Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Who's Your Top Five Greatest Artists of All Time? (Music)

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Re: Who's Your Top Five Greatest Artists of All Time? (Music)

I watched the thing on tv the other night and it seemed like any time you put together a list like this you're going to have a lot of people shaking their heads. I just didn't like the number of bands pretty high up on the list who I would consider "fringe" type music like metal, etc. But that's because I'm not a fan of metal and I've always considered it to be more of a narrow appeal type of music, like jazz or classical. Do artists who specialize in types of music that don't have the broader across the board appeal really deserve to be near the top of that list?

For my opinion, if you're looking for people who were influential in music or had lasting appeal, you have to at least give honorable mention to Chuck Berry, Ray Charles, and Johnny Cash. I'd throw Elvis in there as well for the icon that he was.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

2. Turn Off Ads?

How about current artists going forward? people can debate artists of the past, I'm looking at you Rolling Stones, luv ya, but RETIRE already!

For me it's...

1. Sarah McLachlan
    2. U2
    3. Pearl Jam
    4. The Cure
    5. Metallica

In no particular order, but Sarah's first because we are the same age and I can leave my wife for her if Sarah said I had a shot.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Maynard James Keenan (tool)
    BB King
    Phil Collins
    David Bowie
    my 5th is too hard to pick between Queen, Clapton and just a bunch of other handful of artist I flat out love.

Pearl Jam
    Foo Fighters
    Kenny Chesney
    Bruce Springstein
    Gaslight Anthem

Metallica is close but I just don't listen to them anymore. I also like U2 and Coldplay but don't listen to them as much as my top 5.

I couldn't even begin to make such a list. I'm a classical musician who loves rock and roots/folk above all else. When I try to say who my favorite artist is--even in one genre--I simply can't. If I try to say who is most influential in one way or another that is difficult as well. Music is simply too subjective to make lists like these with any kind of impartiality.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Bruce Springstein
    Gaslight Anthem
    The master and his students.

Give the Gaslight Anthem five or six more years. I'm hoping they can continue to grow musically (lyrically, especially) and really blossom into an influential band.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

I'm going to answer this question using my personal taste. Not taking into account influence or innovation, just what I like to listen to. Not in any particular order.

1. Pink Floyd
    2. Metallica
    3. Black Sabbath/Ozzy Osbourne
    4. Frank Sinatra
    5. Jimi Hendrix
    What if this is as good as it gets?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    The master and his students.

Give the Gaslight Anthem five or six more years. I'm hoping they can continue to grow musically (lyrically, especially) and really blossom into an influential band.
    Its interesting because I first heard the Gaslight Anthem compared to the Boss but I just don't see/hear it. On one hand I think Bruce is more of a rock/folk genre but I see Gaslight as more of a rock/punk genre.

I think they have grown quite a bit from their first album. The more and more I listen to 59 Sound and American Slang the more and more I like them. Very talented band and I hope the continue to grow and most importantly stay together.

I think this is just one of those kinds of questions that is very hard to answer.

How do you compare the Beatles to Miles Davis to Samuel Barber to Jimi Hendrix to Aaron Copland to Rogers and Hammerstein to Hoagy Carmichael to Elmer Bernstein to Hank Williams to Dylan, Elvis etc etc etc? I just don't think you can.

Maybe narrow it to genres of the 20th century (rock, jazz, Broadway, folk, classical, country, etc) and maybe you can get some meaningful discussions.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I think this is just one of those kinds of questions that is very hard to answer.

How do you compare the Beatles to Miles Davis to Samuel Barber to Jimi Hendrix to Aaron Copland to Rogers and Hammerstein to Hoagy Carmichael to Elmer Bernstein to Hank Williams to Dylan, Elvis etc etc etc? I just don't think you can.

Maybe narrow it to genres of the 20th century (rock, jazz, Broadway, folk, classical, country, etc) and maybe you can get some meaningful discussions.
    Yep, might as well debate what your top 5 foods are.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Yep, might as well debate what your top 5 foods are.
    Is it really a debate? Its your top 5 artist of all time. Heck you could say NSYNC, Backstreet Boys, Justin Bieber, 98 Degrees, and Brittany Spears and no one really could debate that.

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

Is it really a debate? Its your top 5 artist of all time. Heck you could say NSYNC, Backstreet Boys, Justin Bieber, 98 Degrees, and Brittany Spears and no one really could debate that.
    I could debate whether or not any of those are "artists". They didn't write, choreograph, or even sing live (in some cases). But Britney does look good.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

Ok not a debate, a but a list.

My top fav deserts might be my top five foods, yours might be dinner items.

Just too many to list five IMO, I'm probably too eclectic to be pinned down with five of anything.

Or even the same five today as next year.

Even of you're going narrow it to the 20th century ... or even the past century ... it's just too hard to narrow to just 5. Consider the early Jazz performers. King Oliver, Jelly Roll Morton ... How about Cincinnati's own:

YouTube - Mamie Smith - Let's Agree To Disagree

And I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Louis Armstrong. Bridged the eras from the 20s to the 60s.

Here's a video of Armstrong and Johnny Cash "recreating" a 1930s recording Armstrong did with Jimmie Rodgers.

YouTube - Armstrong & Cash

You may not like the music, but you can't deny their importance/significance/greatness.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Let's limit this to the 20th century (as I'm fairly certain neither VH1 nor Rolling Stone considered symphonic composers.

Let's also assume cultural, innovative, and influential impact as the scoring troika.

If that's the case, what say ye, Redszone?
    1. Kirsten Flagstad

2. Rosa Ponselle

3. Yehudi Menuhin

4. Robert Johnson

5. Louis Armstrong

***I didn't see your post above mine about Louis Armstrong until after I posted it.

Turn Off Ads?