Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Alabama Crimson Tide

Re: Alabama Crimson Tide

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Many SEC schools are leaders in science and engineering research.... speaking for Auburn, academic performance is no laughing matter.
    His statement was about admission standards, which is a whole lot more relevant as to who can get into a school to play football rather than the strength of a school's engineering research. You don't have to travel to find out what it takes to get into a given SEC school versus a Big 10 school.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    His statement was about admission standards
    Is there a big ten school whose football program suffers because of its admission standards outside of perhaps Northwestern?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Is there a big ten school whose football program suffers because of its admission standards outside of perhaps Northwestern?
    Absolutely. After the Cooper fiasco, OSU tightened up its admission standards for football players. They've backed off multiple guys because while they may have qualified, the admissions department would not allowed them in. I'm sure the admission standards are still more lenient compared to the OSU student population as a whole, but they do decline kids who the NCAA has cleared. For a while, a lot of those kids ended up at Michigan State, which is the lowest rated academic school in the Big 10. Others ended up at UC.

Michigan lost one of it's prized recruits this year because he was not admitted.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Michigan lost one of it's prized recruits this year because he was not admitted.
    And that's one of the reasons oversigning is such a huge advantage. If a kid doesn't qualify or isn't admitted for a Big 10 school, then that program basically loses that scholarship for the year. Guys like Saban and Miles can recruit six or seven guys who are borderline to qualify for three open scholarships knowing that three of those guys will get in and they can basically let the others go by the wayside.

Funny you should mention Northwestern: Tyrell Sutton was dead set on attending Ohio State but could not get admitted by the school. So he ended up at... Northwestern?

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Funny you should mention Northwestern: Tyrell Sutton was dead set on attending Ohio State but could not get admitted by the school. So he ended up at... Northwestern?
    I always felt that the 'admissions' issue with Sutton was Ohio State's code for "we thought he was too small."

I know it was generally accepted as being an admissions issue, but I never bought into that.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    I always felt that the 'admissions' issue with Sutton was Ohio State's code for "we thought he was too small."

I know it was generally accepted as being an admissions issue, but I never bought into that.
    I think you are getting the story mixed with Javon Ringer and Ray Williams. Ringer was the one with the academic issues, Sutton was just a size issue, they were also boxed in on schollies that year, and couldn't take any more smaller running backs. They offered Ringer a grey shirt. Ray Williams was the kid with the SERIOUS legal issues.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    I think you are getting the story mixed with Javon Ringer and Ray Williams. Ringer was the one with the academic issues, Sutton was just a size issue, they were also boxed in on schollies that year, and couldn't take any more smaller running backs. They offered Ringer a grey shirt. Ray Williams was the kid with the SERIOUS legal issues.
    You're right, I was thinking of Ringer, though Sutton was brought up in this thread, and I was responding to that.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I didn't say they were necessarily a good team. I said playing them in Georgia isn't an automatic.
    Why include Georgia in your statement anyway seeing as Georgia isn't even in the SEC West

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Why include Georgia in your statement anyway seeing as Georgia isn't even in the SEC West
    Because Georgia is evil and as you must certainly know, they loom on Auburn's schedule, is one of their big rivals, and is never a certainty.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Seriously, we've been down this path a thousand times on here. I think most people would prefer not to do it again.
    A thread about Alabama Crimson Tide has to include a discussion of the SEC West. What's wrong with that???

Turn Off Ads?