Turn Off Ads?
Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Walt interview (with Cunningham)

Haunted by walks

Re: Walt interview (with Cunningham)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Great piece of info. I'm curious, do you happen to know how many of those 7 teams:

A. The runner on 3rd ended up scoring?
    B. Votto ended up scoring?
    Wasn't one of them a walk-off homer?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Great piece of info. I'm curious, do you happen to know how many of those 7 teams:

A. The runner on 3rd ended up scoring?
    B. Votto ended up scoring?
    I have not gone that in-depth. For his career, Votto has 27 unintentional walks in 210 PA's with a man on 3rd and less than 2 outs. He has 3790 PA's, so, that's 7/10 of 1% of his PA's. This should be a non-issue.

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegsToday View Post
    This is really ridiculous. You know how many times Joey Votto walked with a man on 3rd and less than 2 outs? 18 times. You know how many of those walks were intentional? 11. So, Joey Votto had a whopping 7 chances where he could have turned a walk into a sac fly or a run-scoring ground out. 7! Out of 726 PA's, the Reds are worried about less than 1% of those.
    I want to start off by saying that I'm NOT in the "Votto should change his approach" crowd. However, I don't think Jocketty's comments were in regards to the number of times he ACTUALLY walked. I think it was more in reference to his approach while hitting in those situations (i.e. looking to draw a walk)
    Last edited by MoneyInTheBank; 10-26-2013 at 03:15 PM.

This is really ridiculous. You know how many times Joey Votto walked with a man on 3rd and less than 2 outs? 18 times. You know how many of those walks were intentional? 11. So, Joey Votto had a whopping 7 chances where he could have turned a walk into a sac fly or a run-scoring ground out. 7! Out of 726 PA's, the Reds are worried about less than 1% of those.
    The question was ridiculous. But I don't think for a minute that Jocketty or anyone else with the Reds is overly concerned with Votto hitting enough sac flies. I do think that they are concerned with Votto's overall approach.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

6. Likes:

Crumbley (10-26-2013)

I have not gone that in-depth. For his career, Votto has 27 unintentional walks in 210 PA's with a man on 3rd and less than 2 outs. He has 3790 PA's, so, that's 7/10 of 1% of his PA's. This should be a non-issue.
    However, that's 210 run scoring chances. If Votto's approach lead to 25% fewer runs (not saying it did, but it very well could have) that would meant 52 less runs scored over that time period. That's close to a win a year. It's not insignificant.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I do think that they are concerned with Votto's overall approach.
    Then they are cray cray.

Votto is a run creation machine.

If I was Votto, with the security of a guaranteed LTC, I'd tell anyone trying to make him change his approach to pound sand.

He has more leverage in the organization than anyone else, including ownership.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    However, that's 210 run scoring chances. If Votto's approach lead to 25% fewer runs (not saying it did, but it very well could have) that would meant 52 less runs scored over that time period. That's close to a win a year. It's not insignificant.
    This is faulty logic.

It's possible that a walk in that situation decreases the chance of that run scoring in that plate apperance, but it also increases the the number of runs in subsuquent situations, including later innings ( by flipping the lineup over).

Every non out event adds an additional plate apperance to the minimum 27.

Code:
     YEAR	Runs	Runs /team	Votto RC 
    2007	12207	762		17
    2008	11741	734		98
    2009	11481	717		112
    2010	11221	702		143
    2011	10691	669		131
    2012	10929	683		105
    2013	9730	648		130

11. Likes:

Larkin Fan (10-27-2013),pahster (10-27-2013)

I am not sure where you are getting the 52 runs, but, Joey is a .365/.490/.584 career hitter w/a man on 3rd and less than 2 outs. I don't think that approach is leading to fewer runs being scored...
    Now, for 2013, he only hit .240ish, but again, we're talking, like 3 singles and a double to get him to his career average and slugging in that situation. I don't know that he really changed anything to his approach, you just can't hit .365 with a lot of power every year in such small samples.

I think Walt had the right idea in the first post. Talk things over with Bryan about which lineup spot he thinks would be better with his approach.

I don't think Walt ever really said Joey had to change his approach, just that third in the lineup might not be the best spot for him with his approach.

14. Likes:

757690 (10-26-2013),Falcon7 (10-27-2013),Norm Chortleton (10-26-2013)

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PepperJack View Post
    I felt he kind of thought the knee is what affected his change this season.
    I've wondered for months why the speculation about the change in Votto's approach hasn't centered more on whether it was caused by the condition of his knee. If he had discussed that openly during the season, it might have headed off some of the criticism, particularly from the grumpy guys who sit in front of open microphones during each game.

Without that knowledge, the assumption has ranged from it being a conscious choice to the result of various other external factors.
    Last edited by Unassisted; 10-26-2013 at 04:12 PM. Reason: grammar
    /r/reds

16. Likes:

Chip R (10-27-2013),marcshoe (10-26-2013),Norm Chortleton (10-26-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    I think Walt had the right idea in the first post. Talk things over with Bryan about which lineup spot he thinks would be better with his approach.

I don't think Walt ever really said Joey had to change his approach, just that third in the lineup might not be the best spot for him with his approach.
    And we wouldn't be having this conversation if everyone in the lineup after him were more OBP-inclined and less K-prone.

18. Likes:

BEETTLEBUG (10-27-2013)

Change that approach

20. Likes:

Larkin Fan (10-28-2013),marcshoe (10-27-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Change that approach

Wicked with that willow.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

I just wonder what benefit Votto thinks he derives from choking up?

That has to decrease his ability to hit for power. And his eye is so good I don't think he needs to do it to protect the plate.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Turn Off Ads?