Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inside Info From Season Ticket Holder Luncheon

Inside Info From Season Ticket Holder Luncheon

I spoke with Marty (he comes around to every table).

Marty says "Dusty will be back to start the season" in response to my question "Will Dusty be back?". he then added "They better get off to a good start"....implying that early struggles will result in Dusty getting fired.

Walt, when asked about the Chicago rumors said "It's not going to happen".

Walt, when asked about Chapman next year said "I envision him in the starting rotation".

I met Devin, Logan & Leake. Leake was funny as hell. I met Joe Morgan, who said the Reds had as much minor league talent as he has ever seen.

Bob, when asked about realignment said "It's not going to happen". Bob, when asked about another wild card said "It is going to happen".

So, Dusty survives the offseason, starts next year on a short leash. Chapman moves into the rotation.

Toured the stadium, got to see the press box, got to walk on the field, got to go down into both dugouts...very cool.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Inside Info From Season Ticket Holder Luncheon

Quote Originally Posted by FireDusty View Post

Marty says "Dusty will be back to start the season" in response to my question "Will Dusty be back?". he then added "They better get off to a good start"....implying that early struggles will result in Dusty getting fired.

That makes no sense. If you are going to put him on any "leash" at all then go ahead and fire him now. Ugg this franchise sometimes pisses me off.

Not shocking, much eaiser job and environment here in cincy

Walt, when asked about Chapman next year said "I envision him in the starting rotation".

Yea who at best will only be able to go about 130 innings so we will only see him for about 2 - 2.5 months...ugg

I met Devin, Logan & Leake. Leake was funny as hell. I met Joe Morgan, who said the Reds had as much minor league talent as he has ever seen.

Yea who at best will only be able to go about 130 innings so we will only see him for about 2 - 2.5 months.
    This is interesting. So would you leave Chapman in extended Spring Training for a couple months? And then allow him to make a handful of starts in Louisville before sticking him in the rotation after the ASB? That might be the best way to go with him since he will be on such a short leash innings-wise.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Walt told me privately they were going heavily after Matt Kemp, Prince Fielder and Albert Pujols. It was a good luncheon.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Walt told me privately they were going heavily after Matt Kemp, Prince Fielder and Albert Pujols. It was a good luncheon.
    Apparently we are also heading for the AL, unless Pujols can play 3rd, and Prince can play left

Quote Originally Posted by drowg14 View Post
    Apparently we are also heading for the AL, unless Pujols can play 3rd, and Prince can play left
    Pujols at third. Alonso at short. Fielder at second. Votto at first. Now I would pay to see that configuration. Every game will end up 15-13.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Pujols at third. Alonso at short. Fielder at second. Votto at first. Now I would pay to see that configuration. Every game will end up 15-13.
    We might need to get rid of any and all groundball pitchers. Although I bet Sap, Stubbs and Bruce could patrol that OF just fine

EMAW

Quote Originally Posted by FireDusty View Post

Bob, when asked about realignment said "It's not going to happen". Bob, when asked about another wild card said "It is going to happen".

So, Dusty survives the offseason, starts next year on a short leash. Chapman moves into the rotation.

Toured the stadium, got to see the press box, got to walk on the field, got to go down into both dugouts...very cool.
    Same scenario that was presented for the 2010 season. Reds and Dusty Baker thrived. My predicto meter says Dusty will not manage past next season either way. On several occasions he has said he wanted to be "home" when his son hits high school age. How old is Junior Baker?

Quote Originally Posted by EMAW View Post
    Same scenario that was presented for the 2010 season. Reds and Dusty Baker thrived. My predicto meter says Dusty will not manage past next season either way. On several occasions he has said he wanted to be "home" when his son hits high school age. How old is Junior Baker?
    Dusty's kid isn't in high school yet? Isn't the man like 100?

Quote Originally Posted by drowg14 View Post
    Dusty's kid isn't in high school yet? Isn't the man like 100?
    Remember that little kid that was the batboy for the Giants in the Series? The one J.T. Snow pulled out of harm's way on a play at the plate in 2002? That kid must be just about a freshman now. Or close.

I think people over think moving Chapman into the rotation. It's pretty simple, move him in day 1 of early spring training. Building him up to a 5 IP SP. Then set him in the rotation every 5th spot. Let Arroyo be a long man to pitch innings 6 and 7 each time Chapman goes if Arroyo is rested. Could work? Chapman gets 165 innings and Arroyo never has to go through the lineup more than once.

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    I think people over think moving Chapman into the rotation. It's pretty simple, move him in day 1 of early spring training. Building him up to a 5 IP SP. Then set him in the rotation every 5th spot. Let Arroyo be a long man to pitch innings 6 and 7 each time Chapman goes if Arroyo is rested. Could work? Chapman gets 165 innings and Arroyo never has to go through the lineup more than once.
    chapman wouldn't pitch that many innings next year, maybe 130 tops and no chance he would be ready come opening day.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Remember that little kid that was the batboy for the Giants in the Series? The one J.T. Snow pulled out of harm's way on a play at the plate in 2002? That kid must be just about a freshman now. Or close.
    I do remember that play. I also remember thinking what kind of an idiot lets their kid run out onto the field of play like that.

Now I know.

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    chapman wouldn't pitch that many innings next year, maybe 130 tops and no chance he would be ready come opening day.
    It was later in his career, but CJ Wilson jumped from about 70 IP to over 200 IP after he was converted to be a SP. I'm not saying that Chapman is getting 200 next season, but 160 is at least in the realm of possibility.

Oh, and BTW. We should go after CJ Wilson this offseason

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    He was a starting pitcher for Cuba for years. The Reds made him the RP in a 2 year side track. I don't think its a stretch to make him a SP day 1 of regular season 2012. He's done it before in Pro ball. Assuming Cuba is considered pro ball down there.

Turn Off Ads?