Turn Off Ads?
Page 25 of 38 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Golf Season Thread

Re: 2013 Golf Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    He might not be what he was before, and likely never will be. But he's still the best player in the world....not simply a "very good player". He's won 7 tournaments in the last 18 months and has been close in most majors. How many guys out there now have won 7 tournaments in their careers? Not many. I have no idea if he'll win another major, or how many. But I don't think it's because he doesn't have what it takes or because the other guys are just as good. In any given week, he's still the single player most likely to win. It's just REALLY hard to win in professional golf these days......laregely because of the impact he's had on the game.
    Tiger's great, no doubt about it. Shane Ryan summed it up pretty good about Tiger in Grantland.com today.

"He plays bitter, joyless golf, where the predominant emotion is anger and the whole spectacle looks like a private battle he'll never win. The outlook is cynical, fate is his enemy on every putt, and each smile is sarcastic. He's become Sergio Garcia, minus the overt whining. Maybe winning a major will set him right, but until then he's gradually losing whatever it was that made him so magnetic and intimidating."

Good for Phil, though. It's funny how he and Tiger are sort of two sides of the same coin when it comes to finishing a tournament. Phil can't stand prosperity and if he gets a lead late, he usually blows it while Tiger hangs onto a lead like a mama bear hangs on to her cub. Conversely, Phil comes from behind as well as anyone but Tiger can't charge to save his life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

He might not be what he was before, and likely never will be. But he's still the best player in the world....not simply a "very good player". He's won 7 tournaments in the last 18 months and has been close in most majors. How many guys out there now have won 7 tournaments in their careers? Not many. I have no idea if he'll win another major, or how many. But I don't think it's because he doesn't have what it takes or because the other guys are just as good. In any given week, he's still the single player most likely to win. It's just REALLY hard to win in professional golf these days......laregely because of the impact he's had on the game.
    I guess I don't see Tiger as the best player in the world. Right now if I had to I would take a handful of guys over him right now. I don't think I would say Rory is the 3rd best player in the world right now. Would you?

Tiger still is a very good golfer. He still is one of the best golfers in the world. But right now he reminds me of a Davis Love III type player. Very good but struggling to come though in the majors.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I guess I don't see Tiger as the best player in the world. Right now if I had to I would take a handful of guys over him right now. I don't think I would say Rory is the 3rd best player in the world right now. Would you?

Tiger still is a very good golfer. He still is one of the best golfers in the world. But right now he reminds me of a Davis Love III type player. Very good but struggling to come though in the majors.
    Davis Love has always been one of my favorite golfers....but that's ridiculous. Davis would give up Davis Love IV to have an 18 month stretch like Tiger just had just once in his career.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

I guess I don't see Tiger as the best player in the world. Right now if I had to I would take a handful of guys over him right now.
    C'mon now. A handful of players? Seriously. Who do you consider, in your handful of players, to be better than Tiger? I'm curious because I can't think of one. Adam Scott has played well and so has Phil. Rory was good last year and Justin Rose is good, but they pale in comparison to Tiger. Oh, by the way, Tiger has nearly a 50% lead in the World Golf Rankings.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    C'mon now. A handful of players? Seriously. Who do you consider, in your handful of players, to be better than Tiger? I'm curious because I can't think of one. Adam Scott has played well and so has Phil. Rory was good last year and Justin Rose is good, but they pale in comparison to Tiger. Oh, by the way, Tiger has nearly a 50% lead in the World Golf Rankings.
    Yea and Rory is in the top 3 in the WGC and hasn't been a threat to win anything since he switched balls and clubs.

Right now I would take Phil, Rose, Donald, and Scott. Right now the way Tiger defines himself, the majors, he has played awful when in contention. IMO right now the field is muddled with a bunch of players who are very good but no one who I would consider the outright best.

Yeah, I'd like to know who these handful of players are too. I can't think of any. Just because he didn't WIN one of 3 specific tournaments, now all of a sudden he's just very good. He's a really bad break from potentially winning the masters. No one knows what would have happened had his ball not hit the pin, or if he takes a legal drop. But the chances are good he wins that tourney.

He won the next really big tournament in The PLAYERS, which many consider at the level of a major. You can't forget that in the analysis. He played poorly at the US Open, and was playing with an injury, and was in 2nd place going into the final round of The Open. There's no one with even close to that on their resume over the last year.

I'm a big Davis Love fan, but even he would laugh at the comparison. He won 19 PGA TOUR events and one major over 21 years. He did win 4 times in a year once in his career, in 2003. He won 3 times once and he won twice 2 times.

I don't see the comp. You've never liked Tiger that much has been clear. I don't care for the guy myself, but it's clouding your judgement.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

8. Likes:

Homer Bailey (08-28-2013)

Here is what I said. I have never been a big Tiger fan but at the same time I always recognized how great he was.

I am NOT comparing Tiger and Davis Love's career totals. Tiger blows that out of the water early and it isn't even comparable. I am comparing the current Tiger to a guy like Davis Love, one of the better golfers on tour but one struggling to win the Majors. If you want to compare Tiger's entire resume then there are very few people who can come close to that. But I am looking at the player he is now, not who he was 5 years ago.

Right now I would take Phil, Rose, Donald, and Scott. Right now the way Tiger defines himself, the majors, he has played awful when in contention. IMO right now the field is muddled with a bunch of players who are very good but no one who I would consider the outright best.
    Donald? I think Luke is great and all, and he's on my fantasy team, but he's been abysmal this season. Just awful.

The other 3 are obviously all great golfers, but this is a classic case of "what have you done for me lately?" Rose and Scott have one major each. Phil is obviously fantastic, but he does tend to disappear for long stretches. Tiger is so much more consistent.

Tiger obviously isn't as good as he once was, but he's still the best golfer in the world and the stats back that up. It's only a matter of time before he wins another major.

All that being said, and being a big fan of tiger on the course (can't stand him off the course), it's still quite amazing to me how he's performing on the weekend in majors recently. It's really hard to get used to. I do wonder if he happens to pull one off in the near future if he'll gone on a nice little run. Similar to what Duval did once he finally one for the first time.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

[QUOTE=Redhook;2918216]Donald? I think Luke is great and all, and he's on my fantasy team, but he's been abysmal this season. Just awful.
    QUOTE]

Wasn't great last year either.
    Melbourne to Cincinnati - September 1st - 12th 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    Donald? I think Luke is great and all, and he's on my fantasy team, but he's been abysmal this season. Just awful.

The other 3 are obviously all great golfers, but this is a classic case of "what have you done for me lately?" Rose and Scott have one major each. Phil is obviously fantastic, but he does tend to disappear for long stretches. Tiger is so much more consistent.

Tiger obviously isn't as good as he once was, but he's still the best golfer in the world and the stats back that up. It's only a matter of time before he wins another major.

All that being said, and being a big fan of tiger on the course (can't stand him off the course), it's still quite amazing to me how he's performing on the weekend in majors recently. It's really hard to get used to. I do wonder if he happens to pull one off in the near future if he'll gone on a nice little run. Similar to what Duval did once he finally one for the first time.
    What have you done for me lately is kinda my point.

What Tiger has done on the weekend in the majors has been shocking. It used to be once he had the lead on Sunday he wasn't giving it back. Last Sunday not only did he give it back but it looked like he didn't want it.

I do think there is a block right now for Tiger. What is causing that I have no idea. You point to Duval and his impressive run over the course of a couple of years. The one difference I see is he started that as a 26 year old, Tiger is now 37. As each major passes Tiger gets a little big older and a younger field continues to get tougher and tougher.

Major respect for Hunter Mahan for choosing his family over a golf tournament.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Tiger is the greatest golfer of all time. And he's infinitely more interesting since his fall from grace.

Reminds me of Ali after his draft problems, his story became that much more captivating.

Every superhero needs his kryptonite. Otherwise, they're just boring, no matter how good.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Major respect for Hunter Mahan for choosing his family over a golf tournament.
    Agreed especially considering he was a massive chance of winning. I was happy as i tipped Snedeker
    Melbourne to Cincinnati - September 1st - 12th 2013

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Tiger is the greatest golfer of all time. And he's infinitely more interesting since his fall from grace.

Reminds me of Ali after his draft problems, his story became that much more captivating.

Every superhero needs his kryptonite. Otherwise, they're just boring, no matter how good.
    Ali vs the US Government.

Tiger vs thousands and thousands of Perkins waitresses.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post

Of our time, yes. Of all time? The jury is still out.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?