Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: NHL Thread

Re: NHL Thread

Great game from our Jackets tonight! Rick Nash had a Hat Trick!!! Scored a Short handed goal, a Power Play goal, and an Empty net!
    Let's make some noise!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Anyone see the outdoor game today between the Pens and Sabres? I was out all day, so I missed it, but 70,000+ people out in the snow watching hockey rules.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Anyone see the outdoor game today between the Pens and Sabres? I was out all day, so I missed it, but 70,000+ people out in the snow watching hockey rules.
    It was a fun game to watch.

I'm not a huge fan of the shootout as a means of tiebreaking, but it was probably the most exciting shootout I've ever watched. Snow falling hard, wind blowing, and players trying to keep the puck moving with a good 1/4" of snow on the ice.

Fun times. The NHL should make it an annual event.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Looked too cold, huge snowflakes.. then I watched UM play... as for shootouts, I don't care too much for them... but I'm an addled sports fan (US wise) I don't mind ties in the season, it works point wise in hockey and soccer just fine.

I also like foreign films without resolutions... and pedal steel too.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

I did not attend the outdoor game today (others in our season ticket holder group did) as I am much bigger fan of warm weather than cold. I was at dinner with someone who did go and he was still frozen a couple hours afterwards. He said it was well worth it though - the place was electric (except during ice repair times).

The visuals were terrific in HD (in my nice warm apartment). It was great to see hockey celebrated like that as well. Hopefully, the TV ratings are decent enough to have NBC consider this for an annual Jan 1 event - rotating between northern US cities.

I am one that does that mind the shootout as I never liked ties. However, I would like the point system revised for a total of 3 points given out in a game. A regulation winner gets 3, an OT or shootout winner gets 2 with the OT/shootout loser getting 1.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8 View Post
    I did not attend the outdoor game today (others in our season ticket holder group did) as I am much bigger fan of warm weather than cold. I was at dinner with someone who did go and he was still frozen a couple hours afterwards. He said it was well worth it though - the place was electric (except during ice repair times).

The visuals were terrific in HD (in my nice warm apartment). It was great to see hockey celebrated like that as well. Hopefully, the TV ratings are decent enough to have NBC consider this for an annual Jan 1 event - rotating between northern US cities.

I am one that does that mind the shootout as I never liked ties. However, I would like the point system revised for a total of 3 points given out in a game. A regulation winner gets 3, an OT or shootout winner gets 2 with the OT/shootout loser getting 1.
    I thought it was pretty awesome. How many venues do the have available in NHL cities though? NY, Chicago and Boston come to mind. Maybe Toronto leaves the Rogers Centre open. Maybe they could play a neutral site game sometime, like Pittsburgh and Detroit meeting up in Cleveland Browns Stadium.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    It was a fun game to watch.

I'm not a huge fan of the shootout as a means of tiebreaking, but it was probably the most exciting shootout I've ever watched. Snow falling hard, wind blowing, and players trying to keep the puck moving with a good 1/4" of snow on the ice.

Fun times. The NHL should make it an annual event.
    As a Penguins fan, I was disappointed that I got to see only OT and the shootout. Like you, I'm not a huge fan of the shootout. But then, at least each team gets an equal shot unlike the sudden-death NFL OT. But I digress...

And that was a fantastic shootout. Letang actually being able to cross-over with the puck to deke and then push across the tying goal through that snow was almost unbelievable, especially knowing that he's a Defenseman. And then Crosby (who actually hasn't been all that good in shootouts) took advantage of an opportunity that lasted a microsecond.

I also found it interesting that the opposing goalies are two of the very very few who've played an outdoor game before at either the college or pro level.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    I also found it interesting that the opposing goalies are two of the very very few who've played an outdoor game before at either the college or pro level.
    Don't forget your tuque!
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I thought it was pretty awesome. How many venues do the have available in NHL cities though? NY, Chicago and Boston come to mind. Maybe Toronto leaves the Rogers Centre open. Maybe they could play a neutral site game sometime, like Pittsburgh and Detroit meeting up in Cleveland Browns Stadium.
    I would think it could rotate between Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Detroit, Chicago and Minnesota (once an outdoor stadium is built).

For the Canadian cities, I think it is more appropriate to play an outdoor Canadian game on Hockey Day.

Steel - Crosby's shoot out goal was beautiful. Of course as a Sabres fan, I was hoping for Miller to stone him, but it is so hard to root against Crosby - not only supremely talented but seems like one hell of a nice guy.

Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8 View Post
    Steel - Crosby's shoot out goal was beautiful. Of course as a Sabres fan, I was hoping for Miller to stone him, but it is so hard to root against Crosby - not only supremely talented but seems like one hell of a nice guy.
    Crosby seems way grounded, which is impressive for a guy who's accomplished so much at such a young age.

Right now, the Pittsburgh franchise is in kind of a weird place. The torch has been passed from Lemieux to Crosby. I certainly wouldn't position that Crosby is the same level of talent as one of the two best (with Gretzky) players the game has ever seen. But the Crosby/Malkin combo has the potential to be an upper middle class version of the Lemieux/Jagr combo.

What's been frustrating to me so far is the lack of progression from players like Marc Andre Fleury and Jordan Staal (who's having an awful year). Well, that and the Pitt management can't seem to figure out what actual defensemen look like. And don't get me started on the poor return for Jagr. That trade sucked huge the day it was made.

I have little doubt that unless things change for the better, the Sabres will be in the playoffs this year while the Pens will be on the outside looking in while wondering what happened.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Crosby seems way grounded, which is impressive for a guy who's accomplished so much at such a young age.

It's probably because Super Mario made him stay in his basement and sat on him like a momma polar bear.

By the way, nice ratings for the Winter Classic - highest NHL ratings for a regular season game in 10 years.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

First outdoor NHL game played in US draws big TV numbers
    January 2, 2008

NEW YORK (AP) -- More people tuned in on New Year's Day to see the NHL play outdoors than any other regular-season game in more than a decade.

The Penguins-Sabres game in snowy Buffalo -- the first regular-season outdoor NHL game in the United States -- drew a 2.6 overnight rating and a 5 share on NBC. Those were the best numbers since a six-game regional telecast on Fox drew a 3.0 overnight rating and a 7 share on Feb. 3, 1996.

ADVERTISEMENT
    Pittsburgh won 2-1 in a shootout on a Sidney Crosby's score before a crowd of more than 71,000 at Ralph Wilson Stadium.

The big numbers, in the stands and on TV, came three years after the NHL lockout forced the cancellation of an entire season and after last season's Stanley Cup finals on NBC drew record-low ratings.

"We're delighted by the success of this historic event," NBC Sports president Ken Schanzer said. "The Winter Classic exposed hockey to a larger audience and definitely made new fans of the game."

The Winter Classic ratings also surpassed Wayne Gretzky's final game, which was broadcast on Fox on April 18, 1999, and drew a 2.5/6.

The Buffalo and Pittsburgh markets led the ratings, at 38.2/58 and 17.7/30, respectively. But markets such as Sacramento, Calif., St. Louis and Denver also drew strong ratings, even though the game went up against a number of college football bowl games, including an intriguing Capital One Bowl between Florida and Michigan.

"This was one of the best events I've ever been a part of as a player, coach or broadcaster," NBC game analyst Eddie Olczyk said. "It truly was a memorable experience and a great day for the sport of hockey."

Overnight ratings measure the 55 largest TV markets in the United States, and each ratings point represents about 735,000 households. The rating is the percentage watching a telecast among homes with televisions, and the share is the percentage tuned into a broadcast among those households with televisions on at the time.

C-Bus (Columbus OH for non-Jim Rome fans)

I was into the NHL/pro hockey for many years and was stoked when we got our franchise in 2000 (Jackets) after many years of outrageous support for the Columbus Chill--I went to the opener and was still excited even after Tony Amonte kicked our as-es for Chicago. I continued to watch, attend and support but finally grew weary after many years of losing. Add to that, we had the modern version of a snake oil salesman in Doug McLean continuing to make excuses and bark at media and fans (even on his call-in show!). Then the Jackets did the most deadly of sins--give up and not even play with effort or passion. Then of course we had the cancelled season and eventually I decided that I already followed enough sports--why not give up on the NHL and free up some time?? So I did. I really didnt miss hockey that much.

However, I did attend the New Year's Eve Jackets game vs. Edmonton. Kind of a tradition for me and the missus. As SeanCaseyRules stated, Rick Nash had a hat trick and the place was electric. I also found myself continuing to watch the Winter Classic on New Year's Day even as I tried to turn the channel to the Capital One Bowl. The setting was amazing...the pregame renditions of Oh Canada and God Bless America were stirring...and even with the continued stoppage of play for ice repair..the game was entertaining. With the recent news of the ratings win for the Classic, this must become an annual event...so maybe just maybe hockey has won me back.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan1966 View Post
    so maybe just maybe hockey has won me back.

You should really like us now, especially since we are playing VERY well!
    Let's make some noise!

I'm not a hockey fan but I turned over and watched some of this game on New Year's Day. It was really cool seeing this outside with the snow falling. I would think the NHL will look to play more of these outdoor games. On PTI yesterday Michael Wilbon suggested they have an outdoor game every Sunday afternoon in the winter. Sounds like a good idea to me and I would probably watch at least parts of the game.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?