Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cueto Makes Jump to AAA

Talkin' Baseball

Cueto Makes Jump to AAA

With all the Homer Bailey and Phil Dumatrait talk, this kid just made a statement. Johnny Cueto who started the year at A Sarasota moved up to Louisville last night and won his first start. Some contend he is the 2nd best pitching prospect in the organization. Looks like they aren't giving him the Homer treatment.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cueto Makes Jump to AAA

Quote Originally Posted by JLB5 View Post
    With all the Homer Bailey and Phil Dumatrait talk, this kid just made a statement. Johnny Cueto who started the year at A Sarasota moved up to Louisville last night and won his first start. Some contend he is the 2nd best pitching prospect in the organization. Looks like they aren't giving him the Homer treatment.
    They don't have to, he's 23 and they've been limiting his innings as well (about 5 per start). Nothing wrong with a bump up to AAA if you are 23 and pitching very well in A+. Though I'd ask why it wasn't Carlos Fisher looking at stats for the year so far. He was better at Sarasota, and has started at AA and done well as well, plus he's older.
    Last edited by hebroncougar; 05-30-2007 at 08:44 AM.

Folks, it was a one start call up. Louisville needed a starter and it was Cueto's turn. He's heading back to Sarasota.

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegsToday View Post
    Folks, it was a one start call up. Louisville needed a starter and it was Cueto's turn. He's heading back to Sarasota.
    Thanks for the info. I thought there was something strange about it. Was it Livingston's turn to go?

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    They don't have to, he's 23 and they've been limiting his innings as well (about 5 per start). Nothing wrong with a bump up to AAA if you are 23 and pitching very well in A+. Though I'd ask why it wasn't Carlos Fisher looking at stats for the year so far. He was better at Sarasota, and has started at AA and done well as well, plus he's older.
    I thought he was 21?

Quote Originally Posted by eastkyred View Post
    I thought he was 21?
    Absolutely correct. I did my math wrong!

Talkin' Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegsToday View Post

Thanks, I didn't know that. Cutler was talking about his start on The Homer this morning. The way he talked it was a true call up. Gotta like his K/BB ratio.

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    Just a conjecture, but if I was a G.M., I'd be more carefull with an 11th-Round pick in 2005 (Fisher) than a non-drafted free-agent from 2004 (Cueto). My scouts would have given me a higher opinion of the 11th round pick than the non-drafted Free-Agent, so I could take more risks with the latter, such as bringing him up two levels in one year to see what he could do, and if he doesn't do well, what have I lost? I'll just send him back down. Fisher, however is on a track to the bigs in some capacity, and I'd like to make it as smooth as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Just a conjecture, but if I was a G.M., I'd be more carefull with an 11th-Round pick in 2005 (Fisher) than a non-drafted free-agent from 2004 (Cueto). My scouts would have given me a higher opinion of the 11th round pick than the non-drafted Free-Agent, so I could take more risks with the latter, such as bringing him up two levels in one year to see what he could do, and if he doesn't do well, what have I lost? I'll just send him back down. Fisher, however is on a track to the bigs in some capacity, and I'd like to make it as smooth as possible.
    Cueto was signed out of the Dominican Republic. It's not like he went undrafted after 50 rounds or anything.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Fisher and Cueto are two completely differnt things. Firstly, Fisher was born in the country and therefor had to be eligible to the draft. Secondly, when he was drafted it was jsut his second year pitching EVER.

Cueto on the other hand was a free agent signing because he was born outside of this country. Like all Latin America players, they are able to sign with whoever they want once they turn 16 years old.

Completely different things, and niether has to do with talent or scouts opinions at the time of the signing.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Fisher and Cueto are two completely differnt things. Firstly, Fisher was born in the country and therefor had to be eligible to the draft. Secondly, when he was drafted it was jsut his second year pitching EVER.

Cueto on the other hand was a free agent signing because he was born outside of this country. Like all Latin America players, they are able to sign with whoever they want once they turn 16 years old.

Completely different things, and niether has to do with talent or scouts opinions at the time of the signing.

Thanks, Doug. I was hoping you'd jump in there with some clarity. So, what is your opinion about how you think G.M.'s might treat players differently based upon where they were drafted, such as Mark Reynolds being given the opportunity to play 3B for the D-Backs after only about 5-6 weeks in AA when they had the 25-year old Jaime D'Antona ahead of him in AAA who is currently at .882 OPS.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 05-30-2007 at 07:44 PM.

Thanks, Doug. I was hoping you'd jump in there with some clarity. So, what is your opinion about how you think G.M.'s might treat players differently based upon where they were drafted, such as Mark Reynolds being given the opportunity to play 3B for the D-Backs after only about 5-6 weeks in AA when they had the 25-year old Jaime D'Antona ahead of him in AAA who is currently at .882 OPS.
    D'Antona got hurt also which opened up the door for Reynolds... otherwise James D would have gotten the call.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco View Post
    D'Antona got hurt also which opened up the door for Reynolds... otherwise James D would have gotten the call.
    Again, more clarity. What an incredible job by Reynolds to take advantage of a freak situation.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Once a player is comes onto an organization, and pitches for a while, I doubt his original draft postion figures much into how he is handled, other than you might expect a first round pick likely has more potential than a 20th round pick. But if the 20th round pick suddenly displays 1st round potential, he'd be treated the same way.

While I think your premise is close to the truth, I don't think its the whole truth (in my opinion anyways). I suspect a first round pick would be given infinent more chances than a 25th round pick. A 1st round pick would most likely be bumped up to the next level (assuming its age appropriate) as long as he didn't completely suck the prior year, while a 25th round pick will have to prove himself more at one level before getting bumped up to the next level.

However, if both the 25th round pick and the 1st round pick come into the minor leagues tearing things up and looking like the top 2 prospects in your organization, then both will most likely move up thru the organization at the same rate w/ the exception of injuries or other prospects blocking their way on the level above them.

Turn Off Ads?