Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mystery team jumps into Tomo Ohka negotiations

Mystery team jumps into Tomo Ohka negotiations

From Rotoworld:

An undisclosed team joined the Blue Jays, Nationals and Pirates as finalists for free agent Tomo Ohka with a bid made on Sunday.
    Ohka is expected to make his decision by the end of the week. The Mets, Mariners, Red Sox and Diamondbacks previously had interest in Ohka, but the mystery team isn't necessarily from that group. It's especially unlikely that either Boston or Arizona made a late bid. The Astros, Cardinals, Reds and Giants could all use one more starter and might be candidates.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Mystery team jumps into Tomo Ohka negotiations

I sure as heck wouldn't mind adding him to the end of the rotation.

anthonyb

we should go out and sign this guy

immediately

at a reasonable right price

Meh. Can't get too excited about a guy with a K/9 under 5.

He's BTWWH (Better than what we have), I guess.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Putting him in there sure beats whoever we'd put in the #5 spot. I love Homer Bailey, but he's not ready yet. Adding Ohka would make the bottom of our rotation more solid. Does anyone really have any confidence at all in Elizardo after the way he folded last year under the heat of the pennant race?

With Harang and Arroyo, the top of our rotation is in very good shape, and if just one of the three out of the group of Milton, Lohse or Ohka worked out, we'd have three good starter's, which is more than most teams in the NL can probably say. Ohka is by no means a top of the rotation pitcher, but our infield defense should be better this year, and adding a ground ball pitcher sure as hell wouldn't hurt for a change. Hopefully we can get it done. I"m not holding my breath, though.
    Last edited by cincrazy; 01-22-2007 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Does anyone really have any confidence at all in Elizardo after the way he folded last year under the heat of the pennant race?
    Maybe pitching on back to back days, extra innings on the first day in relief, starting the next day then subsequently getting injured might have had something to do with how he pitched.

You do not give up on 23 year old starters that have an excellent changeup and hit 94 mph with their FB. All he needs is a little movement on that fastball. I think Soto, if brought to ST again this year can help him with this.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Does Elizardo really throw a 94 mph heater? I thought he averaged quite a few mph below that.

What, you guys don't like what we got already?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Does Elizardo really throw a 94 mph heater? I thought he averaged quite a few mph below that.
    92-94 is what i saw in quite a few starts. His problem isn't heat. He's got that. It's movement. He doesn't walk a lot of guys either. He needs a little wrinkle on his FB. I think he's a fine #3. Better than Milton or Lohse.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Ohka is by no means a top of the rotation pitcher, but our infield defense should be better this year, and adding a ground ball pitcher sure as hell wouldn't hurt for a change. Hopefully we can get it done. I"m not holding my breath, though.
    Ohka was a groundball pitcher earlier in his career, but the past few seasons he has been almost exactly neutral.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Does anyone really have any confidence at all in Elizardo after the way he folded last year under the heat of the pennant race?
    I'd say the growth that EZ showed from 2005 to 2006 alone warrents him being the front runner for #5.

And he was doing moderatley well until the debacle in Philly and then was injured. In fact, he wasn't even really around during the "heat of the pennant" race was he? So I wouldn't say he folded.

It would be interesting if they could snag Ohka AND make a deal for Milton.

What does everybody think about Ohka, Loshe and EZ as the 3,4 and 5? I'm not advocating that, mind you, just throwing it out there. That is versus the alternative of Milton, Loshe and EZ.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 01-22-2007 at 05:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    What does everybody think about Ohka, Loshe and EZ as the 3,4 and 5? I'm not advocating that, mind you, just throwing it out there.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Turn Off Ads?