Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Cringe-Worthy Music

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Re: Cringe-Worthy Music

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    If we can just work Space Ghost into the conversation my life will be complete.

Just for the record, get it, I would rather listen to Taylor Swift than Pavement any day.
    Happy to oblige, Dave.

The cello rock band Rasputina makes mention of Space Ghost in their song 'the Olde Headboard', which was the single off their 1998 sophomore album How We Quit the Forest.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Ghost

Just to cover all bases, I'll mention "Space Cheese" by Space Ghost the band.
    Last edited by Revering4Blue; 10-31-2012 at 03:58 PM.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    The point is she is a critical as well as commercial success.
    She's a success with Rolling Stone, a publication that hasn't been culturally relevant for a while now. And yeah Entertainment Weekly and other gossip mags that happen to review music too for some reason probably like it too.

That means a whole lot of nothing.

In all seriousness, McDonald's has a fantastic product. They couldn't sell that many if they didn't.
    Fantastic? Maybe. Quality? I would strongly argue on the contrary.

I'm kind of torn. I see what you guys are saying. Pop music is all about the melody, and she certainly has lots of catchy songs. Most garbage pop songs are one-hit wonders that can't be sustained over time. She is beginning to prove she is much more than that.

Whether or not making pop music in an effort only to be catchy, connect with fans, and sell records is a noble cause is an entirely different topic. I don't see any artistic credibility in that.

So she's making quality pop music. I'm not gonna argue semantics over that...

It's neat to be the record store guy- hey, we've all done it. But to dismiss someone as crap when they are doing something that nobody else has done...and then to say it's only because her picture is on a pizza box. Was Eminem on a pizza box? Adele?
    Were they on pizza boxes specifically? Well no. But are you really going to deny that those are not two extremely heavily marketed artists as well?
    Last edited by Wonderful Monds; 10-31-2012 at 03:55 PM.

Are we comparing Eminem to Taylor Swift?

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    If we can just work Space Ghost into the conversation my life will be complete.

Just for the record, get it, I would rather listen to Taylor Swift than Pavement any day.
    I actually like Pavement.

The problem with the Pavement/Dinosaur Jr crowd is that they would all declare it crap if they suddenly sold a million records.

Look what they did to REM. Successful? No thanks, we want to dye our hair black and sit in a corner and be depressed with Robert Smith, until he sells out and now we'll go cuddle with the latest secret band.

These dudes are all the same. It's about not being popular.

Am I getting everybody mad yet? LOL...Not trying. I just can't stand the degrading of good pop music. Taylor Swift isn't Gerardo, okay?

The problem with the Pavement/Dinosaur Jr crowd is that they would all declare it crap if they suddenly sold a million records.

Look what they did to REM. Successful? No thanks, we want to dye our hair black and sit in a corner and be depressed with Robert Smith, until he sells out and now we'll go cuddle with the latest secret band.

Am I getting everybody mad yet? LOL...Not trying. I just can't stand the degrading of good pop music. Taylor Swift isn't Gerardo, okay?
    My two favorite bands are probably Dinosaur Jr. and the Red Hot Chili Peppers. There are plenty of people who don't fit into your cute stereotype. But hey, that's fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Not their best work by a long shot, but, IMHO, not their worst.

"Invisible Touch" was a sell-out tune if there ever was one. The sappy "In Too Deep" didn't do anything for me, either.
    Patrick Bateman disagrees.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUytEXTdx9A

I don't think that's fair. My favorite band is arguably the most popular band in the world. In fact, most of the music I listen to is pretty popular. (as an aside, I don't think many in the Pitchfork crowd, who I could probably be fairly described as one of them, realize all those bands are incredibly popular.)

REM was turned on because frankly they started to suck eventually. I'm just calling a spade a spade. Taylor Swift isn't bad because she's popular, she's bad because her music sucks and is fluff for teenage girls.

I mean yeah I know who the record store guy is. I've met the guy who works in the basement at Shake It Records.

I think you might just be mistaken in characterizing a few of us as that guy, Dom.

her music sucks and is fluff for teenage girls.
    Poor music and fluff for teenage girls usually go hand-in-hand, don't they?
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Poor music and fluff for teenage girls usually go hand-in-hand, don't they?
    Not always! Teenage girls don't like The Grateful Dead, for example, LOL.

Taylor Swift is okay. Harmless, inoffensive country pop.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Not always! Teenage girls don't like The Grateful Dead, for example, LOL.
    Do they like Radiohead?

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I don't think that's fair. My favorite band is arguably the most popular band in the world. In fact, most of the music I listen to is pretty popular. (as an aside, I don't think many in the Pitchfork crowd, who I could probably be fairly described as one of them, realize all those bands are incredibly popular.)

REM was turned on because frankly they started to suck eventually. I'm just calling a spade a spade. Taylor Swift isn't bad because she's popular, she's bad because her music sucks and is fluff for teenage girls.
    Taylor Swift's music doesn't suck.

I realize it's about taste- but it isn't awful. It's not Rush, you know?

Turn Off Ads?