Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Random Thoughts

Haunted by walks

Random Thoughts

Joey Votto not being on the All-Star team is like the No. 1 team in the nation playing in the NIT.

I hope when Arthur Rhodes gets to the All-Star game he's not intimidated by the veterans.

It's time for my yearly proposal for the On-Base Percentage Derby.

Votto just needs to work on his Stardom skillset.

I hope the All-Star game goes 20 innings and Omar Infante has to play nine positions.

But I guess if set-up men can be All-Stars then utility men can too. Next: Loogies.

At what point will "we might actually have a shot at the playoffs if everything keeps going right" turn into outrage that it didn't?

I think we should promise not to complain about Dusty's lineup if he gets to make one for the All-Star game next year.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Random Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Joey Votto not being on the All-Star team is like the No. 1 team in the nation playing in the NIT.

I hope when Arthur Rhodes gets to the All-Star game he's not intimidated by the veterans.

It's time for my yearly proposal for the On-Base Percentage Derby.

Votto just needs to work on his Stardom skillset.

I hope the All-Star game goes 20 innings and Omar Infante has to play nine positions.

But I guess if set-up men can be All-Stars then utility men can too. Next: Loogies.

At what point will "we might actually have a shot at the playoffs if everything keeps going right" turn into outrage that it didn't?

I think we should promise not to complain about Dusty's lineup if he gets to make one for the All-Star game next year.
    Good stuff

I promise!!!

Actually that has given me a random thought.

If the Reds make it to the WS then decide not to bring Dusty back who makes out the roster the next year?I'd imagine that it'd be whoever the Reds hired but I don't think I've ever herd of this happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    I promise!!!

Actually that has given me a random thought.

If the Reds make it to the WS then decide not to bring Dusty back who makes out the roster the next year?I'd imagine that it'd be whoever the Reds hired but I don't think I've ever herd of this happening.
    I think it has before. I can't remember who though. It may have been Dusty.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    Billy Martin won a World Championship with the Yankees in 1978 and then was fired before he could manage the AL team in the 1979 All Star Game. His replacement, Bob Lemon, managed the game.

Martin was fired the year before in 1978 coming off the 1977 championship, as well, if I recall correctly.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    Yep, Dusty managed the 2002 Giants to the World Series and then went to Chicago in 2003 and managed the ASG, so it did happen.

If the Reds made the WS this year and then Dusty didn't manage an NL team in 2011, I imagine the current Reds manager would take the ASG.

I forgot about Dusty. It's pretty sad when you can remember 1979 better than you can remember 2003.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Solid gold, as usual. Good work BCubb.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

It's funny how lineup order seems so much less important when you fill it with capable hitters.

Good stuff as always BCubb.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Solid gold, as usual. Good work BCubb.
    I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    It's funny how lineup order seems so much less important when you fill it with capable hitters.

Good stuff as always BCubb.
    Agreed, though to point out -- the offense was struggling before Dusty moved the lineup around. Since he moved down Stubbs, moved up Phillips and batted Cabrera leadoff (until subsequently switching the two), the offense has really taken off. While it can be debated whether that's correlation or causation, the lineup order of Dusty has made an impact.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Good stuff, BCubb

I must say, the 2010 Reds offense has shocked the heck out of me. I thought this club would struggle all year for runs.

Oh well, one of many bad predictions I've made.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    Billy Martin won a World Championship with the Yankees in 1978 and then was fired before he could manage the AL team in the 1979 All Star Game. His replacement, Bob Lemon, managed the game.

Martin was fired the year before in 1978 coming off the 1977 championship, as well, if I recall correctly.
    And Bob Lemon, who managed the Yankees in the 1981 World Series after replacing the fired Gene Michael on September 6, 1981, was himself fired on April 26, 1982 and replaced by Gene Michael again. American League President Lee MacPhail decided to name the manager of the Oakland A's (who had lost to the Yankees in the 1981 ALCS) as the manager of the 1982 AL All-Star Team. That man? Billy Martin.

Michael was fired again on August 4, 1982 and replaced by Clyde King. And during the offseason, the Yankees hired none other than Billy Martin to be the manager for the 1983 season.

The moral of this story is that George Steinbrenner is insane.
    Last edited by Big Klu; 07-06-2010 at 09:46 PM.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Good stuff, BCubb

I must say, the 2010 Reds offense has shocked the heck out of me. I thought this club would struggle all year for runs.

Oh well, one of many bad predictions I've made.
    I was and am right there with you Roy.

Isn't it GREAT!!!

Turn Off Ads?