Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Staring at the Abyss

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Staring at the Abyss

Looking at who/what the Reds are facing in the coming days...I see the Cardinals and Brewers pulling away.

Rotation is in shambles, offensive black holes not addressed.

Baker the manager. Enough said.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Staring at the Abyss

couldn't agree more, this team just doesn't have it. Not until Walt makes some serious moves will they even be a contender for the playoffs. Sad to say because this team was supposed to compete for a WS and wont make the playoffs or even come close at this pace

BAKER12

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    Looking at who/what the Reds are facing in the coming days...I see the Cardinals and Brewers pulling away.

1. Cards and Brewers are not the '27 Yankees
    2. Health, patience and a few additions needed
    3. Multiple times Dusty has been Manager Of The Year, his teams play hard and
    they never give up.

NL Central champs

Quote Originally Posted by BAKER12 View Post
    1. Cards and Brewers are not the '27 Yankees
    2. Health, patience and a few additions needed
    3. Multiple times Dusty has been Manager Of The Year, his teams play hard and
    they never give up.
    1. They sure seem like it.
    2. No, we NEED a blockbuster trade
    3. Dusty is a horrible manager

/sarcasm

In all seriousness, why panic, remember last year when the Reds were swept by the Seattle Mariners! and yet the Reds still managed to win the NL Central. You guys act like the Reds are the only team in MLB that has bad stretches, every other team will have their losing streaks, injuries, and bad losses, the Reds will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post

What black holes?

LF & SS?

They were 5-10 today

Telling quote from Dusty:
    “He didn’t deserve it,” Reds manager Dusty Baker said. “But he was willing to. We’re a little beat up right now. That 19-inning game . . . we’re seeing the effect of that.”
    Oh you mean that 19-inning game that the Reds win in 11 if a certain second baseman has a clue? Just Brandon being Brandon, right? LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Telling quote from Dusty:

Oh you mean that 19-inning game that the Reds win in 11 if a certain second baseman has a clue? Just Brandon being Brandon, right? LOL.
    He's won us a hell of a lot more games than he's lost us. If you're gonna complain about without question the best defensive 2nd baseman in baseball then just shut off your computer and don't log back on

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tkemmerer14 View Post
    He's won us a hell of a lot more games than he's lost us. If you're gonna complain about without question the best defensive 2nd baseman in baseball then just shut off your computer and don't log back on
    Nobody is questioning Phillip's talent, or effort.

It's the between-the-ears issues that some of us have a problem with.

For example, Phillips is the one player that complained about the attention Josh Hamilton was getting when he was here.
    Last edited by malcontent; 05-29-2011 at 02:32 AM.

BLAH BLAH BLAH We've heard it all before... A few losses and they are headed for a firesale. But, by golly, win a few games, World Series Champs!!!!!!!!!!!

Sit back and enjoy the ride, you don't know what the outcome is yet. If you want to complain, it's not too late to jump off the bandwagon, but, you're not allowed enjoy it when there IS a prize at the end.
    ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:40

Quote Originally Posted by tkemmerer14 View Post
    Probably the stupidest rationalization in sports today.

I can't address the Brewers cause I don't know much about them this year. But on the Cards: While Cincy has been playing the toughest teams around, the Cards have been enjoying playing the worst.

I do agree that Walt needs to get off his butt and makes some moves. Baker would be a good start.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Magdal View Post
    I can't address the Brewers cause I don't know much about them this year. But on the Cards: While Cincy has been playing the toughest teams around, the Cards have been enjoying playing the worst.

I do agree that Walt needs to get off his butt and makes some moves. Baker would be a good start.
    Where do they start? What do you fix?

1. Starting pitching? The hardest to acquire and most expensive to fix. Do they wait for Volquez to come around and the others (Bailey, Arroyo, Maloney, Lecure) to get healthy, while using that reknowned depth in the system to get by?

2. Hitting? Clutch hitting was there most of last season. It has been slim to none this season. Votto has zero protection in the lineup. Bruce comes and goes but has been mostly lousy with RISP. Neither Gomes, Heisey or Lewis have really stepped up to secure LF. Stubbs striking out at another record pace. Janish not really making anyone scream to make him the everyday starter.........good D, boring bat. Renteria is like a better hitting OCab, but that's it. This team has no legit 4-hole hitter. None.

3. Small market and payroll is at it's highest at $80M. I don't think management is willing to take on anymore salaries. Sorry. Don't see it happening.

That's a pretty grim picture you paint Votto. I would think that after last years success that 80 mil lid could be raised.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Magdal View Post
    That's a pretty grim picture you paint Votto. I would think that after last years success that 80 mil lid could be raised.
    From a weather standpoint, you have to wonder how much higher the Reds attendance might be this year if not for the unusual amount of rain we've had. Aren't we like 13 to 15" inches ahead of the norm in terms of rain?

Dusty is captaining the Titanic into the abyss....

Turn Off Ads?