Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Chapman not closing tonight

Kneel before Zod Cant Touch This's Avatar

Chapman not closing tonight

At the Bats / Mud Hens game in Toledo.

Bottom of the 9th, Bats up 6-5. Danny Rey Herrera called upon to close. I thought chapman had been closing, but I'm not certain.

Not really reading anything into it. Yet.

FYI Dorn hit an absolute bomb out to RF tonight.
    A flute with no holes is not a flute. A doughnut with no holes is a danish. -- Zen Philosopher Basho

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Chapman not closing tonight

Maybe they're saving him for his call up tomorrow.

Johnny Cueto Fan

Quote Originally Posted by crazyjdawg View Post
    Maybe they're saving him for his call up tomorrow.
    Fingers crossed.

Why haven't they called him up yet? I would have thought he would have been up in The Show already.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Per the ORG, Homer was scratched from his start tonight.

My guess (and I hope I'm right) is that Leake is DL-bound and Nix is going to be DFA'd. Homer called up to replace Leake and Chapman gets Nix's spot on the roster.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    Why haven't they called him up yet? I would have thought he would have been up in The Show already.
    We don't have any room for him. Fisher and Bray are really the only two guys I can see going down for Chapman, but he'd only be a serious upgrade over Fisher.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post

My guess (and I hope I'm right) is that Leake is DL-bound and Nix is going to be DFA'd. Homer called up to replace Leake and Chapman gets Nix's spot on the roster.
    Maybe Carlos Fisher gets sent back since he won't be availabe for several games after his performance last night.

DL bound for what reason?
    Cincinnati Reds
    Marshall Thundering Herd

Kentucky Wildcats
    Indianapolis Colts

Washington Wizards

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Maybe Carlos Fisher gets sent back since he won't be availabe for several games after his performance last night.
    That's what Nomar was talking about during the broadcast last night. That makes too much sense for Dusty
    Cincinnati Reds
    Marshall Thundering Herd

Kentucky Wildcats
    Indianapolis Colts

Washington Wizards

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan_12 View Post
    DL bound for what reason?
    Shoulder inflammation? Weak arm syndrome? Anything to get him on the DL for some rest and to reduce his innings pitched. Plus, it doesn't hamper the big club as far as rosters moves go. Nor does it burn one of his options (as it would if they just sent him to the minors).

Quote Originally Posted by Rockermann View Post
    Shoulder inflammation? Weak arm syndrome? Anything to get him on the DL for some rest and to reduce his innings pitched. Plus, it doesn't hamper the big club as far as rosters moves go. Nor does it burn one of his options (as it would if they just sent him to the minors).
    If he is still using options 4 years from now he is not going to be much of a pitcher. Just send him down. Plus once he spends 20 days in the minors you add one year to his FA timeline.

He is not a 18 or 19 year old. If he is jumping up and down from the minors in 4 years he would be close to being waived anyway.

takealeake

Dream scenario: Cordero somehow gets traded through waivers for another overpaid veteran player who can at least play the infield and give you a hit or two Cairo esque.

Fransisco and Fisher get sent down. Leake gets moved to emergency long man for the rest of the year to cut his innings. Bailey takes over Leake's spot in the rotation, and Chapman is the new closer/set up man.

Yeah insane pipe dream I know.

takealeake

Add on to this, I saw this on MLB trade rumors:

From 2001-2008, Carlos Beltran was at least a five-win player every year except for '05. Even last year, despite missing July and August with a bone bruise behind his knee, Beltran provided value. However, the Mets and Beltran battled about his decision to have January knee surgery, a procedure that delayed his 2010 debut until July 15th. Beltran's first 90 plate appearances and 180 innings in center field have gone so poorly that David Waldstein of the New York Times says the Mets would let him go for nothing if a team claims him off waivers this month.

Waldstein finds a waiver claim "extremely unlikely," as Beltran is owed over $5.5MM this year and $18.5MM in 2011 before his contract is up. He has a full no-trade clause. Waldstein expects the Mets to be open to trading Beltran this winter but believes the outfielder's salary will be an impediment. He suggests the Mets would be reluctant to assume much of Beltran's contract in a trade.

Straight up trade for Beltran and we throw in someone who's equally useless making salary to even it up, or ask them to put in money. I would trade Cordero in a second for that deal.

Nix batted .500 in July, he has become a very good bat off the bench

You think Edmonds can hit .500 for a month coming off the bench?

Turn Off Ads?