Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: You can resurrect only one of these singers..who do you choose?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kurt Cobain

9 16.07%
  • Jimmy Hendrix

10 17.86%
  • Jim Morrison

6 10.71%
  • Freddy Mercury

4 7.14%
  • John Lennon

18 32.14%
  • None of these

16 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: A genie gives you the chance to resurrect a singer that died to soon

Re: A genie gives you the chance to resurrect a singer that died to soon

Ian Curtis and D Boon must be mentioned. Both Joy Division and the Minutemen were on the ascendancy when they died.
    Gram Parsons and Chris Bell are immortals.

Those of you that prefere Grohl to Cobain hear music a different way - I feel very sorry for you. Cobain was the best rock artist in the last 20 years.

2. Likes:

redsfandan (06-14-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    Ian Curtis and D Boon must be mentioned. Both Joy Division and the Minutemen were on the ascendancy when they died.
    Gram Parsons and Chris Bell are immortals.

Those of you that prefere Grohl to Cobain hear music a different way - I feel very sorry for you. Cobain was the best rock artist in the last 20 years.
    Was that necessary?

I don't dislike Nirvana at all. I simply prefer the Foo Fighters. I also prefer STP to Pearl Jam. Am I going to be flamed for that, too?
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Was that necessary?

I don't dislike Nirvana at all. I simply prefer the Foo Fighters. I also prefer STP to Pearl Jam. Am I going to be flamed for that, too?
    Meh, if I came in here and started claiming The Wings were better than The Beatles then I'm pretty sure I'd hear it from the older folks.

Nirvana = The Beatles for Generation Y...

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    Easily Cobain
    I'm not gonna waste my wish on anyone that purposely took their own life. But someone who had their life tragically taken from them, cut short?.... that, IMO, is a different story.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Sappy and mediocre, he lost his edge and was doomed to put out Paul McCartney type solo albums, good but nothing great.
    IMO, music is generational. Each generation wants their own "identity". Hard to stay on top, continue relevancy. If Morrison and Hendrix had lived I think they would have faded, like the majority of 60's rock stars, as we progressed into the 70s.

Doomed to put out McCartney type albums? Not Lennon's style, just as McCartney couldn't put out a Lennon style album. McCartney's solo career was far more successful as far as commercial success goes. "Silly Love Songs" was his forte for the most part. But I enjoyed everyone of Lennon's solo efforts (separating the Yoko dribble), regardless of the fact it didn't bring him chart success. Other then the occasional love song to Yoko (very tiring), I wouldn't call any of his music sappy or "muzak".

I loved his songs on Double Fantasy. What was mediocre or sappy about them? I think sometimes people expected too much, musically-wise from Lennon. It's very hard to equal the Beatles - even for an ex-Beatle. But some of Lennon's most powerful songs, even as a Beatle, were very simplistic, basic, in nature. IMO, Lennon's songs were very personal, in nature, to him. He wasn't a very complex person.

I think that if Lennon had lived, at some point he and McCartney would have collaborated together again. Not forming a band or anything, but just that desire to work together again. Regardless of all the crap that went down with the break-up of the Beatles, time had healed those wounds, and I've read several books where acquaintances/friends of Lennon revealed he wanted to work with Paul again at some point.
    Last edited by GAC; 12-22-2012 at 05:09 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTruck View Post
    I'd rather have Biggie Smalls back than Tupac.
    Are they not still releasing new songs?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

How about a baseball player?

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Was that necessary?

Well you shouldn't be, Pearl Jam sucks.
    Go Gators!

Can't find a video. Scroll down to the Clown Juice EP by Peter Cooper for "Nirvana Was Better Than Pearl Jam".

http://www.petercoopermusic.com/fr_music.cfm
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    How about a baseball player?

Stenson? Probably for a different topic though. Boy could hit.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

This is purely my opinion, but I think Lennon deserved another chance unlike the rest of the people in this poll. He'd been through the whole Beatles things, had hit rock-bottom, and then had rebuilt his life. He had a lot to live for and I think would have been a great artist going forward. Not as edgy as he had been, but I think his talent and intelligence and emotions would have created some pretty interesting music.

From a personal standpoint, I would have loved to see where Jimi Hendrix's music would have gone. The man's guitar style and playing was one-of-a-kind and pure genius. Rock, blues, jazz, or some purely personal meld of the 3, it might have been pretty cool. If he could have gotten away from drugs, that is. Otherwise, he would have just been a junkie.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I'm not gonna waste my wish on anyone that purposely took their own life. But someone who had their life tragically taken from them, cut short?.... that, IMO, is a different story.
    Courtney Love

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    IMO, music is generational. Each generation wants their own "identity". Hard to stay on top, continue relevancy. If Morrison and Hendrix had lived I think they would have faded, like the majority of 60's rock stars, as we progressed into the 70s.

Doomed to put out McCartney type albums? Not Lennon's style, just as McCartney couldn't put out a Lennon style album. McCartney's solo career was far more successful as far as commercial success goes. "Silly Love Songs" was his forte for the most part. But I enjoyed everyone of Lennon's solo efforts (separating the Yoko dribble), regardless of the fact it didn't bring him chart success. Other then the occasional love song to Yoko (very tiring), I wouldn't call any of his music sappy or "muzak".

I loved his songs on Double Fantasy. What was mediocre or sappy about them? I think sometimes people expected too much, musically-wise from Lennon. It's very hard to equal the Beatles - even for an ex-Beatle. But some of Lennon's most powerful songs, even as a Beatle, were very simplistic, basic, in nature. IMO, Lennon's songs were very personal, in nature, to him. He wasn't a very complex person.

I think that if Lennon had lived, at some point he and McCartney would have collaborated together again. Not forming a band or anything, but just that desire to work together again. Regardless of all the crap that went down with the break-up of the Beatles, time had healed those wounds, and I've read several books where acquaintances/friends of Lennon revealed he wanted to work with Paul again at some point.
    I am a huge Beatles fan and I love all of the solo work, I was just saying I found Double Fantasy sappy and mediocre particularly Beautiful Boys and Dear Yoko.

I like McCartney's solo work too, just saying most of it is forgetable, enjoyable but forgetable.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord View Post
    i voted Lennon, but given the chance it's actually a guitarist i'd resurrect: Criss Oliva of Savatage.
    Both of these and Harry Chapin also.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Harry Chapin is a great choice.

IMO, Warren Zevon still had more quality music left in him. Too bad that many only remember Zevon for "Werewolves Of London".
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Turn Off Ads?