View Poll Results: Will Jay Bruce be called up before Tuesday's game

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

25 37.31%
  • No

42 62.69%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Will Jay Bruce be called up before Tuesday's game?

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Will Jay Bruce be called up before Tuesday's game?

Will Jay Bruce be called up before Tuesday's game?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Senor Votto

Re: Will Jay Bruce be called up before Tuesday's game?

No, Patterson will get a hit Tuesday and Jay will stay down till September.

Its difficult to predict because logic and sound decision making seem to have no influence on what this team actually does, but I say yes. Unfortunately, I think the motivation will be to create a circus to boost the gate, but if it gets him up and in the line-up I'm all for it. The team probably has no idea that its a good baseball decision.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Its difficult to predict because logic and sound decision making seem to have no influence on what this team actually does, but I say yes. Unfortunately, I think the motivation will be to create a circus to boost the gate, but if it gets him up and in the line-up I'm all for it. The team probably has no idea that its a good baseball decision.
    Jocketty knows it's a good baseball decision.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

it was an obvious decision weeks ago. What makes it more compelling starting today?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Jocketty knows it's a good baseball decision.
    I like Jocketty too, but his lack of making this move earlier has me doubting him. Saying there is no place for him to play is just unbelievable. There are two OF spots where he'd be an immediate upgrade. The difficulty is determining which steaming pile to remove. The one in CF or the one in RF. Get him in the line-up and sort that out later.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I would have voted yes a few days ago but based on the interview with Hal during the rain delay a few nights ago it sounded like the team wanted to make a trade before bringing him up. Also it seems like the team does not want him to play center so if they are waiting on a trade I don't think we will see Bruce for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    it was an obvious decision weeks ago. What makes it more compelling starting today?
    Super Two. No doubt that's why they're waiting.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

I fear even if Bruce does come up tomorrow (which I suspect) and Dusty is "forced" to start him, Dusty will bat him ninth and the pitcher eighth or something.

"Hey, it's just the lineup," Baker said to the Fake News. "Everyone knows the order of the lineup doesn't really matter. People talk about OPS but I don't even know what that means. Back when I was hitting behind Hank Aaron -- I was actually on deck when he cured Polio -- no one talked about no OPS. Plus, I see LaRussa and that guy with job security in Milwaukee batting the pitcher eighth all the time and it looks pretty cool."

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Super Two. No doubt that's why they're waiting.
    if they are smart and follow the recent trend of signing youg guys long before arbitration then super two is not even an issue.

if they are smart and follow the recent trend of signing youg guys long before arbitration then super two is not even an issue.
    Super Two is always an issue. Long term contracts are structured around what a player would get in the future. A long term contract for a Jay Bruce who would be eligible for Super Two would involve more money than a long term contract for a Jay Bruce who would not be eligible for Super Two.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    Super Two is always an issue. Long term contracts are structured around what a player would get in the future. A long term contract for a Jay Bruce who would be eligible for Super Two would involve more money than a long term contract for a Jay Bruce who would not be eligible for Super Two.
    the problem is that super two is a moving target as it is a percentage of eligible players and you don't know how many players that will be ... so if super two is the reason(and Jocketty said it wasn't) then you wouldn't want to bring him up for a bit.

the problem is that super two is a moving target as it is a percentage of eligible players and until you reach the end of the season you don't know how many players that will be ... so if super two is the reason(and Jocketty said it wasn't) then you wouldn't want to bring him up for a bit.
    The safe historical cutoff for Super Two is two years, 128 days. It's gone as high as 140 days, but it hasn't gone lower than 128 days in several years (if ever). Yes, it's a moving target, but it's a moving target that only goes so low.

The Reds should do what exactly what the Brewers did to Braun. They waited until the safe date to call him up last year, and then they gave him a contract extension with a Super Two clause that if he's eligible his long term contract is worth $6 million more. The best thing about that clause is it's just window dressing to satisfy Braun and his agent; the Brewers timed the promotion just about perfectly so they know they won't have to pay that extra $6 million.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

the stuff that losing organizations are made of ... and the explanation doesn't work for the Longoria signing.

The Reds are going out of their way to spite their fanbase this year. You almost have to applaud their lack of caring. There's brazen, and then there is Patterson and Jr. in the line-up batting first and third while Jay Bruce torches AAA. Now THAT is brazen. Well done, Reds. WELL done.

Turn Off Ads?