Turn Off Ads?
Page 16 of 43 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: Xavier Basketball

Re: Xavier Basketball

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    As a fairly new Xavier fan who missed out on the Huggins Era, I have never quite understood the extreme hatred my fellow alums hold for UC fans. Until now. There is an awful lot of smack talk coming from a group of one year wonders. Repeat this year's success and then you have room to talk some trash, Cats fans.

Cue mention of 50 year old national titles in 3, 2, 1....
    I think some XU fans are also pretty sore that despite a much more sucessful 5 year period, UC gets their knob slobbered by the local media and XU is an afterthought. The answer, of course, is demographics and school size, but it's little solace for those who have watched XU mature into a perennial contender and dominate UC most years until this one.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Here's a final: The mighty Orangemen of Syracuse 62 Pretty Mediocre Marquette 66!
    That's the first time Syracuse has been beaten by a less talented squad in the tournament isn't it? I mean Jim Boeheim has such a record as an overacheiver when it comes time for the NCAA.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Spazzrico View Post
    I think some XU fans are also pretty sore that despite a much more sucessful 5 year period, UC gets their knob slobbered by the local media and XU is an afterthought. The answer, of course, is demographics and school size, but it's little solace for those who have watched XU mature into a perennial contender and dominate UC most years until this one.
    Probably true. I hear that from some Xavier people sometimes. Living out of town for the past 13 years, though, I obviously don't personally notice it. Xavier gets as much positive press as just about anyone on ESPN.com and the other national sites. And I go straight to the Xavier page (or the Reds page) when I visit the Enquirer's website, so I have no idea whether they get better or worse press than anyone else there.

As a fairly new Xavier fan who missed out on the Huggins Era, I have never quite understood the extreme hatred my fellow alums hold for UC fans. Until now. There is an awful lot of smack talk coming from a group of one year wonders. Repeat this year's success and then you have room to talk some trash, Cats fans.

Cue mention of 50 year old national titles in 3, 2, 1....
    The reason I get mad is X fans can't realize that the Bearcats aren't a one year wonder...we return our top 4 scorers and bring in a top 20 recruiting class that still has another addition coming up shortly.

You wouldn't know that we're a great program though, because you missed the Huggins era.

The hatred is why it's a great rivalry, you'll get used to it soon. There is a diff though, some fans can hate and be reasonable at the same time like me!

Quote Originally Posted by Spazzrico View Post
    The Enquirer covers both teams about even IMO, UC has gotten a lot over the past month or so because this senior class went from losing to Belmont in their first game, to getting to the NCAA tournament. It was a special class - thus more attention, plus the Enquirer has missed the Bearcats.

Also, the national media loves Xavier and doesn't talk much about UC.

Quote Originally Posted by NorrisHopper30 View Post
    The reason I get mad is X fans can't realize that the Bearcats aren't a one year wonder...we return our top 4 scorers and bring in a top 20 recruiting class that still has another addition coming up shortly.

You wouldn't know that we're a great program though, because you missed the Huggins era.

The hatred is why it's a great rivalry, you'll get used to it soon. There is a diff though, some fans can hate and be reasonable at the same time like me!
    I didn't miss the Huggins era, I witnessed the whole thing--just not as a Xavier fan. UC then was a lot like Xavier is now imho.

I realize UC will likely be good again next year, but until they prove it on the court I won't buy in. What gets under my skin is the crowing from some corners (see: Lance McAllister and friends) like the Cats are suddenly the second coming of the UCLA Dynasty. It was a good season for sure but not one worthy of the bravado some are exhibiting.

The last 5 years have seen an interesting shift.

Before UC went down, XU had just gotten to the elite 8. However, soon XU lost Matta, then Miller was slow to get the 2005 squad going. It was bad timing, it turns out.

In 2006 they had to win 4 games in 4 days to even make the tourney.

Meanwhile, UC was beginning to flounder very badly. Even Huggins last year was tumultuous.

So, there was still this residual feeling that UC held the upper hand in 2005-06 because XU kind of slumped as well.

2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 were all XU from a local and national standpoint, though, and many began doubting UC would ever be able to return to where it was.

During this 4 year time period, the debate has been pretty well settled that XU is the better program. Enter the 2011 Bearcats...

Next year is going to be a battle royal for the Shootout crown. XU will be loaded and UC still formidable, it would seem.

I don't think it will go back to the big brother, little brother dichotomy any time soon, however. Not like it was. UC fell back, and XU surged forward.

Personally, I think XU could crack the top 10 or even top 5 next year with a good start because I feel they will be ranked top 20 to begin the year. If they get to January with only 1 loss, it could be a special year.

I know XU teams always start slow, but this one has the chance to avoid that with so much experience and high end talent coming back.

Just my opinion.
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    The last 5 years have seen an interesting shift.

Before UC went down, XU had just gotten to the elite 8. However, soon XU lost Matta, then Miller was slow to get the 2005 squad going. It was bad timing, it turns out.

In 2006 they had to win 4 games in 4 days to even make the tourney.

Meanwhile, UC was beginning to flounder very badly. Even Huggins last year was tumultuous.

So, there was still this residual feeling that UC held the upper hand in 2005-06 because XU kind of slumped as well.

2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 were all XU from a local and national standpoint, though, and many began doubting UC would ever be able to return to where it was.

During this 4 year time period, the debate has been pretty well settled that XU is the better program. Enter the 2011 Bearcats...

Next year is going to be a battle royal for the Shootout crown. XU will be loaded and UC still formidable, it would seem.

I don't think it will go back to the big brother, little brother dichotomy any time soon, however. Not like it was. UC fell back, and XU surged forward.

Personally, I think XU could crack the top 10 or even top 5 next year with a good start because I feel they will be ranked top 20 to begin the year. If they get to January with only 1 loss, it could be a special year.

I know XU teams always start slow, but this one has the chance to avoid that with so much experience and high end talent coming back.

Just my opinion.
    It's definitely been an interesting history, and I think next year will be crazy. Both teams should be pre-season top 25 (UC returns top 4 scorers and top 20 rec class) and the shootout will be wild.

I guess Marquette was "pretty mediocre" after all. Oh well, wait until next year.

I guess Marquette was "pretty mediocre" after all. Oh well, wait until next year.
    Mutaman, thanks for making this feel just like the comments section of every Xavier article on cincinnati.com! I'm glad to know you care so deeply about Xavier and the opinions of its fans.

Mutaman, thanks for making this feel just like the comments section of every Xavier article on cincinnati.com! I'm glad to know you care so deeply about Xavier and the opinions of its fans.
    Sorry, I didn't realize you were so fagile. My post related to an earlier discussion between myself and Caveat Emperor- see posts 210 et seq.

I don't know the first thing about Xavier, but it sounds like some of their fans might have a serious inferiority complex.
    Last edited by Mutaman; 03-27-2011 at 06:30 PM.

Sorry, I didn't realize you were so fagile. My post related to an earlier discussion between myself and Caveat Emperor- see posts 210 et seq.

I don't know the first thing about Xavier, but it sounds like some of their fans might have a serious inferiority complex.
    Thanks, bud. I know exactly what you were referring to. I'm not "fragile" as you put it, nor do I (or other Xavier fans) have an inferiority complex. I'm quite secure with XU's place in the basketball world. I have no problem with other teams' fans feeling passionately about their program. What I take exception to is someone trolling on a Xavier thread. You may not think that is what is going on, but why come in and post the type of things you do knowing darn well they will be inflammatory? If I want smack talk there are plenty of other boards I can go to. Reds Zone is better than that.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

You should probably PM me if you want to continue a private conversation with me, don't you think?
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    You should probably PM me if you want to continue a private conversation with me, don't you think?
    Gee, I faithfully read the guidelines regularly so I don't offend anyone, but i wasn't aware of all these unwritten rules in effect here. Even when I'm conceeding I was wrong, some people get offended. It was not a "private" conversation. It was quite public, and this is the thread where it took place.

What I take exception to is someone trolling on a Xavier thread. You may not think that is what is going on, but why come in and post the type of things you do knowing darn well they will be inflammatory? If I want smack talk there are plenty of other boards I can go to. Reds Zone is better than that.
    Except my comments were not "trolling", only a super sensitive person would consider them "inflamatory", and your uptight reaction is a perfect example of why Red Zone is a pale imitation of what it once was.

Turn Off Ads?