from the Big East.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/st...joins-big-east
    Boise getting one too makes sense for a desperate league trying to save itself. Maybe the next "phase" of expansion will be sort of these super conferences for just the money making sports (some men/women's basketball and football) and the rest of the sports are more localized.

*EDIT*
    Only reports out of the Big East Teleconference seems to be that the league okay a committee to look into getting the football side to 12.

Early Reports are (in no particular order):
    ECU
    UCF
    Houston
    Boise (football only)
    Academies (football only)
    Villanova (again)
    Temple

are the "favorites" if thats the list and this were 2 or 3 years ago my order would have been:
    ECU (most potential to become a WVU-lite, very rabid fan base with room to grow)
    Houston
    UCF
    Then after that pull from a hat.
    Last edited by Slyder; 10-10-2011 at 12:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I would much rather see WVU end up in the Big 12.
    Not me.

1. Geographically its a nightmare on both angles. WVU fans would have to travel every other year to Texas or Oklahoma for football games. WVU fans are very loyal and will travel, but asking them to fly to any of those destinations would be a bit much. On the flip side, opposing schools would be traveling to Pittsburgh and driving in to Morgantown, which isn't really a pleasant drive.

2. The Big 12 is going to basically be a somewhat better version of the Big East (especially with what is rumored). With the bowl bids being rumored to be going away from automatic bids, its going to make it very difficult fighting with the Big 10 and SEC for a BCS bid, especially if Texas and Oklahoma eventually bolt for the Pac 12.

3. Back to geography, football is a revenue generating sport so traveling isn't a problem for the team. What happens with lacrosse, softball, or any other non-revenue sport?

If WVU goes to the Big 12, it should be for football only, or a pod system where Louisville, South Florida, and Cincinnati are also invited. Otherwise the SEC makes a lot more sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...otball-schools

If the Big East adds Boise, they seriously need to rename the conference.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    http://espn.go.com/college-football/...otball-schools

If the Big East adds Boise, they seriously need to rename the conference.
    The Really Really Big East?
    Hey, if the Big Ten can have 12 teams and the Big 12 can have 10 teams, the Southeastern Conference can include Texas A&M, and Colorado can play in the Pac 12 even though its campus is more than 1000 miles form the Pacific Ocean, why not have Boise State in the Big East?
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    The Really Really Big East?
    Hey, if the Big Ten can have 12 teams and the Big 12 can have 10 teams, the Southeastern Conference can include Texas A&M, and Colorado can play in the Pac 12 even though its campus is more than 1000 miles form the Pacific Ocean, why not have Boise State in the Big East?
    Is Boise East of the Rockies? In which case just move the name around and call it the East of the Rockies Big?

And I agree the names have long sense lost its meaning, they're about recognition and branding more than anything else now. Not to mention the Pac abandoned the Pacific nature in the late 70s when they invited Arizona and Arizona State.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

ESPN really needs to be drug into Congress about trying to strong arm football in a means that they want. They are trying to create a monopoly.

Recent News:
    BC Pres DiFilipo "ESPN told us to take Pitt and Syracuse".
    Trying like hell to force Missouri on ESPN. http://espn.go.com/college-sports/st...enue-advantage

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Is Boise East of the Rockies? In which case just move the name around and call it the East of the Rockies Big?

And I agree the names have long sense lost its meaning, they're about recognition and branding more than anything else now. Not to mention the Pac abandoned the Pacific nature in the late 70s when they invited Arizona and Arizona State.
    Boise to the big east makes zero sense but then again TCU didn't make any sense either. Do we really want to see Boise vs Rutgers (and that would be a marquee matchup in the rumored new Big east...)
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Boise to the big east makes zero sense but then again TCU didn't make any sense either. Do we really want to see Boise vs Rutgers (and that would be a marquee matchup in the rumored new Big east...)
    I'd rather see that than Central Florida vs. Anyone.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Not me.

1. Geographically its a nightmare on both angles. WVU fans would have to travel every other year to Texas or Oklahoma for football games. WVU fans are very loyal and will travel, but asking them to fly to any of those destinations would be a bit much. On the flip side, opposing schools would be traveling to Pittsburgh and driving in to Morgantown, which isn't really a pleasant drive.

2. The Big 12 is going to basically be a somewhat better version of the Big East (especially with what is rumored). With the bowl bids being rumored to be going away from automatic bids, its going to make it very difficult fighting with the Big 10 and SEC for a BCS bid, especially if Texas and Oklahoma eventually bolt for the Pac 12.

3. Back to geography, football is a revenue generating sport so traveling isn't a problem for the team. What happens with lacrosse, softball, or any other non-revenue sport?

If WVU goes to the Big 12, it should be for football only, or a pod system where Louisville, South Florida, and Cincinnati are also invited. Otherwise the SEC makes a lot more sense.
    Hey, it's a fun drive! Okay, so it takes forever, and on my return drive from Texas last year (it had nothing to do with football) I got lost on a dirt road in Arkansas at night with my gas tank on empty (stupid GPS!) then, when I found the right road, ended up peeling out of a truck stop after arguing with an unhelpful clerk in the presence of a large group of her trucker friends....

okay, so next time I might decide to go to Austin via Omaha.

A friend of mine was at the WVU game on Saturday and the rumor throughout the stadium was that there were people dressed up wearing SEC pins. Take it for what its worth.
    But Halloween's not for 20 days. And what a strange costume.

I mean an SEC rep maybe, but an SEC pin, that's just too esoteric for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Do we really want to see Boise vs Rutgers (\
    Sure. Why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    But Halloween's not for 20 days. And what a strange costume.

I mean an SEC rep maybe, but an SEC pin, that's just too esoteric for me.
    He meant SEC reps were there. I'm guessing you are joking.

From the Throw Crap at the wall and see if it sticks category of Tweets...

SECNews247 SEC News 24/7
    It has been floating around, but I don't see # UK to # ACC.If true WVU & Mizzou fans better pack their bags b/c SEC would need bball schools

IMO, The day that happens pigs will fly, apes will rule the world, Ann Coulter will have an affair with Harry Reid. George, Abraham, Franklin, John, Teddy, and Ron will rise up from the dead to kick ass and take names in DC.

William Arthur Ward

He meant SEC reps were there. I'm guessing you are joking.
    I was. Meant to put a smiley in.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    From the Throw Crap at the wall and see if it sticks category of Tweets...

SECNews247 SEC News 24/7
    It has been floating around, but I don't see # UK to # ACC.If true WVU & Mizzou fans better pack their bags b/c SEC would need bball schools

IMO, The day that happens pigs will fly, apes will rule the world, Ann Coulter will have an affair with Harry Reid. George, Abraham, Franklin, John, Teddy, and Ron will rise up from the dead to kick ass and take names in DC.
    Add in the Reds will move to the American League before that happens.

As much as I see the logic behind it (basketball first league with bluebloods of college basketball and weak enough to compete in football), there are so many reasons it would NEVER happen:

1. We're culturally not ACC material for the same reasons as WVU. A state dominated by "rednecks and hillbillies" in a wine and cheese league. I also don't see UK being bullied by the Carolina schools either.

2. UK is a founding member of the SEC and would likely only look to leave if the conference were to collapse (not happening)

3. The revenue sharing and conference deal with ESPN makes it highly unlikely ANY SEC team leaves for another conference. If anybody would have made the jump, it would have been Arkansas to the Big 12.

4. The ACC holds their conference tournament in Greensboro and is expected to add NYC to appease Syracuse and Pitt for joining. I don't see Atlanta being added anytime soon.

Turn Off Ads?