Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Selig's term extended through 2012 at $15M per year

Re: Selig's term extended through 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Baseball is in great shape, except when it's time to renegotiate the CBA. It would be interesting to see breakdowns based on teams. I would suspect the disparity of revenue earned by teams in different markets has increased as some of the more valuable teams have been able to start their own cable networks and enter into marketing agreements with professional sports entities in other leagues to expand their reach globally while other teams are limited in how far they can go to expand revenues.
    Actually I really don't think all of baseball is in great shape. I think the big market teams are thriving but the smaller market teams are not doing as well. There is an economic divide that I really don't feel like discussing at all.

I do believe that baseball has grown monetarily inspite of Selig. You have a few teams with their own networks while you have other teams that have very good TV contracts. Not to mention national TV contracts. There is also satellite radio as well as both video and audio broadcast over the internet that bring in a lot of money.

I wonder what this economic downturn is going to do to attendance, especially in the midwest?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Morons!

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Actually I really don't think all of baseball is in great shape. I think the big market teams are thriving but the smaller market teams are not doing as well. There is an economic divide that I really don't feel like discussing at all.
    I agree but I think the small markets are more competitive than they were 10 yrs ago. Progress has been slow indeed. Bud made the decision that slow change w/o a work stoppage was preferable to all out armegeddon. In both of the most recent CBAs revenue sharing has increased. I'm still not satisfied that our Reds have a level playing field but it is better.

Why not just call him Commissioner for Life Bud Selig and be done with it? Or Baseball's High Potentate?

Though I think he should be required to parade around in a military uniform with a chest full of bogus medals as part of the deal.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Has been since 1876, one time only it thinned enough and that was during the first wave of expansion and even then the new teams were hamstrung something awful. But the real rub is the game centers around the big towns, that's why the AL moved into NYC and Chicago before they claimed Major League status, that's why the Continental League forced expansion by playing around with a team in Flushing Meadows. It's why they let the Braves and the A's bolt their "new" towns in the 60's.. because there was more money in those bigger cities, then they'd just throw another team at the lawsuit over letting the first team leave.

It is a business and like most of them it's a constant shell game.

I wonder what this economic downturn is going to do to attendance, especially in the midwest?
    More Dollar Hot Dog nights

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I agree but I think the small markets are more competitive than they were 10 yrs ago. Progress has been slow indeed. Bud made the decision that slow change w/o a work stoppage was preferable to all out armegeddon. In both of the most recent CBAs revenue sharing has increased. I'm still not satisfied that our Reds have a level playing field but it is better.
    Disagree here. In the past 10-20 years teams like the Reds, Royals, Pirates, and Twins were very relevant. The Twins have had an impressive run as of late but never got passed the first round of the playoffs. I believe in the 90's the Reds and Royals were amongst the teams with the highest payrolls. Also during that time the Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, and White Sox were pretty poor.

Man, and they talk about the importance of the game's INTEGRITY

mmmm, dollar hot dogs

They just don't want to go to the trouble of finding anyone else. Who knows what a new guy may do?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

The man is 73 years old. He's not going to spend 4 more years in that job. This is largely symbolic, but ill-timed, coming on the heels of his lackluster Congressional testimony.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    They just don't want to go to the trouble of finding anyone else. Who knows what a new guy may do?
    Yep. The new guy might do something scary, like try to grow the sport and improve the competitiveness of all teams rather than putting out hare-brained ideas like contraction. Sometimes I get the feeling they keep Selig around because they like the status quo. Small market teams like to complain about revenue disparity, large market teams like to paint small market teams as not wanting to win, and owners and the players union like to paint each other as the bad guy. A new commissioner might actually try to pressure small markets to improve in exchange for more revenue from big market teams. He (or she) might even get the owners and players union to realize that the sport might be more profitable for owners and players if they worked together. Such ideas might be too much for people who have spent so much time painting their opponents as evil incarnate.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Baseball owners fire or run the guys out who cause a ruckus, they gave the Judge too much rope and he helped stunt the growth of the game at times with is old world views, they ran Vincent off and Peter U.... Bud once sued MLB and now he's the commissioner, forty years is a long time, and he's currently been here longer then all of them.

Crazy game, crazy business.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    The man is 73 years old. He's not going to spend 4 more years in that job. This is largely symbolic, but ill-timed, coming on the heels of his lackluster Congressional testimony.
    Is he really 73? Gosh, he doesn't look it.

Did I just compliment Bud Selig?
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post

Did I just compliment Bud Selig?
    Unless you think he looks about 90...

Sounds like crypt keeper has become emperor for life, a la Landis.

Turn Off Ads?