Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mike Leake's role in 2013

Re: Mike Leake's role in 2013

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    The Reds could work Leake and Chapman as a tandem. Take every other start and then work long relief in between. Or Leake could start in the rotation with Chapman working long relief in the bullpen. If Chapman successfully stretches himself out during the first half of the season then he could step into a rotation slot in the second half (when one might open for health reasons).
    I was thinking about a variation of this. Put Chapman in the rotation so that he gets accustomed to the schedule and preparation, etc., but severely limit his innings/pitches early on. He'd be going three or four innings and Leake would be his semi-automatic reliever. You could say that a bullpen spot is eaten up that way, but if Leake were able to take the game into the eighth or ninth--which he certainly should be--he would also spare a lot of bullpen innings. I do like the idea of Chapman throwing 100 mph twice through the batting order, then Leake following with his Arroyo-like assortment.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    I was thinking about a variation of this. Put Chapman in the rotation so that he gets accustomed to the schedule and preparation, etc., but severely limit his innings/pitches early on. He'd be going three or four innings and Leake would be his semi-automatic reliever. You could say that a bullpen spot is eaten up that way, but if Leake were able to take the game into the eighth or ninth--which he certainly should be--he would also spare a lot of bullpen innings. I do like the idea of Chapman throwing 100 mph twice through the batting order, then Leake following with his Arroyo-like assortment.
    I mean this to be as nice as possible: I don't trust Dusty Baker with that much strategy.

Though I do hope we find some way to incorporate the phrase "semi-automatic reliever".
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

I didn't want to start a second thread for this question, but I'm hoping someone here can help me. My question is, how much does Mike Leake's offensive abilities add to his value as a pitcher? I can check baseball-reference all I want, but I'm having trouble deciphering some of the more advanced metrics. We all know that Leake is very impressive in the batter's box, especially for a pitcher. While he pitcher to a 4.58ERA, how does his offensive output help deflect the nature of his higher ERA? Is it worth keeping a pitcher with those pitching stats in exchange for effectively adding a 9th hitter to the lineup every 5 days?

I believe that Mike Leake will be the No.5 starter and Aroldis Chapman will be the closer in 2013.

I think that's what Dusty always sounds like he wants and as soon as there is any kind of snag in the Chapman to starter plan - a bad outing or two by Chapman, a tired or sore Chapman arm, struggles by Broxton as closer, injury or struggles by other relievers, strong Leake performances, daily horoscope pointing to Chapman needing to bring positive benefits to coworkers more frequently, etc. - Chapman will be back in the closer's role.

Turn Off Ads?