Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Earl Weaver passes

Re: Earl Weaver passes

This is a great video of Weaver and umpire Bill Haller. It is a good way to pay tribute to a HOF manager.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLUuxVX4Z10

BTW there is lotsa vulgarities in the video.

RIP "Earl of Baltimore"
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

2. Turn Off Ads?

Host: Bill Whitehouse, Earl, from, uh, Frederick, Maryland, wants to know why you and the Orioles don't go out and get some more team speed?

Weaver: Team speed? For xxxxx sake. You get xxxx dammed little fleas on the xxxxx bases, getting picked off trying to steal, getting thrown out, taking runs away from you. You get them big xxx xxxxxx that can hit the xxxx ball out of the ball park, and you can't make any xxx xxxxxx mistakes.

Maybe Stan the Man can hit a three run homer for him in the next game in Baseball Heaven
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Love that video of Earl arguing. RIP Mr. Weaver.

RIP Earl Weaver AKa "The Duke of Earl and the Earl of Baltimore"

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Today was the Orioles annual Fanfest celebration in Baltimore and I read that they had some nice tributes to Earl there. That had to be hard for everyone to celebrate the Orioles great season last year knowing one of their best managers had just passed away. RIP Earl.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    This is a great video of Weaver and umpire Bill Haller. It is a good way to pay tribute to a HOF manager.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLUuxVX4Z10

BTW there is lotsa vulgarities in the video.

RIP "Earl of Baltimore"
    I love this. He was a classic. RIP, Earl Weaver.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Great manager. He had some really great teams in Baltimore. From 1969 to 1971 there was not a better team. They only got one world series win to how for it though. He had some of the most entertaining arguments a manager could ever have. You don't see those kind anymore. He and Ron Luciano would really get into it. Luciano had some really fiunny stories about the run ins they had. R.I.P Earl Weaver, You made it fun for all of us.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Obviously he was way before my time but he should be remembered not only for his personality but he was a head of the curb on a lot of things, stressing the importance of OBP, working the counts, etc.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    Obviously he was way before my time but he should be remembered not only for his personality but he was a head of the curb on a lot of things, stressing the importance of OBP, working the counts, etc.
    Yep, and not giving away outs.
    sorry we're boring

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Host: Bill Whitehouse, Earl, from, uh, Frederick, Maryland, wants to know why you and the Orioles don't go out and get some more team speed?

Weaver: Team speed? For xxxxx sake. You get xxxx dammed little fleas on the xxxxx bases, getting picked off trying to steal, getting thrown out, taking runs away from you. You get them big xxx xxxxxx that can hit the xxxx ball out of the ball park, and you can't make any xxx xxxxxx mistakes.
    There is an easily-found Youtube that fills in these blanks. Plus some tomato plant comments. Pretty funny in a Richard Pryor way.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Weaver only played 4 in games at the AAA level. I may be off base here but I can't recall another succesful manager in the modern era who really didn't make it farther than AA.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Weaver only played 4 in games at the AAA level. I may be off base here but I can't recall another succesful manager in the modern era who really didn't make it farther than AA.
    Joe McCarthy is probably the closest

Turn Off Ads?