Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Nationals' manager Riggleman resigns

Re: Nationals' manger Riggleman resigns

Sounds like dysfunction to me. Owner/GM/manager should have a clear, shared understanding heading into a season what the manager's contract situation is.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Which is good business sense.
    For penny stock brokers, maybe.

A bird in the hand is also good business sense. He had a job. Now he doesn't have a job and looks bad to boot. I'd say his strategy worked about as well as the umpires' strike a few years back. His bluff was called, and he folded. Not sure where there's any honor in that.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

He was probably miserable, and quitting seemed like a viable option, so he took it.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Which is good business sense.
    And it's poor business sense to push an option before half the work year is over, this is akin to a executive ignoring a poor first quarter and half of a poor second quarter and making a demand on 2 weeks of positive results.

Sure infrastructure might be improved, and other things, but the performance is always going to be the first thing that is examined, and the season will flush out more of that down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Headline will read:

Ron Oester school of negotiations graduate Jim Riggleman resigns!!

Heh. At least Rigs had the job before making demands.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Way to stick with your players Jim, enjoy managing in the Atlantic league.
    Go Gators!

And it's poor business sense to push an option before half the work year is over, this is akin to a executive ignoring a poor first quarter and half of a poor second quarter and making a demand on 2 weeks of positive results.

Sure infrastructure might be improved, and other things, but the performance is always going to be the first thing that is examined, and the season will flush out more of that down the line.
    It's not poor business sense to ask for it. In fact, I think he made a good decision to ask for it. But to quit if he didn't get it, I don't agree with.

It's not that he asked for it, it's how he handled it in lieu of not getting the extension.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

The Nationals have started to look like a decent team and now they have no manager.

It's not poor business sense to ask for it. In fact, I think he made a good decision to ask for it. But to quit if he didn't get it, I don't agree with.

It's not that he asked for it, it's how he handled it in lieu of not getting the extension.

He had the option already, he tried to force their hand to exercise it, that's the poor decision IMO. He overestimated his worth by giving them the exercise it or I walk ultimatum. Which is in essence bad business 101.

He had the option already, he tried to force their hand to exercise it, that's the poor decision IMO. He overestimated his worth by giving them the exercise it or I walk ultimatum. Which is in essence bad business 101.
    Why? If he thought his value was highest right at that point, why not try to maximize that and hope they pick it up? That's smart business. You know, buy low sell high. Same concept. He was trying to maximize his leverage when the team was playing its best baseball.

Anyone should market themselves best they can. Riggleman was smart to use that winning streak to his advantage. Again, not saying I respect his "walk" ultimatum. But I absolutely think he should have cashed in when he did.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

He does realize that he's Jim Riggleman, right ?

It's kinda like Rain Wilson making demands on The Office.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

He was trying to maximize his leverage when the team was playing its best baseball.
    Guess he needs to learn about sample size, seems the GM knows about it.

Not only that, but it doesn't seem like terribly good business to walk away from the remainder of your paycheck when you don't have another lined up and are hurting your marketability.

Ask Tony Perez if they know about it.

Why? If he thought his value was highest right at that point, why not try to maximize that and hope they pick it up? That's smart business. You know, buy low sell high. Same concept. He was trying to maximize his leverage when the team was playing its best baseball.

Anyone should market themselves best they can. Riggleman was smart to use that winning streak to his advantage. Again, not saying I respect his "walk" ultimatum. But I absolutely think he should have cashed in when he did.
    Apparently he thinks his boss is an idiot then and would buy into that "look at it man, we're on a WINNING STREAK. We just swept the Seattle Freakin' Mariners. ANOTHER EXCITING WALKOFF WIN. We're a game over .500 and its nearly the halfway point in the season. Man, aren't you pumped? Now, about my option."

Apparently, he overestimated the stupidity of his boss. That would not be "smart business."

But then, I'd be surprised if that was even a selling point...boy, at least I hope so. If not, Riggleman needs an agent. Well, right now, a PR Rep...
    Last edited by traderumor; 06-23-2011 at 08:11 PM.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Turn Off Ads?