Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Phillips HR Last Night

Phillips HR Last Night

I wasn't in the Game Thread last night, and I am sure it was commented on...
    However, did anyone notice BP's hustle on his HR last night? It looks like either someone said something to him, or he heard some of the grumblings about a double standard. Good to see him learning from mistakes.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Phillips HR Last Night

I'm more concerned about his continued pulling off the ball than a perceived lack of hustle.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    I'm more concerned about his continued pulling off the ball than a perceived lack of hustle.
    negative ninny

Exactly...the way Phillips is swinging right now you would think he hit 50 last year and was going for 55 this year. BP is at his best when he is hitting the ball to right, not swinging out of his shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake View Post
    Exactly...the way Phillips is swinging right now you would think he hit 50 last year and was going for 55 this year. BP is at his best when he is hitting the ball to right, not swinging out of his shoes.
    Don't forget, every swing to hit the ball to the right side -- whether to advance a runner or just to go with the pitch for an opposite field single -- is one more opportunity lost to go yard.

Just as his backward, underhand, no-look flip to the SS is an opportunity to make the highlight reels or web-gems.

That probably goes for any player his age. He'll mature.

I think it's more than a perceived lack of hustle. It's an overall attitude that this team should play the game the right way. That includes hitting the ball and running out of the box. Standing and admiring your work in the batter's box has no place in the game, IMO, and I don't care who else does it. It would be nice to know that stuff won't fly in Cincinnati. If the Reds put a stop to it, maybe other teams will follow their lead. These guys are getting the message. Hell, even Griffey's leaving the box as soon as he hits it. Kudos to Mr. Castellini and Mr. Krivsky for giving Narron full control of his clubhouse. That's the way it should be.
    As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Quote Originally Posted by EddieMilner View Post
    I wasn't in the Game Thread last night, and I am sure it was commented on...
    However, did anyone notice BP's hustle on his HR last night? It looks like either someone said something to him, or he heard some of the grumblings about a double standard. Good to see him learning from mistakes.
    Narron did talk to him appearantly after the 3B. He said he was darn glad that BP made it to 3rd.

Phillips has been hauling tail out of the box the past two nights.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Brandon Phillips is starting to figure it out in more ways than one. He was killing the ball last night. He's going to come around with the bat. Of course, he should be able to kill the ball hitting between Dunn and Hamilton.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

There is more stupidity regarding hustle than ever. False hustle≠excellence. Case in point is the stupid charge Coffee makes when he enters a game. I think the opposing players look at him as a grandstander. Hustle when you need to hustle. The rest of the time, act like you've been around a few years. Respect in this league is key.

That was the knock on him in cleavland he fell in love with the long ball.

Brandon will start to come around with the bat. He is going to be a nice player for us for many years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotater Cuff View Post
    There is more stupidity regarding hustle than ever. False hustle≠excellence. Case in point is the stupid charge Coffee makes when he enters a game. I think the opposing players look at him as a grandstander. Hustle when you need to hustle. The rest of the time, act like you've been around a few years. Respect in this league is key.
    I agree with you, however part of the legend of Pete Rose is running to 1st after a walk and the game never called for that.

Turn Off Ads?