Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Updated: Reds send Rosales AND Roenicke to minor league camp

Updated: Reds send Rosales AND Roenicke to minor league camp

Reds send Rosales to Minors camp
    Up-and-coming infielder impressed Baker with .321 spring
    By Jim Molony / MLB.com

SARASOTA, Fla. -- The Reds re-assigned infielder Adam Rosales to Minor League camp Sunday morning, reducing the number of players in the Major League camp to 49.

The Reds' Minor League Hitter of the Year and a Florida State League All-Star last season, Rosales had been invited to camp despite having only three years of professional experience. He was a 12th-round pick in the 2005 First-Year Player Draft.

Rosales, 24, impressed Reds manager Dusty Baker this spring, batting .321 (9-for-28) with a home run, two RBIs and six runs scored.

"He had a real good spring," Baker said. "Played all over, hustled, showed great attitude, great aptitude. For a young guy, he can play different positions hard. He can play both sides of second base, works hard, hustles all the time."

On Saturday, the Reds optioned catcher Craig Tatum and right-handed pitcher Daryl Thompson to Double-A Chattanooga. The club also re-assigned right-hander Jon Adkins to the Minor League camp.

The cuts left Cincinnati with 50 players on the roster, including pitcher Bobby Livingston, but Livingston is on the 60-day disabled list.

Further cuts will be coming soon, as the Reds still have 25 pitchers in camp with Opening Day just two weeks from Monday.

"These innings are becoming more and more precious," Baker said.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds send Rosales to Minors camp

Juan effing Castro???????????

GOD PLEASE NO.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Oh yes. It will happen. Oh yes.

Castro has officially kicked the door down now; he'll be on the roster.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

We've been Castrated

Just when I start to like Krivsky a little bit he allows @#$% like this to go down.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    Castro has officially kicked the door down now; he'll be on the roster.
    On the roster, Hell, he's our Opening Day SS now.

Baker has been talking up Jerry Gil throughout ST so there's still a chance Gil could make the team as the backup shortstop over Juan Castro, or at least I can hope. I have never understood the infatuation with Castro. The guy doesn't bring anything to the table - his defense is terribly overrated, his bat is one of the worst in major league baseball, and he's slow. It must be his veteran presence.

He's no base clogger.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Baker has been talking up Jerry Gil throughout ST so there's still a chance Gil could make the team as the backup shortstop over Juan Castro, or at least I can hope.
    Are you kidding?

Gil is one of the few guys who I am 100% confident is WORSE than Castro with a bat in his hands. 670 career minor league OPS, 403 major league OPS. Not once, in his entire major/minor league career, has the guy ever cleared the 300 OBP barrier.

Jerry Gil makes Juan Castro look like Ernie Banks.

Why Not Andy Green?? he plays SS, 2b, 3rd and OF... he is hungry to make the team and he keeps hitting.. and he is from KY..he wants it bad!!

Would he be a younger Freel?

I'm in!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    Are you kidding?

Gil is one of the few guys who I am 100% confident is WORSE than Castro with a bat in his hands. 670 career minor league OPS, 403 major league OPS. Not once, in his entire major/minor league career, has the guy ever cleared the 300 OBP barrier.

Jerry Gil makes Juan Castro look like Ernie Banks.
    At least Gil has a little power compared to Castro. Gil hit 27 homeruns in 2006 in 493 atbats. Yeah he lacks any OBP skills at all but so does Juan Castro (Career .269 OBP in 2211 MLB atbats). If it were up to me, neither of them would make the team but unfortunately is appears one of them will, and I'm hoping its Gil because he can provide a little "pop".

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    At least Gil has a little power compared to Castro. Gil hit 27 homeruns in 2006 in 493 atbats.
    One fluke season does not a power hitter make.

Gil has a career 395 SLG in the minors, which is not appreciably different than Castro's minor league career 386 SLG. However, Castro's minor league career 330 OBP is leaps and bounds better than Gil's career 275 OBP in the minors.

TWO SEVENTY FIVE. That is just flat-out pitiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    One fluke season does not a power hitter make.

Gil has a career 395 SLG in the minors, which is not appreciably different than Castro's minor league career 386 SLG. However, Castro's minor league career 330 OBP is leaps and bounds better than Gil's career 275 OBP in the minors.

TWO SEVENTY FIVE. That is just flat-out pitiful.
    Like I said earlier, I don't want either of them one the team, but if I had to choose one it would be Gil. Gil's 27 HR season may have been a fluke but Castro never had a fluke season like that. The most HR Castro has hit in a season, majors or minors, is 9 back in 2003. Gil has hit two homers in 7 spring atbats also. Maybe his power is developing...he was listed at 6'3" 183 last season and now he's at 6'3" 200. Again, I'm no big fan of his but I prefer him over Castro.

Turn Off Ads?