Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Could this be a defining moment?

Could this be a defining moment?

The Votto homerun on Sunday reminded me of another homerun from almost 40 years ago.

My memory fails me as to the exact details of the event 40 years ago and I will explain what I can remember and maybe some other poster can fill in the blanks for me.....anyway, I recall it being the 1972 season and the month being July. The Reds were trailing the Dodgers in the NL West and played a Sunday afternoon doubleheader. They were trailing late in the first game when their reserve catcher, namely Hal King, hit a game winning 3 run HR off of (I believe) Don Sutton. The Reds went on to sweep the doublehader and ended up passing the Dodgers soon thereafter on their way to the NL West title.

Like some other have stated on this board recently, it seems as though the Reds are slowly beginning to gel.....and the game yesterday just seemed to be the kind of memorable moment that can sometimes he looked back upon as the point where a positive wave began.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Could this be a defining moment?

I think yesterdays HR was big not sure I would put this team on that level, but that was 73 Hal King was with the Reds, 72 he was with Texas. They lost to the Mets the big Pete Rose fight with Harrelson

I'm just thrilled there wasn't another Mother's Day Massacre. But yeah, it certainly could have been. I think next weekend will be more telling though.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

As far as single moment goes, Joey's shot may end up being a defining moment because it put us over .500 and if we stay there for good it would make sense to look back to May 8th and point out that this is where it began.

Defining moment need to be followed up with something in order to be defining.Loosing 3 in a row to Pittsburg would be pretty defining as well.Lets hope the Reds sweep the Pirates and go on to have a great season so 40 years from now we can look back and say that this is where the Reds turned things around for good.

Quote Originally Posted by red-in-la View Post
    The Votto homerun on Sunday reminded me of another homerun from almost 40 years ago.

My memory fails me as to the exact details of the event 40 years ago and I will explain what I can remember and maybe some other poster can fill in the blanks for me.....anyway, I recall it being the 1972 season and the month being July. The Reds were trailing the Dodgers in the NL West and played a Sunday afternoon doubleheader. They were trailing late in the first game when their reserve catcher, namely Hal King, hit a game winning 3 run HR off of (I believe) Don Sutton. The Reds went on to sweep the doublehader and ended up passing the Dodgers soon thereafter on their way to the NL West title.

Like some other have stated on this board recently, it seems as though the Reds are slowly beginning to gel.....and the game yesterday just seemed to be the kind of memorable moment that can sometimes he looked back upon as the point where a positive wave began.
    I remember that game. I was 7, and was just getting into baseball. I remember thinking that Hal King was the Reds best player and getting into fight with my best friend Stephen about it. He said it was Dave Concepcion because the SS is always the team's best player.

Oh, to be young again...
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

In 1999, The Enquirer ranked the Hal King pinch-hit home run as the #21 most memorable moment in franchise history:

http://reds.enquirer.com/reds99/100moments.html

21. July 1, 1973: Reserve catcher Hal King hits a three-run homer with two outs in the bottom of the ninth inning to beat the Dodgers 4-3. The homer sparks the Reds, who were trailing L.A. by 11 1/2 games, to rally and win the NL West title.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Quote Originally Posted by red-in-la View Post

I was at that doubleheader against the Dodgers. It was July 1, 1973.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?