Turn Off Ads?
Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2010 Reds Signed Draft Picks Thread

Re: Official 2010 Reds Signed Draft Picks Thread

Waldrop signed?!?!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Yea Reds have no room on the 40 man to give Grandal a spot, especially opening up during the middle of the season. Maybe if they agree to a deal and add him in the offseason but it isnt happening any this season.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SirFelixCat View Post
    Waldrop signed?!?!
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Yes
    :happydance: 1 of the big 3 in...2 to go!

I'm reading Waldrop signed for $500k per BBA tweet. Very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by cjtenn28 View Post
    Word I heard today on the radio is that Grandal wants a big league contract and a spot on the 40 man. The Reds are pushing back.
    I can see that debate

Grandal's Agent: We want a big league contract on the 40 man roster.
    Walt: Yeah um, no.
    Grandal's Agent: Why?
    Walt: We are cutting players as it is, in the middle of a playoff run. You aren't special.
    Grandal's Agent: That isn't my problem.
    Walt: If you don't want to send him back into the draft, it is.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Yea Reds have no room on the 40 man to give Grandal a spot, especially opening up during the middle of the season. Maybe if they agree to a deal and add him in the offseason but it isnt happening any this season.
    While I kind of agree, OTOH, I'd rather sign Grandal than worry about losing Danny Rae Herrera, Micah Owings or Enerio Del Rosario. My problem with giving him a 40 man spot is that it makes the timetable for a major league spot pretty quick and I'm not sure he'll be ready that quickly.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    While I kind of agree, OTOH, I'd rather sign Grandal than worry about losing Danny Rae Herrera, Micah Owings or Enerio Del Rosario. My problem with giving him a 40 man spot is that it makes the timetable for a major league spot pretty quick and I'm not sure he'll be ready that quickly.
    Odds are, a Major League deal would mean that 2014 would be the last year he could be optioned. As polished as he supposedly is, it probably wouldn't be a big deal. Devin Mesoraco was about as raw as it gets, and it looks like he'll be ready by next year or so. Meanwhile Ryan Hanigan, Devin Mesoraco, and possibly Kevin Coddington are probably going to be the only in-house catching options on the 40-man roster in a couple years anyway.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/

The Reds and 12th-round pick Kyle Waldrop have agreed to terms on a $500,000 bonus, the largest deal to date in the 2010 draft for a player drafted after the 10th round. Under MLB provisions for two-sport athletes, Cincinnati will spread the bonus over multiple years.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Odds are, a Major League deal would mean that 2014 would be the last year he could be optioned. As polished as he supposedly is, it probably wouldn't be a big deal. Devin Mesoraco was about as raw as it gets, and it looks like he'll be ready by next year or so. Meanwhile Ryan Hanigan, Devin Mesoraco, and possibly Kevin Coddington are probably going to be the only in-house catching options on the 40-man roster in a couple years anyway.
    That's what I'm thinking. In his case, the major league contract's not that big a deal--he'll likely be fast-tracked anyway.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Just a reminder, the deadline is Monday August 16th. I saw one article from 8/5 that said only 12 of the 32 1st round draft picks had signed, the same number at the same time last year. Since then, Wimmers has signed with the Twins. Last year, all but three first rounders signed by the deadline. Of those three, Aaron Crow was signed last due to the fact he no more college eligibility. Matt Purke is now playing college ball and LeVon Washington ended up academically ineligible for NCAA play, went to a junior college and was drafted in the second round by the Indians.

It really has become an annual kabuki dance between all four parties (MLB, teams, players & agents).
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

I'd be fine if they don't sign Yaz, so long as they draft a real player next year with the Comp pick and not a pure signability guy.

I do however, really want them to sign Cisco. Unfortunately I'd be surprised if it happens.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I'd be fine if they don't sign Yaz, so long as they draft a real player next year with the Comp pick and not a pure signability guy.
    This is my concern about NOT signing Grandal this year. At the same time though, it probably would give them the room to sign Cisco.

The problem is, if they don't sign Grandal, and take a player next year that has any signability issues, he's got the Reds over the coals in terms that he knows the Reds will lose that pick and will be more likely to come to his terms than vice versa.

As long as the Reds are offering a little over slot, or a fair deal per say, Grandal would be stupid not to sign. There's no garuntee that he'd be drafted any higher next year, and he'd have 0 leverage as a collegiate senior. If it takes a major league deal, so be it. Between Chapman, Bray & Rhodes, there shouldn't be any need for a lefty out of the pen this season. next year there has to be a better option than DRH on the free agent market to fill the Loogy spot next year (not that DRH was really any good at that this year)

Brandon Dailey (34th round) and Dan Renken (25th round) are signed. I haven't found a link for Renken, but here's one for Dailey: http://www.cambridgetimes.ca/sports/...article/858199
    Last edited by camisadelgolf; 08-11-2010 at 03:46 PM.

Turn Off Ads?