Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Billy Hamilton...

Billy Hamilton...

Stole 5 bases today. He's up to 80 on the season. EIGHTY. He's averaging 1.23 steals per game. If he keeps that up and plays through the season, he's on pace for 167 steals. It's pretty obvious that's unlikely to happen...but DAMN. That's mind boggling.

For a reference, the most stolen bases in a season in the majors is by Hugh Nicol. He stole 138 bases in 1887. The most ever in the minors is Vince Coleman playing for Macon in A ball with 145...barely beating out Donell Nixon of Bakersfield that same year, falling short with 143.

Before the game Hamilton's batting numbers were .320/.405/.440.

I hope he can keep progressing as he comes up through the system and I expect him to come up pretty fast. He should be in AA next year and in Louisville in 2014...but I expect him to come up to Louisville halfway through next season and be playing on the major league squad in 2014 and maybe coming up in September next year.

I know that stealing in the majors is nothing like it is at high A level, but he's so damn fast. I had high hopes for this kid and so far he's exceeded my expectations by orders of magnitude. Hopefully he can keep it up! I haven't been this excited about a Reds prospect since Bruce.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I transcend race, hombre LaFlamaBlanca's Avatar

Re: Billy Hamilton...

Glad you're excited, because other than Billy, who do we really have to salivate over in the system? Sad but true.

Seriously though, this guy looks like a game changer.

Corcino and De La Rosa both combined to throw a no hitter tonight. Do you pay attention to our farm system? We have plenty of talent...none of it is up in Louisville though.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

I too, am looking forward to seeing Hamilton at the big league level. I think everyone on here agrees we need a lead-off guy, and Billy fits the bill.

I hope he switches to CF and can show adequate defense there because I would love him to be a long term answer batting leadoff and manning the middle.

Would love to see him.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by herbdizzle View Post
    I hope he switches to CF and can show adequate defense there because I would love him to be a long term answer batting leadoff and manning the middle.
    I agree. Let's hope the Reds move him to the spot that he will actually play in the majors sooner rather than later.

And not make the same mistake that they made with Frazier.

My question is why haven't they moved him yet?

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    My question is why haven't they moved him yet?
    No reason to move him before you need to. SS have more value than CF. They probably know how long it takes a SS to transition, and they will wait, as they should.

They haven't moved him because he's very young. He might be up to AA by the end of the year. I wouldn't want to rush his development. Cueto, Bruce, Phillips, Chapman, Cozart, Frazier and Votto are all locked up for a few years at least. They will all still be here by the time Hamilton is ready to contribute.

Quote Originally Posted by joshua View Post
    They haven't moved him because he's very young. He might be up to AA by the end of the year. I wouldn't want to rush his development. Cueto, Bruce, Phillips, Chapman, Cozart, Frazier and Votto are all locked up for a few years at least. They will all still be here by the time Hamilton is ready to contribute.
    Bruce was in the majors by Hamilton's current age.....and they can't move him to double A? What more does he need to prove in single A?

He'll be in AA within the next month.

Hes like Ricky Henderson on RBI baseball for Nintendo

I transcend race, hombre LaFlamaBlanca's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by joshua View Post
    Corcino and De La Rosa both combined to throw a no hitter tonight. Do you pay attention to our farm system? We have plenty of talent...none of it is up in Louisville though.
    Super condescending question aside, eh. Maybe I was spoiled becoming a true Reds fan in the age of having Adam Dunn, Austin Kearns, Bruce.. Guys you couldn't WAIT to see in uniform. Perhaps I am being biased because those were the first Reds teams I really loved, but other than Hamilton, I don't really see a lot of guys in the system that make me go WOW. Corcino and Stephenson could be really nice arms some day, and it's probably combined with the fact Louisville is so uninspiring. But that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by LaFlamaBlanca View Post
    Super condescending question aside, eh. Maybe I was spoiled becoming a true Reds fan in the age of having Adam Dunn, Austin Kearns, Bruce.. Guys you couldn't WAIT to see in uniform. Perhaps I am being biased because those were the first Reds teams I really loved, but other than Hamilton, I don't really see a lot of guys in the system that make me go WOW. Corcino and Stephenson could be really nice arms some day, and it's probably combined with the fact Louisville is so uninspiring. But that's just me.
    That's what happens when you trade away your best prospects. Good news, though - prospects are just that. They're no guarantee. In another year or two, we'll have some more guys we're all excited about. Right now our good ones just aren't knocking on the door, which does make it harder to get excited.

Turn Off Ads?