Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ouch

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Ouch

I got to thinking today about some of the most painful moments I've been through. Looking back, some of them were probably due to my own stupidity and some of them were fluke accidents, but all of them were moments of intense pain. I know we've all had a few. Here are some of mine.

1. When I broke my arm in 2005 (@#%$ chair) and went in for the x-ray right after. I thought an x-ray wouldn't be any big deal until the darn doc wanted my arm in certain positions I wasn't really willing to put it in at the moment.

2. Slamming my finger in a car door when I was 13. Nothing was broken, but it hurt like heck.

3. Here's one every guy has been through one way or another. I was playing baseball with a couple friends in a local park. I delivered a pitch right down broadway about waist high. It was lined right back where it came from, only slightly lower than the initial release point. My glove hand was slightly slower than the baseball and it struck in a region just a little below my belt buckle. I was on the ground for at least ten minutes trying to catch my breath while my friends were standing around laughing their heads off. All the guy who hit it had to say was, "You shouldn't have thrown it over the middle of the plate."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ouch

I've had my fingers slammed in a car door twice as a kid. Both times reaching back to grab the seatbelt as my brother closed his door on them. Both times in Volvos.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

I was burned in a grease fire on my face, shoulder, both hands, thigh, and both feet. It wasn't painful at all compared to the 30 days of burn therapy that followed. Relative to that, nothing has been painful...except maybe the divorce. I'm not really liking this thread...who brought this up?

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

My sophmore year of football I was cheap shoted and tore my MCL, ACL, Cartledge, Miniscis, and broke the knob off of my femur. never been in so much pain, and I have been hit by a car and had my right leg compound fractured.
    Let's make some noise!

Using my dad's table saw, I had a slat I was cutting kick back into my chest and knock me backwards five feet into a wall. Of course, I couldn't tell anyone because I had removed the kick back preventer and wasn't supposed to be using the saw in the first place. It took about two months to be able to take a deep breath.

Playing soccer, I got kicked in the calf behind the shinguard one time. It swelled up like a football, a deep bruise that kept me from playing for most of the season. The weird thing was that nothing was broken, so I felt like a total sissy, but honestly it hurt worse than the table saw thing.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Last week, my dad somehow got it into his head to put my 9 year old daughter on his Yamaha motor scooter by herself, without a helmet unbeknownst to me. Long story short, she went face first over the handlebars into a cable box in his front yard. The area where her bottom gums attach to her bottom lip were ripped apart on the inside and she now has 13 stitches in her gums.

I love my dad greatly, but if my mom hadn't been there to keep me away from him it would have been ugly.

Something about this thread reminded me of Monty Python

AINSWORTH:
    Yes. Well, the thing is, Sergeant, I've got a bit of a problem here. One of the officers has lost a leg.
    SERGEANT:
    Oh, no, sir!
    AINSWORTH:
    I'm afraid so. Probably a tiger.
    SERGEANT:
    In Africa?
    AINSWORTH:
    Stumm.
    PAKENHAM-WALSH:
    [mumble]
    AINSWORTH:
    Stumm. Stumm. Stumm. The M.O. says we can stitch it back on if we can find it immediately.
    SERGEANT:
    Right, sir! I'll organise a party... right away, sir.
    AINSWORTH:
    Well, it's hardly the time for that, is it Sergeant?
    SERGEANT:
    Look. A-- a search party.
    AINSWORTH:
    Oh! Oh! Ah! Ahh! Much better idea! Mhmm.

VICTIMS:
    [moaning]
    SERGEANT:
    Oh, sorry about the mess, sir. We'll try and get it cleared up by the time you get back.
    VICTIM #1:
    We showed 'em, didn't we, sir?
    AINSWORTH:
    Yes.

SERGEANT:
    Here, we've got a search party. Leave that alone.
    VICTIM #2:
    This is fun, sir, isn't it? All this killing, bloodshed-- Bloody good fun, sir, isn't it?
    RANDOM:
    [cough]
    AINSWORTH:
    Yes. Very good.
    POTTER'S HEAD:
    Morning, sir!
    RANDOM:
    Agh.
    AINSWORTH:
    Nasty wound you've got there, Potter.

POTTER'S HEAD:
    Thank you very much, sir!
    RANDOM:
    Aghh.
    RANDOM:
    Aahh.
    Last edited by klw; 05-08-2007 at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dman View Post
    Last week, my dad somehow got it into his head to put my 9 year old daughter on his Yamaha motor scooter by herself, without a helmet unbeknownst to me. Long story short, she went face first over the handlebars into a cable box in his front yard. The area where her bottom gums attach to her bottom lip were ripped apart on the inside and she now has 13 stitches in her gums.

I love my dad greatly, but if my mom hadn't been there to keep me away from him it would have been ugly.
    Hope your daughter is getting a lot of ice cream to help with the pain.

There's nothing worse than a mouth injury, which reminds me of another ouch- knocked out my front teeth when a bunch of neighbor kids slid down the ice covered driveway up the street and took my legs out from under me, knocking me down, face first. My mouth was a mess to say the least.
    I was seven and had probably only had those teeth for a year.

I've taken a baseball to the area near the groin and broken my cheekbone, slammed my fingers into car doors. While those were all painful, the pain was temporary. By far the worst pain I've ever been it was coming out of anesthesia after ACL surgery. They were a little late getting me on the morphine drip and so it was just about the most pain I can imagine. The additional pain associated with the surgery lingered for 6 months. When I had my appendix out last year, they told me it was about to burst and said I must have a high tolerance for pain because I wasn't complaining about it. After the ACL surgery, everything else just seems less painful.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Oh, and a bulging disk in your back is no picnic either. Whoever said "take care of your legs and your back," wasn't kidding.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Both of mine are fishing related!

I got impatient removing old line from a reel and decided to use a fillet knife, so of course I filleted the top of my thumb off and had to have it sewed back on!

At East Fork I was throwing a crankbait around shoreline cover and barely hung on a tree, I gave it a jerk and stared at my lure in the air all the way back as two of the treble hooks buried in my thigh below the barbs. Emergency room doctor shot a local in and pushed the hooks out and cut the barbs with wire cutters and then slid the hooks back out.

For a Level Playing Field

Believe it or not... 13 broken bones in my lifetime. All but two were sports related. Two toes, each thumb twice and three fingers are included in that, so it is not as terrible as it might sound. The most painful was a broken collarbone that was suffered my junior year in HS playing football. The most pain wasn't until two days after I got home from the hospital. The bone was completely broken in half and they set it together. Keep in mind that you cannot cast a collarbone. I had a harness thing that was put on. They never gave me instructions at the hospital... if they did, I was too medicated on pain killers to remember. Anyhow I had an awards banquet for school. I thought I could make it despite the lingering pain. I hadn't showered in the two days since it broke and of course I needed to clean up. I took the harness off (a no-no!) to shower. Before I could get 1/2 way through the shower I was on my knees in agonizing pain.

I was barely able to wrap a towel around myself and scream to my parents for help. My Dad carried me to their van and laid me in the back. He took me back to the hospital (wearing only a towel). Evidently the bone had slipped back to where it was when it had been broken and the two ends where the break was were rubbing together... hence, the pain. Needless to say I kept that sucker on for the next 4-5 weeks.

I had to lower teeth knocked out catching an elbow in the mouth playing basketball at age 15. After all that, the dentist pushed them back into the sockets. He said it would hurt like hell for a moment or two. He then had me rest my chin on my chest and he pushed them in. He had to push so had the veins in his arms stuck out. His arms literally shook he was pushing so hard. Then there was a very loud bang (air escaping the sockets, that also made it so hard to push them) and they went in. For about a second, it was the sharpest pain I ever felt, then it was just the dull ache of a loosened tooth. I then had root canals done, and I still have them. During the second or third root canal visit, he didn't deaded them, as he said they were dead and woldn't feel anything. Wrong. He drilled into a live toorh- it still had life. I came up with the drill in my mouth. He apologized over and over the rest of the visit.

And Bob Boone's sunday specials.

I bet GAC and Savafan can really add to this.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

I sliced the tip of of my finger off a couple of years ago. Man, that did not tickle.

Later at the ER after they coterized it, I was on my way out the door when the nurse asked if I wanted the severed part back. I said they could "keep the tip."
    Witty signature.

When I was an EMT I made an ambulance run where a guy had run a belt sander up onto his thigh. The sander grabbed his pants and a chunk of his leg and jammed it between the roller and the dust shield. When we got there the sander was attached to his leg, sticking up perpendicular from it. There was no way for us to remove it so we took him to the hospital with the thing still attached.

Man, that one had to hurt.

Turn Off Ads?