Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Thread: More talent: Reds or Cardinals?

Re: More talent: Reds or Cardinals?

You want to compare talent? Here's something to concider: I'm stating here and now the the NL MVP will go to either Votto or Molina. Winning the Div. may just tip the scales as the 2 are very even statwise, with Joey the power and Yadi the defense.

The Brews' Braun has NO shot, even if he hit .400 and won the 3 Crown. Posie would have to have a MONSTER year to repeat. He's not having one yet.

So that's another thing that will help to make this a very memorable year for Cincy and St. Lou, and maybe even Pittsburg. (sorry McCutchen)
    Last edited by Magdal; 05-30-2013 at 01:54 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Magdal View Post
    You want to compare talent? Here's something to concider: I'm stating here and now the the NL MVP will go to either Votto or Molina. Winning the Div. may just tip the scales as the 2 are very even statwise, with Joey the power and Yadi the defense.

The Brews' Braun has NO shot, even if he hit .400 and won the 3 Crown. Posie would have to have a MONSTER year to repeat. He's not having one yet.

So that's another thing that will help to make this a very memorable year for Cincy and St. Lou, and maybe even Pittsburg.
    If Molina wins a batting title and the Cards win the division, he will get the MVP.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    If Molina wins a batting title and the Cards win the division, he will get the MVP.
    True, but ditto for Votto.

High five!

2013 team fWAR (bats & gloves + pitching)
    Reds: 9.6 + 5.5 = 15.1
    Cards: 6.9 + 7.9 = 14.8

I think this is pretty interesting.

WAR

Votto: 3.4

Molina: 1.9

OPS

Votto:1.036

Molina: .875

7. Likes:

NebraskaRed (05-30-2013),OnBaseMachine (05-30-2013),Wonderful Monds (05-30-2013)

The whole reds cardinals comparison thing drives me a little nuts. Sure it's definitely a good thing to keep up with rival organizations and maybe even learn from what they do well. But to me it doesn't matter which organization is more talented, it matters which organization can best translate that talent into wins on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    2013 team fWAR (bats & gloves + pitching)
    Reds: 9.6 + 5.5 = 15.1
    Cards: 6.9 + 7.9 = 14.8

I think this is pretty interesting.
    I'm not a big fan of using WAR to predict team wins.

2012 fangraphs WAR (offense + pitching)
    Reds: 21.9 + 20.1 = 42.0
    Cardinals: 29.0 + 16.8 = 45.8

This excludes fielding because I couldn't find a fWAR or dWAR stat, but the Reds won the division by 9 games. I would expect them to be leading here if WAR was useful for predicting team wins. On baseballreference.com its Reds 43.4, Cardinals 43.0.
    Last edited by Beltway; 05-30-2013 at 10:51 AM.

10. Likes:

REDREAD (05-30-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    WAR

Votto: 3.4

Molina: 1.9

OPS

Votto:1.036

Molina: .875
    As the voters last year proved in the AL MVP voting race, that they don't use WAR to determine the MVP. Plus, I think when you're talking about a catcher, it's a bit difficult to look solely at WAR to determine how good someone at the catcher position is. Fangraphs even admits to that. With how many rookie starting pitchers the Cardinals have used, Molina's value goes beyond simply looking at the numbers.

EDIT: I also can't remember the last time a catcher won the batting title yet didn't win the MVP. Even if Votto has a higher OPS and a higher WAR, if the Cardinals win the Central and Molina wins the batting title, history is on Molina's side as to who will get the edge in the MVP voting.
    Last edited by MikeThierry; 05-30-2013 at 02:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beltway View Post

This excludes fielding because I couldn't find a fWAR or dWAR stat, but the Reds won the division by 9 games. I would expect them to be leading here if WAR was useful for predicting team wins. On baseballreference.com its Reds 43.4, Cardinals 43.0.
    Interesting that you brought that up. If you look at the Cardinals run differential last year, the Cardinals should have had a better record than what their actual record showed. A +117 run differential isn't normal to have for an 88 win team and I think the WAR you pointed out kind of alludes to that. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if what the Cardinals are doing this year is sort of a correction (I'm having a hard time finding the right word to use). It's no surprise that the Cardinals have the best run differential in baseball right now and they have the best record.

If Molina wins a batting title and the Cards win the division ...
    Neither are going to happen.

14. Likes:

foxfire123 (06-02-2013)

High five!

WAR is descriptive; it's not really a predictive measure.

16. Likes:

redsfaninbsg (05-30-2013),wolfboy (05-30-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    WAR is descriptive; it's not really a predictive measure.
    It's not descriptive at a team level. There is too much error.

As the voters last year proved in the AL MVP voting race, that they don't use WAR to determine the MVP. Plus, I think when you're talking about a catcher, it's a bit difficult to look solely at WAR to determine how good someone at the catcher position is. Fangraphs even admits to that. With how many rookie starting pitchers the Cardinals have used, Molina's value goes beyond simply looking at the numbers.

EDIT: I also can't remember the last time a catcher won the batting title yet didn't win the MVP. Even if Votto has a higher OPS and a higher WAR, if the Cardinals win the Central and Molina wins the batting title, history is on Molina's side as to who will get the edge in the MVP voting.
    I think Cabrera completing the first triple crown in 5 decades was the determining factor.

High five!

It's not descriptive at a team level. There is too much error.
    Why not? It describes the value you've gotten thus far.

The point I was making was that the Cards and Reds have gotten similar value from their players thus far this season.

Again, is it too early to settle the debate on who will be better: Rosenthal vs. Broxton?

Turn Off Ads?