Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast

Thread: 8/29/2012 Reds at D'Backs

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Re: 8/29/2012 Reds at D'Backs

Why is Chapman warming up? And LeCure?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I thought we left Wily on top of the car and just drove away.

Wheeler flies out.
    If that was an intended pun, consider me impressed.

Elmore singles
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    He's been abysmal at the plate this year, I don't think anybody will argue that point. But at the same time, he's been VERY good defensively. So here's the question, why do we have to do anything with Stubbs? It's not like he's hurting us. It seems like he should be, but we're in first place with the best record in the majors...so just how much is he really hurting us with the bat that he's not making up with the glove? Right now, the only change I think that is needed is a move in the order for him (and Cozart), but considering where we are in the season...does anybody really think Dusty will change it since if you look at the standings it seems to be working?
    I was talking about the longer term. I don't know if anything should be done right now given his good defense. Not many good alternatives right now. Yes, he will probably be dropped in the order.

But longer term, the guy just can't hit major league pitching over an extended number of PAs.

It's disappointing, I thought he was doing better earlier in the season. Maybe the answer is to get him a platoon partner, or to trade him, or maybe you just swallow your medicine and keep him hitting seventhg or eighth.

But he gets in these hitting funks which are beyond belief. Just strikes out time after time after time, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    What are we going to do about Stubbs?
    Have him put down?

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

As I tell my kids, it's not what you're doing that's wrong, it's what you're not doing.

Stubbs defense is solid. But how much better would the offense be if he was batting 7th or 8th with someone else in the 2-hole?

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    As I tell my kids, it's not what you're doing that's wrong, it's what you're not doing.

Stubbs defense is solid. But how much better would the offense be if he was batting 7th or 8th with someone else in the 2-hole?
    The offense would be better, except when the 7th or 8th hitter was up.

I was talking about the longer term. I don't know if anything should be done right now given his good defense. Yes, he will probably be dropped in the order.

But longer term, the guy just can't hit major league pitching over an extended number of PAs.

It's disappointing, I thought he was doing better earlier in the season. Maybe the answer is to get him a platoon partner, or to trade him, or maybe you just swallow your medicine and keep him hitting seventhg or eighth.

But he gets in these hitting funks which are beyond belief. Just strikes out time after time after time, etc.
    I agree he SHOULD be dropped in the order, but will he is the question? At this point, I don't think so. I think that once Joey comes back everything will go back to how it was BEFORE he went down. Phillips back in cleanup. It's wrong IMO, but it's how it'll be IMO.

SWEEEEEEEP! And this one belongs to the Reds!

We're still good!

And have as many wins as we did in all of 2006!
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

I don't see a benefit to dropping him in the order at this juncture. He's woefully bad wherever you hit him.

I'm in favor of Heisey taking over. He's a better overall player, at this particular time. That said, Bruce to center and it gets Frazier in the lineup. I say get 'er done.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I just watched all 4 homers on mlb.com. I've had their package all season. Love how you can watch replays quickly.

I hadn't paid attention to the schedule and didn't realize we had a day game until we were eating dinner & I checked my phone to see who was playing. It was the 8th inning when we were up just 3-2.

Sweet win, sweet sweep - on to Houston (which I hope we won't take lightly - don't think we will).
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

What are we going to do about Stubbs?
    Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    He's been abysmal at the plate this year, I don't think anybody will argue that point. But at the same time, he's been VERY good defensively.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    I don't see a benefit to dropping him in the order at this juncture. He's woefully bad wherever you hit him.

I'm in favor of Heisey taking over. He's a better overall player, at this particular time. That said, Bruce to center and it gets Frazier in the lineup. I say get 'er done.
    I look for Stubbs to get plenty of playing time in Houston this weekend. With the cavernous CF they have in the Juice Box, you need someone who can cover a lot of ground.

When the Reds get back home, you could see more of Heisey in CF, and possibly also see the Grand Experiment of Bruce in CF and Frazier going to the OF in one or two games.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post

Then there will be issues that player x doesn't have proper protection from Stubbs. It ain't broke.

Turn Off Ads?