Turn Off Ads?
Page 67 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1757636465666768 LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 1015

Thread: The 2007 Major League Baseball Amateur Draft Discussion Thread (Day 1)

Re: The 2007 Major League Baseball Amateur Draft Discussion Thread (Day 1)

I have no complaints about the first day, and I really like the first three picks. Soto sounds like a real ineresting prospect too.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Not wild about the first pick; generally okay with all the others.
    Not wild about a 5 tool catcher in a farm system with out any real catching prospects. I liked this pick. I am like everyone else I question the Cozart pick but maybe the Reds see something in him. They say he hits off his front foot and inside outs the ball, that can be adjusted. The good thing is with that swing is going the other way most of the time. But from the Video it looks like he doesn't have that great of bat speed and this is why he swings like he does. I could be wrong and most of the time I am. LOL

I'm not going to complain either. It was an "okay" draft, IMHO.

Keith Law had Cozart as the #39 draft prospect in his last free ranking of the top 100. Still, it seems like he has a pretty low ceiling and is just a "safe" pick in the sense that he should contribute in the major leagues as a utility guy some day. Still, would have rather seen someone like Griffeth or Danny Rams with that pick.

Lets all remember that we were all going "Huh?" and scratching our heads about last years picks as well... Now everyone is aboard the Valakia bandwagon. Buckley has always had an interesting draft philosophy. Seems to take a lot of players who, by scouting reports, are not as highly thought of by others. But they seem to perform.

I think he saw sometihng in Cozart, obviously, to take him. Lets give him a fair shake, even if he isn't as high on the expert's rankings lists as we would have liked.

Valakia was pegged as "utility" from all reports last year, and he's doing well.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco View Post
    Lets all remember that we were all going "Huh?" and scratching our heads about last years picks as well... Now everyone is aboard the Valakia bandwagon. Buckley has always had an interesting draft philosophy. Seems to take a lot of players who, by scouting reports, are not as highly thought of by others. But they seem to perform.

I think he saw sometihng in Cozart, obviously, to take him. Lets give him a fair shake, even if he isn't as high on the expert's rankings lists as we would have liked.

Valakia was pegged as "utility" from all reports last year, and he's doing well.
    Very good point! I was just reading about the picks and was thinking "eh?"

Quote Originally Posted by Redmachine2003 View Post
    Not wild about a 5 tool catcher in a farm system with out any real catching prospects. I liked this pick. I am like everyone else I question the Cozart pick but maybe the Reds see something in him. They say he hits off his front foot and inside outs the ball, that can be adjusted. The good thing is with that swing is going the other way most of the time. But from the Video it looks like he doesn't have that great of bat speed and this is why he swings like he does. I could be wrong and most of the time I am. LOL
    I can't get too worked up about the Cozart pick, but squandering a first pick on a guy who doesn't possess a single *outstanding* skill is pretty ill-advised in my opinion.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

The 2007 Major League Baseball Amateur Draft Discussion Thread (Day 1)

Texas has the best draft so far. Beavan, Main, and Borbon.

Re: The 2007 MLB Amateur Draft Selection Thread

Quote Originally Posted by AdamDunn View Post
    Texas has the best draft so far. Beavan, Main, and Borbon.
    To be honest, I'm not that big a fan of any of those 3 guys.

Pick for pick, I really liked the job the Braves did.

Re: The 2007 MLB Amateur Draft Selection Thread

I really enjoyed this thread today. Thanks for all the info, I don't follow amateur ball that much and it was interesting to hear what everybody had to say about some of the players on the board.

As for the Reds draft, it seems like it's been fairly good so far. Cozart seems like a bit of a reach, although Keith Law did have him rated at #39 and we got at #79, 40 slots lower, so maybe there is something there. I guess we'll have to wait and see. I would have liked it if the Reds had added at least one more big framed pitcher but hopefully that'll happen tomorrow.

edit: sorry, wrong thread. if a mod can move this to thw discussion thread that'd be cool.
    Last edited by pedro; 06-08-2007 at 01:02 AM. Reason: I'm stupid.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I can't get too worked up about the Cozart pick, but squandering a first pick on a guy who doesn't possess a single *outstanding* skill is pretty ill-advised in my opinion.
    An "outstanding" skill in high school is usually quite meaningless except to suggest a future high ceiling which may or may not ever be realized. Even guys who do have an outstanding skill sometimes unravel on closer inspection.

You really have to look at the whole package for prep players, IMO. Even then, you usually don't know what you're getting until 2 or so years down the road.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Hitting Ability: Mesoraco has a ton of hitting ability, using a little leg kick in his approach, and doesn't swing at bad pitches.
    Power: Mesoraco has plus power. Right now, it's more pull power, but eventually he'll develop power to all fields.
    Running Speed: He's a fringy-average runner, which is pretty good for a catcher.
    Arm Strength: He has a plus arm and isn't afraid to use it in pick-off attempts.
    Arm Accuracy: His throws are always right on the money.
    Fielding: Mesoraco has plus hands behind the plate.
    Range: A terrific athlete, Mesoraco is outstanding at blocking balls in the dirt.
    Baseball Instincts: Off the charts. He's got great makeup, he's very aggressive and he's a natural leader behind the plate.
    Physical Description: Mesoraco is a strong backstop with a body type that might remind some of a Joe Girardi or Ivan Rodriguez.
    Medical Update: Mesoraco missed much of 2006 following Tommy John surgery, but now is completely healthy and clearly is having no problems with his throwing.
    Strengths: He's a complete package. He can hit with power and he can play defense with a strong arm and soft hands.
    Weaknesses: He tends to get out on his front foot on his swing from time to time.
    Summary: Mesoraco has answered any questions about his arm following Tommy John surgery a year ago and is on the rise among catching prospects. He's a complete catching package, with hitting ability, power, good hands, a plus arm and outstanding leadership ability.

So hitting ability, power, good hands, accurate throwing arm, leadership ability hmmmm sounds like skills to me.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Hitting Ability: Mesoraco has a ton of hitting ability, using a little leg kick in his approach, and doesn't swing at bad pitches.
    Power: Mesoraco has plus power. Right now, it's more pull power, but eventually he'll develop power to all fields.
    Running Speed: He's a fringy-average runner, which is pretty good for a catcher.
    Arm Strength: He has a plus arm and isn't afraid to use it in pick-off attempts.
    Arm Accuracy: His throws are always right on the money.
    Fielding: Mesoraco has plus hands behind the plate.
    Range: A terrific athlete, Mesoraco is outstanding at blocking balls in the dirt.
    Baseball Instincts: Off the charts. He's got great makeup, he's very aggressive and he's a natural leader behind the plate.
    Physical Description: Mesoraco is a strong backstop with a body type that might remind some of a Joe Girardi or Ivan Rodriguez.
    Medical Update: Mesoraco missed much of 2006 following Tommy John surgery, but now is completely healthy and clearly is having no problems with his throwing.
    Strengths: He's a complete package. He can hit with power and he can play defense with a strong arm and soft hands.
    Weaknesses: He tends to get out on his front foot on his swing from time to time.
    Summary: Mesoraco has answered any questions about his arm following Tommy John surgery a year ago and is on the rise among catching prospects. He's a complete catching package, with hitting ability, power, good hands, a plus arm and outstanding leadership ability.

So hitting ability, power, good hands, accurate throwing arm, leadership ability hmmmm sounds like skills to me.
    As I said, he's a jack of all trades; which sounds good, but usually means he's just sort of okay in everything.

Plus, catchers are huge risks. If his bat really does develop, I'd love to see him moved from catcher.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

I don't follow the draft stuff a whole lot.

But these things from his scouting report have me pretty optimistic:

If he's got the bat, it sounds like he's got enough natural ability that he could make a go of it not only behind the plate, but also at first, third, or one of the corner OF slots. Soft hands and a strong arm lend themselves well to a variety of positions around the diamond if there's a decent bat that comes with it.

That's it? No glaring problems like strike zone judgement, holes in his swing, less than average arm, bad footwork / positioning / mechanics, etc?

Sounds like the kid has some nice potential.

As I said, he's a jack of all trades; which sounds good, but usually means he's just sort of okay in everything.

Plus, catchers are huge risks. If his bat really does develop, I'd love to see him moved from catcher.
    What baseball prospect isn't a huge risk? There is no such thing as a can't miss prospect in baseball.

A kid that rakes in college might have issues switching to a wood bat.
    A great starter in college might have been used to much and his arm could be dead.
    A great high school pitcher might have career ending arm surgery.

From what I've seen about this kid (not very much at all), he seems to have the possibility to be a good pro catcher. If we get that with our first pick of the draft, then I am happy. If he doesn't materialize, I'm not going to call for WK's head.

Turn Off Ads?