Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Zach Stewart's progress

Re: Zach Stewart's progress

Other than him having a no trade clause and wanting to be closer to home.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Other than him having a no trade clause and wanting to be closer to home.
    Boston picked up a third baseman this off season. If supposition carries the day, I suppose Rolen would've restructured his contract in order to coax Boston into trading for him.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Boston picked up a third baseman this off season. If supposition carries the day, I suppose Rolen would've restructured his contract in order to coax Boston into trading for him.
    Except that supposition has no basis. Far Different than a guy with no trade rights saying he wants to be dealt close to home and close to home only means Cincinnati of the available options.

Can't help it if you can't see the difference.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Except that supposition has no basis. Far Different than a guy with no trade rights saying he wants to be dealt close to home and close to home only means Cincinnati of the available options.

Can't help it if you can't see the difference.
    There is no difference.

Toronto: "Well Scott. We really couldn't find a scenario that worked. How would you like to play the final year of your contract with a contender? You might get a ring. But even if no ring, there's a great chance you'll be in a pennant race and be able to increase your value when hitting the market if you play the way we think you can".

Scott: "OK!"

Seriously this notion that it was Cincy all the way and no other way is lets just say as ways go, way overplayed.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    There is no difference.

Toronto: "Well Scott. We really couldn't find a scenario that worked. How would you like to play the final year of your contract with a contender? You might get a ring. But even if no ring, there's a great chance you'll be in a pennant race and be able to increase your value when hitting the market if you play the way we think you can".

Scott: "OK!"

Seriously this notion that it was Cincy all the way and no other way is lets just say as ways go, way overplayed.
    But when he went to the Jays and said he didn't want to play there any more he didn't say he wanted to go to a contender. He said he wanted to be close to home. That's not Boston, NY. Denver, Minneapolis, Seattle, LA or even Milwaukee, Chicago or Detroit. Its Cincy and St. Louis.

Seems its a much bigger leap to claim that he'd go somewhere else than it is to claim he'd only go to Cincy. My notion is based on something he actually said. What was your scenario based on again?

Seems the guy took a pay cut and then signed an extension at the lower wage to stay close to home. What about that says increase my value on the open market? He wasn't really concerned about upping the offer from someplace he didn't really want to go anyway.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    3) I flunked Geometry, but I think Cleveland, Detroit, Kansas City, Minnesota and Milwaukee are all still in the Midwest. And pretty much all of them were/are looking for a 3B, and Rolen is an upgrade over what they each currently have.
    Geography

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

While everyone is talking about the what ifs in that trade, what if we had kept Stewart and Roenicke somehow and not made that trade. Maybe they go into the draft and don't take Mike Leake or Brad Boxberger in the first rounds. Maybe they don't sign Aroldis Chapman during the offseason. Maybe we're still stuck watching EE airmail throws to first base. We don't really know anything for sure about how things went down last year. I was a little unsure of the trade at the time but now I'm glad we made it and I'll gladly take Aroldis, Mike, Brad, and Scott being part of the Reds organization. I don't miss watching EE attempt to play third base.

Are there any updates on how Zach is doing now? I only ask because that's the title of this thread and I don't know when the next start is for him.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    While everyone is talking about the what ifs in that trade, what if we had kept Stewart and Roenicke somehow and not made that trade. Maybe they go into the draft and don't take Mike Leake or Brad Boxberger in the first rounds. Maybe they don't sign Aroldis Chapman during the offseason. Maybe we're still stuck watching EE airmail throws to first base. We don't really know anything for sure about how things went down last year. I was a little unsure of the trade at the time but now I'm glad we made it and I'll gladly take Aroldis, Mike, Brad, and Scott being part of the Reds organization. I don't miss watching EE attempt to play third base.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    My notion is based on something he actually said. What was your scenario based on again?
    The notion that supposition is supposition.

Is your assertion fact or supposition?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post

Are there any updates on how Zach is doing now? I only ask because that's the title of this thread and I don't know when the next start is for him.
    The Reds had already drafted Boxberger and Leake when they made that trade.

Hasn't pitched since April 15. Probably health-related, but that's a guess.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    The Reds had already drafted Boxberger and Leake when they made that trade.
    But there is a good chance they wouldn't have signed Chapman. Or at least, that's about as safe of an assumption as assuming that he would only be traded to the Reds, or that the Reds could easily sign him as a FA.
    Go BLUE!!!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    But there is a good chance they wouldn't have signed Chapman. Or at least, that's about as safe of an assumption as assuming that he would only be traded to the Reds, or that the Reds could easily sign him as a FA.
    The Reds are only paying Chapman something like $1.5M this season. I don't think it would have stopped them from making the deal. Could be wrong, but I am not sure even the Reds are that cheap. At least not in this kind of deal. It may have stopped them from signing Cairo though.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    That does bring up a point... How important was the cost savings on Rolen for the Reds amateur budget?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    The Reds are only paying Chapman something like $1.5M this season. I don't think it would have stopped them from making the deal. Could be wrong, but I am not sure even the Reds are that cheap. At least not in this kind of deal. It may have stopped them from signing Cairo though.
    My point is that all of these assumptions are pure conjecture.

Who knows...
    1. Whether the Reds could have gotten Rolen without giving up Stewart.
    2. If the Jays were considering trading Rolen to other teams.
    3. If Rolen would have accepted a deal to other teams.
    4. If the Reds could have signed Rolen as a FA
    5. If they could have done so at the same price, while still having EE still on the payroll.
    6. If they would have been able to sign Chapman if none of this had happened.

It's all conjecture, and NO ONE here knows the answers. It wasn't like the KGJ scenario where he publicly demanded to be traded only to the Reds. So instead of playing coulda shoulda woulda, I'm just happy that we have Scott Rolen on this club. If Stewart was the price, so be it. We'll never know if we could have gotten him (and Chapman) for less.
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?