Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Local watering hole

Re: The Local watering hole

Cool story GL. Wish I had one. Although sometimes I think drinking a beer at home is hard to beat.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    Cool story GL. Wish I had one. Although sometimes I think drinking a beer at home is hard to beat.
    Had two on the back porch tonight (Elliot Ness) while I watched my son run around with the neighbor kids ... and did a little work on the laptop. I'm a bit over my weekday quota this week.

Would prefer a campfire and a few friends, but I'll take what I can get.

GL

The closest thing I have to a real watering hole is a couple of miles away -- Barley's Brewhaus. They have about 100 beers on tap.

There are two nearby bars I frequent, and they both have lousy selections. The closest bar is called "The Other Place," and they have Bass. Unfortunately, they don't sell very much of it, so the line gets pretty nasty and the beer ends up bitter and gross. At Austin's, the most exotic thing is Fat Tire, which I love, but aside from that, nothing good.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    The closest thing I have to a real watering hole is a couple of miles away -- Barley's Brewhaus. They have about 100 beers on tap.

There are two nearby bars I frequent, and they both have lousy selections. The closest bar is called "The Other Place," and they have Bass. Unfortunately, they don't sell very much of it, so the line gets pretty nasty and the beer ends up bitter and gross. At Austin's, the most exotic thing is Fat Tire, which I love, but aside from that, nothing good.
    When somebody mentions Fat Tire I consider getting myself a Trans Am and an 18 wheeler so I can move 400 cases of it across the Indiana/Ohio state line and stack them up in my garage.

Loooooooooooooove me some Fat Tire.

GL

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    I'm lucky enough to be able to walk to the Pier Cafe, about a half mile down the beach from my house.

Probably doesn't classify as a watering hole, per se, but they do serve a decent variety of beers, with happy hour seven days a week (unusual around these parts).
    I'd most assuredly claim it as my local watering hole. That's pretty nifty in my book ... I'd have no problem knocking back a few there.

GL

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    When I go there the guy in the left hand corner will bring me a beer before I ask.
    That's exactly what I'm talkin' about.

When courting Mrs. Gonelong we'd frequent a local pub that was 2 blocks from her parents house. Her father had frequented the place for a handful of decades so were "good people" in short-order. They could see us coming out a side window and they'd have two beers waiting for us on the bar when we came in.

The wait staff/batenders at the current watering hole will often bring us a shotglass of whatever is new to see if we like it and always bring a list of the new beers available.

Last week we walked in and sat down at one of the tables. A new girl came to take our order and one of "our girls" came out from the back and yelled at her, "Hey! Those are my guys!". ha ha

GL

Don't have a watering hole now, but before we had kids when we were living in Cincinnati we hung out at Arnold's quite a bit. We became good friends of the owners, Sue and Rhonda. They've since parted ways and Rhonda still owns the place. We try to stop in there whenever we are in town.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Don't have a watering hole now, but before we had kids when we were living in Cincinnati we hung out at Arnold's quite a bit. We became good friends of the owners, Sue and Rhonda. They've since parted ways and Rhonda still owns the place. We try to stop in there whenever we are in town.
    Rhonda stopped by our table last night to chat. Very nice lady.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    Arnold's.
    Great, great bar! It is just so packed with history and stories that you can almost feel the ghosts sitting next to you drinking their beers. The only drawback (and this usually isn't a drawback), is you can't watch the Reds on TV since they have no TVs. When I'm downtown I always try to stop by.

In Centerville, my local watering hole is MacDiggers Pub. It's as hole-in-the-wall as it gets - which is fine by me!

Steve Malkamus from Pavement was in my pub yesterday, he a lot less smug when he not talking

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    Great, great bar! It is just so packed with history and stories that you can almost feel the ghosts sitting next to you drinking their beers. The only drawback (and this usually isn't a drawback), is you can't watch the Reds on TV since they have no TVs. When I'm downtown I always try to stop by.
    The show "Harry's Law" always ends up with a scene set in Arnold's.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Turn Off Ads?