Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #1 prospect?

Voters
116. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yonder Alonso

0 0%
  • Junior Arias

0 0%
  • Brad Boxberger

0 0%
  • Aroldis Chapman

104 89.66%
  • Jonathan Correa

0 0%
  • Zack Cozart

0 0%
  • Danny Dorn

0 0%
  • Juan Duran

0 0%
  • Juan Francisco

0 0%
  • Todd Frazier

0 0%
  • Yasmani Grandal

0 0%
  • Ismael Guillon

0 0%
  • Billy Hamilton

2 1.72%
  • Donnie Joseph

0 0%
  • Devin Mesoraco

8 6.90%
  • Yorman Rodriguez

2 1.72%
  • David Sappelt

0 0%
  • Chris Valaika

0 0%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Who is Redszone's #1 prospect?

Re: Who is Redszone's #1 prospect?

Why? I dunno. I guess it's because of his stuff and ability to learn/ master a third pitch. But they've mentioned him as a bullpen arm not once or twice, but three times in chat.

That tells me he's destined for the pen.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I think Chapman has to be at the top of this list.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

There was talk after last season that flame-throwing Aroldis Chapman would be part of the starting rotation this season, but Bavasi says it probably won’t happen - and may never happen.

“A decision has not been made, but I think it is going to be impossible to get him out of the bullpen,” said Bavasi. “You build your pitching staff from the back to the front - if we can shut you down in the eighth and ninth innings, you aren’t going to beat us.

“Aroldis is killing people out of the bullpen and we’re OK with with what we have for starters,” Bavasi added. “And Arolidis is not going to be able to throw 105 miles an hour as a starter.”
    Anyone want to re-visit their vote now?
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    No, and they shouldn't. The Reds decisions don't change the talent or what he COULD become one day as a starter. That is what I look at when ranking prospects. A shortstop in the Rockies system isn't lesser of a prospect because they have Troy Tulowitzki locked up forever. The Reds multitude of options as starters doesn't change Chapman's prospect value either. If he were on the Pirates, he would be starting.

I'd like to, but I won't. Damn fool thing to do what they are doing but I can't say I didn't see it coming. Once they decided to stick him in the pen last year and he took to it so well the odds became pretty glaring that he was home.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I know it has been said, but it would be a small waste of talent to have Chapman pitching ~50-70 innings a year vs ~220
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

Nah. I voted for Mesoraco the first time and while the resigning of Chad Reinke may get me to waffle I will stay with my vote.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Nah. I voted for Mesoraco the first time and while the resigning of Chad Reinke may get me to waffle I will stay with my vote.
    I voted for Mesoraco as well.

The most valuable bullpen prospect -- even a lights-out reliever -- is still less valuable as a prospect than any position player that projects to be a regular, IMO.

If Chapman is a bullpen guy now, he's not even worthy of Top 10 prospect consideration.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

I hate the decision to put Chapman in the bullpen too but he's still my No. 1 prospect. Hopefully the Reds come to their senses and put him where he belongs next season - in the starting rotation.

No, and they shouldn't. The Reds decisions don't change the talent or what he COULD become one day as a starter.
    Spending his whole career in Cincy as a reliever all but destroys Chapman's chances of making his way back to the rotation much less becoming a top of the rotation starter. The Reds decisions may not change the talent, but how does tanking his chances of ever reaching that potential not affect your ranking?

A decision has not been made, but I think it is going to be impossible to get him out of the bullpen
    If that quote came from Jocketty, then maybe. But that seemed to be Bavasi giving his personal opinion, as opposed to the team's. It seems that the Reds plan on starting Chapman in the pen this year and seeing what happens. I'm not thrilled with that, but not all doom and gloom either.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Turn Off Ads?