Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: MLS 2014 thread.

Re: MLS 2014 thread.

Quote Originally Posted by 5TimeWSChamps View Post
    Got my tix for next Saturday against Toronto. If they can beat Philadelphia/Seattle/Toronto back to back to back, would be an amazing start
    That's looking to be a great game. Toronto comes to town with their high-priced talent and the second most obnoxious fan base after Seattle.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I never would have guessed the Crew would start 3-0. I really want to find the time to get down for a game now. Just a fun team to watch.
    They became my sleeper pick for 2014 the second they got Parkhurst. He does a half dozen subtly brilliant things every game. The Revs still haven't filled the hole he left when he went to Denmark. I like Tchani's game too. He's one of the best destroyers in the league.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

What was Seattle doing on that last Columbus goal? Giving anyone that much space, let alone with 30 seconds left in the game is inexcusable.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    What was Seattle doing on that last Columbus goal? Giving anyone that much space, let alone with 30 seconds left in the game is inexcusable.
    They claim the ref distracted them, which I really didn't see. I got the impression Seattle was time wasting hoping the ref would blow the final whistle as soon as the corner was taken. Some Seattle blogger claims they were waiting for the ref to whistle ready for the corner, but the rules don't require a player to wait for the whistle on a corner. The reality was that they got caught napping.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Interesting development, soon-to-be MLS team owner David Beckham insists the league needs to get rid of its salary cap.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Interesting development, soon-to-be MLS team owner David Beckham insists the league needs to get rid of its salary cap.
    He claims he's spoken with a number of "friends" who want to come over to play for Miami. My guess is that he wants to sign a bunch of his old buddies to play but wants to do away with the rule that limits teams to 3 DPs. If I'm MLS, I tell him he knows the rule and it wouldn't be wise to start rocking the boat before his team plays a match. Has he even paid the expansion fee yet? All I've heard is that he announced he wishes to exercise his option for Miami and they are looking at stadium sites. At this point it's unwise to act as though everything is a done deal. Cleveland was once awarded an expansion franchise and had a stadium site all set to go, and it all blew up when voters rejected a referendum on a tax to pay for infrastructure.

Although it would be oddly appropriate given the location, my other concern is that Beckham's team will become a retirement community for washed up Europeans.

I'm watching the Timbers-Sounders match on NBCSN and it's a real barnburner. 4-2 Portland in the 57'. Back and forth in the first half, but the Timbers have taken the advantage in the second. Both teams playing attacking ball and the Portland crowd is in top form.

Also, De'Andre Yedlin looks like he has a brick of ramen noodles stuck on his head.

Wow. Dempsey scores for Seattle, then Portland concedes a penalty less than a minute later. Dempsey buries it to get the hat trick and tie the score, 4-4.

I'd note quite a few University of Akron alumni have been involved in this game: Darlington Nagbe, Yedlin, Ben Semanski, and now Steve Zambian is coming in.

Both teams still trying for 3 points. Neither content to settle for a tie.

And it ends a tie, 4-4. Just a crazy game. If you're a fan of the EPL, I'd encourage you to check out the MLS this season. There have definitely been some exciting games already this season and they've had quite an influx of talent to raise the level of play.

That Sounders/Timbers game was really great and super entertaining. It's too bad not every MLS, or soccer game for that matter could be like that one.

For example I went to the Galaxy/Chivas game yesterday and while it was nice that LA won 3-0 I don't think Chivas ever got out of bed. LA is trying out a diamond midfield this year with all their new faces and it did look pretty good yesterday. Chivas just played 9 or 10 behind the ball and tried to hold on.

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

Being a noob to soccer, what style does MLS most identify with, or do they lack a definitive league-wide style?
    Witty signature.

Quote Originally Posted by sonny View Post
    Being a noob to soccer, what style does MLS most identify with, or do they lack a definitive league-wide style?
    Well I think it varies from team to team. The league in general is pretty physical in nature.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    That Sounders/Timbers game was really great and super entertaining. It's too bad not every MLS, or soccer game for that matter could be like that one.

For example I went to the Galaxy/Chivas game yesterday and while it was nice that LA won 3-0 I don't think Chivas ever got out of bed. LA is trying out a diamond midfield this year with all their new faces and it did look pretty good yesterday. Chivas just played 9 or 10 behind the ball and tried to hold on.
    There are quite a few exciting teams, but I wouldn't expect much when Chivas is playing. I wouldn't expect games involving Sunderland or Cardiff to be thrilling either.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    There are quite a few exciting teams, but I wouldn't expect much when Chivas is playing. I wouldn't expect games involving Sunderland or Cardiff to be thrilling either.
    True enough. I try to avoid Chivas games, but I held out hope that they might be competitive given their start to the season.

Turn Off Ads?