Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Chad: I'm done celebrating TD's until the Bengals get back to .500

Re: Chad: I'm done celebrating TD's until the Bengals get back to .500

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Oh yeah, another thing, don't act like it's only fans of other teams getting tired of Chad's schtick. Me and oneupper--and others--are as big a Bengals fans as anyone else.

There's plenty of blame to go around with these CLOWNS, as Roy Tucker so adeptly labeled them, and Chad's actions, IN MY OPINION, represent everything that is wrong with the "LEADERSHIP" of this team. Chad Johnson is the perfect microcosm of why the Bengals are the Bungles and why the Patriots are Super Bowl Champions.
    Somehow, I suspect Chad would be welcome on the Patriots. While I do think leadership is lacking, I think that if the mighty Bellicheck were running the Bengals, he'd focus on fixing the problems on defense before concerning himself with Chad. From what I gather, he'd probable leave it to the other players on the team to rein in Chad's antics.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    Would any WR be worth anything with a bad QB? That is a given.
    Chad seemed to do well with Kitna before Palmer came along. While Kitna is no Scott Mitchell or Gus Frerotte, he's no Carson Palmer either.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Somehow, I suspect Chad would be welcome on the Patriots. While I do think leadership is lacking, I think that if the mighty Bellicheck were running the Bengals, he'd focus on fixing the problems on defense before concerning himself with Chad. From what I gather, he'd probable leave it to the other players on the team to rein in Chad's antics.
    That's exactly what I was implying in my post.

That's exactly what I was implying in my post.
    Fair enough. The thing is, a lot of the stuff that Chad does is secondary to performance on the field. He has his antics, but he still produces on the field. On the other hand, there are plenty of other players on the team whose performance on the field indicates a lack of leadership and I find that more disconcerting. It confounds me when I see Bengals commentators praise a special teamer like Ethan Kilmer (the classic Ryan Freel type - good in his role but not an every down player), while dogging Chad. Yet who has been more vital in Bengals wins? Or how about that "high-motor" Justin Smith? Yeah, he has a high motor, but he always seems to be motoring right past the QB as the tackle just guides him outside and around. There are more players to be held accountable than just Chad and I feel many are far more responsible for the current situation than Chad.

I agree with everything you say, Yacht.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    Would any WR be worth anything with a bad QB? That is a given.
    Yes, it is a given. And does that receiver have the right, or would he come off looking like a self-serving jerk, when seen on camera giving his QB hell, and then continuing to bend his ear on the sidelines, for either throwing an errant pass/INT?

Carson Palmer is one of the best young QBs in the NFL. But when a QB throws an INT he feels like crap and knows he let his team down. He wants to collect himself and try to put it behind him. The last thing he needs is to have one of his receivers, I don't care how passionate he may be, giving him a hard time.

Do I think there is discord between Palmer and Johnson's relationship? No. I think Palmer realizes that Chad is Chad and there ain't much he can do about it, so he tries to make the best of it and keep it on a professional level. But I think if Carson could speak his heart he'd wish Chad would learn to keep his emotions in check at times and tone it down.

You would think that after a guy has, on several occasions, had to come back and apologize because he allowed his emotions to get the best of him - and to his credit, Chad has done this - a "little light" would go off inside his head telling him to quit wearing his emotions on his sleeve.

If I was an opposing coach/defense, and knowing how volatile Johnson is, I'd do everything I could get to frustrate this guy and get him emotionally worked up. Because it would not only take him out of his game; but turns him into a ticking time bomb on that sidelines.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Fair enough. The thing is, a lot of the stuff that Chad does is secondary to performance on the field. He has his antics, but he still produces on the field. On the other hand, there are plenty of other players on the team whose performance on the field indicates a lack of leadership and I find that more disconcerting. It confounds me when I see Bengals commentators praise a special teamer like Ethan Kilmer (the classic Ryan Freel type - good in his role but not an every down player), while dogging Chad. Yet who has been more vital in Bengals wins? Or how about that "high-motor" Justin Smith? Yeah, he has a high motor, but he always seems to be motoring right past the QB as the tackle just guides him outside and around. There are more players to be held accountable than just Chad and I feel many are far more responsible for the current situation than Chad.
    You're absolutely right Yachtzee. And I agree with you on the aspect of commentators (the Freel analogy) praising hustle while ignoring performance. Very good. But on a different note too - those players aren't trying to draw attention to themselves and have this desire to be in the spotlight. A "spotlight" that has two heads to it.

Anyone who states that the Bengal's woes this year can be laid on the shoulders of Chad Johnson are blindly ignorant and simply looking for a scapegoat for a team that came into '08 with high expectations. Johnson is one very talented receiver. The guy is 4th in the NFL in receiving yards. In fact, he's on pace to surpass his finest year (2005). He has led the AFC in receiving yardage the last 4 years.

And you are right about the leadership. Again a separate issue, as performance is. Is a lack of leadership the root cause why Chad gets away with some of his antics? Would true leadership on this team endure Chad's behavior, try to put it in check, and possibly heighten any friction that may exist, causing Chad to want to exit Cincy?

I understand's Chad's passion/competitive nature. What I don't believe is that he needs these antics to somehow "feed" his emotions and raise his game performance to that high level (like a drug). I think he is selling his own talent/natural ability short. He was aggressively recruited at the college level by Erickson (Oregon State), and was instrumental in their 11-1 season and Feista Bowl victory over Notre Dame. Did he need such antics then? Obviously not since the NCAA would not allow it at the college level.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

All the Bengal fans taking up for Binky reminds me of Reds fans who used to take up for Marge.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    All the Bengal fans taking up for Binky reminds me of Reds fans who used to take up for Marge.

Yeah, cause it's exactly the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Yeah, cause it's exactly the same thing.
    I didn't say it was the same thing. It reminds me that people tend to defend their players even when they don't like what they're doing.

Kind of like if someone from CardinalsZone came over here and called you an eyerolling twit. We'd take up for you.... 'cause you're OUR eyerolling twit, dammit.

:
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Nick Saban would be proud of that one.

Wow, this thread is really starting to go downhill fast. We need another week of football so we can flush this last one out of our systems.

I don't think Chad's antics help the team. They may not hurt the team either, but I don't think they help.

But I do think Chad's antics help Chad. I find it interesting that his mid-season slump was after a very good series of opening games where he got criticized for his extra-curriculars. He shut those down, but his game slumped as well. I think he needs that stuff to get himself pumped up. That's just how he is wired.

If he needs a role model, all he has to do is look at TJ. There is a pro's pro.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Chad Johnson = a racist old lady that kept Hitler memorabilia in her house? That's what celebrating touchdowns equates to in your mind?

I just don't think it's the issue. 100% of what anyone knows about the Bengals comes from the media, and it seems pretty obvious to me that the media has a bias with Chad Johnson. There's no story if his celebrations really don't bother his teammates, so Mark Curnutte gets some cryptic quotes from Willie Anderson or somebody and all of a sudden the clubhouse is in turmoil.

Yeah Carson and Chad screamed at each other on the field. It was because Chad ran a wrong route, which he admitted later. Carson was reigning him in right there, but instead of Carson getting credit for leadership, it's just one more example of Chad being a distraction and what is wrong with this team?

Offense: 5th in the NFL
    Defense: 28th in the NFL

But that's not as fun to talk about. Just like it's not as much fun to talk about Reds relief pitching as it is to talk about Adam Dunn striking out or being "lazy".

The Bengals offense can play with just about anyone, it's the defense that is the problem. Chad Johnson will still be here the next time the Bengals make the playoffs, and everyone will love him again when that happens.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Chad seemed to do well with Kitna before Palmer came along. While Kitna is no Scott Mitchell or Gus Frerotte, he's no Carson Palmer either.
    I want Kitna to retire and come back to be Carson's QB coach. His best year was when Kitna was on the sideline and in his ear both in practice and on the sidelines. Of course, they had a stronger offensive line and a good running game to help out too, but I think that Kitna was a part of Carson's great first year as full-time QB.

Oh yeah, another thing, don't act like it's only fans of other teams getting tired of Chad's schtick. Me and oneupper--and others--are as big a Bengals fans as anyone else.

There's plenty of blame to go around with these CLOWNS, as Roy Tucker so adeptly labeled them, and Chad's actions, IN MY OPINION, represent everything that is wrong with the "LEADERSHIP" of this team. Chad Johnson is the perfect microcosm of why the Bengals are the Bungles and why the Patriots are Super Bowl Champions.
    Chad is not a leader on this team, nor does he have to be. The Bengals problem is lack of talent on D, you fix that, people stop talking about "leadership" and "they're not the Patriots." The Patriots have talent on both sides of the ball. You don't blow people out in the NFL with "leadership", whatever that means. IN MY OPINION, intangibles are highly overrated.

I would compare Chad to KGJ, who are stars with immense talent who sincerely want to win but are more apt to clown around and not take anything too seriously and say what's on their mind than be coaches in the huddle or on the field. And I want guys like that on my team. A whole team of them? No, but I also am not going to push them to be my leaders, I'm gonna ask them to win games for me with big plays in big situations. Both are capable of that and that is their role on the team.

BTW, Willie Anderson is a player who should be respected for his play, but he is a bit of a whiner. Complains about stuff but never seems to have any solutions or take care of problems.
    Last edited by traderumor; 12-01-2007 at 06:44 AM.

Turn Off Ads?