Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breast cancer scares?

Breast cancer scares?

Has anyone on here had their spouse/SO have a suspicious mammogram? or themselves, since I know I'm not the only female on here.

Since I have a family history of BC (dad's side) I've been having regular mammograms since I was 30, and yearly since I turned 40. Had my annual one this past tuesday, and this time the results came back as abnormal--the radiologist noticed a change from last year. I'm scheduled for a diagnostic mammogram and possible ultrasound tomorrow morning.

Frankly, I'm terrified. And reading on the internet has not helped that any. I've never been so scared in my freaking life. I like to think of myself as a strong person, and I'm trying so hard to stay positive, but then there's this little demon sitting on my shoulder whispering "you're going to die!" I'm trying to keep myself from completely freaking out, but right now it's not working. All of my family is in Ohio and I don't want to scare them until I know something real, hubby is at work, none of my friends are close by....

I know I'm overreacting, but this is something that has always terrified me anyway, and I've tried to be so proactive about preventing it, and now I feel like I have a ticking time bomb over my head...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Breast cancer scares?

Dont use the internet to self diagnose a medical problem. My wife and I had a terrible time conceiving a child and after reading so many websites, blogs, message boards etc about our problem we were thoroughly convinced we would never conceive. Needless to say my 7 year old biological son would laugh at that silly notion.

Bottom line is you can freak your self out reading alot of misinformation on the net. Wait and talk to an actual doctor before you worry. I know, ive been there.

Hang in there.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

4. Likes:

Joseph (08-03-2013),mdccclxix (08-02-2013),Rojo (08-21-2013)

Retired

Many of the initial abnormal returns turn out to be calcium deposits, or simply a more dense fatty tissue that a standard mammogram cannot identify. It happens pretty often, you don't have anything to be overly concern about yet, relax.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    Many of the initial abnormal returns turn out to be calcium deposits, or simply a more dense fatty tissue that a standard mammogram cannot identify. It happens pretty often, you don't have anything to be overly concern about yet, relax.
    I keep telling myself that, but the paranoid, terrified side is overruling the reasonably intelligent, rational side....

This ^^^^

I've been having regular mammograms since I was 30, and yearly since I turned 40.
    Had the same thing happen to me 6 years ago (age 48). I have been getting mammograms since I was 38 and was told that it was mostly done to have something to compare for later mammograms. But this time they noticed something in one of my breasts - they sent a letter stating that the mammogram came back abnormal and I was to have a digital mammogram and ultrasound at the hospital (not the Health Center). I was terrified... there is no case of BC in my immediate family - I've had an aunt (dad's youngest sister) diagnosed with Paget's disease but that's it. All of this was right before I was to go to spring training (first time) in Sarasota. Got the digital mammogram done along with an ultrasound and both were negative. Then it happened again the next year (same breast)... repeat the same procedure and the outcome was the same... negative. The next year the hospital received new digital mammogram scanners and transferred the whole operation to the main hospital (Heath Center was in a separate building). And so far every mammogram since then the results have been negative.
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Sounds like you have annual exams and tests which is very good. Early detection is key. My mother always had annual exams and one year it came up negative. She had very early stages. This happened around 1996. It was very treatable and she is still alive and doing well for someone 87 years old. Like others have said it could very well be a false positive. That would be the best of course. Best of luck to you and let us know how things turn out when you can.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Same basic thing happened with my wife as with Kitty. She had been getting annual exams and this past year the mammogram showed some things that hadn't been there before. She went through some additional screening and there didn't appear to be anything malignant. But from here on out, it's something the docs will keep a close eye on. For women over 50, the doc said its pretty much par for the course. Most of my wife's friends (she's 52) have similar stories.

We had lots of evenings where I had to get the box of Kleenex and a glass of wine (or 3) and we'd sit at the kitchen island and I'd just let her talk and vent. It was a pretty rough stretch and she's not completely out of the woods. It's more of a condition that will be there and as long as the annual tests show OK, she's good.

The only thing I'll say is take it all one day at a time and don't flip out completely till the docs say it is something real. It's altogether easy to play the "what-if" game and drive yourself crazy with all the things that could happen. What I told my wife was let's wait till we *know* something. Rely on family and loved ones and friends. And talk it out. I'd let my wife talk and cry for about a 1/2 hour and once that emotion was spent, she'd be a little more open to rational talk.

Hang in there.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Same as Roy for me, patience is needed and must be cultivated

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Same as Roy for me, patience is needed and must be cultivated
    Unfortunately, patience is not one of my better virtues. Need to work on that....

Quick update, then I need to get to work.

We got to the hospital a full hour early since it's down in morning rush and construction territory, so they got me in really early. that and the one nurse saw I was nearly in full blown meltdown mode.... The technician took one film, wasn't even sure if she was in the right area since she couldn't find any thing, so she got the radiologist who looked, took 2 more views from different angles, and still couldn't find anything.

So, it's nothing. But I would rather they be cautious and double check than ignore it and miss something, despite the 24 hours of stress it caused me.

12. Likes:

Chip R (08-02-2013),dabvu2498 (08-03-2013),HeatherC1212 (08-02-2013),JB12 (08-02-2013),Redsfaithful (08-06-2013),redsfanmia (08-02-2013),RichRed (08-02-2013),Rojo (08-21-2013),Roy Tucker (08-02-2013),WMR (08-12-2013)

Did you get the ultrasound?
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

I'm a mammographer/radiologist. This is my bread and butter. Roughly 10% of screening mamms are called back for additional views and/or ultrasound. Of that 10%, I'd say the vast majority end up being nothing or something benign like a cyst. Glad your experience turned out to be nothing. Women who are faithful obtaining their annual mamms will get their cancers caught the earliest and have the best outcomes with regards to longevity and quality of life. I'm in no way belittling breast cancer but it's not the horrible disease today it was 20-30 years ago. I tell my patients to find a facility they are comfortable with (preferably a dedicated breast and/or women's center), do self exams, and get annual physical/mammograms and that's the best thing you can do.

And by the way, ANY facility not doing digital mammography these days is a dinosaur and are truly short changing their patients by using their outdated exam.
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." Homer Simpson

"I wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well." Keith Richards

And by the way, ANY facility not doing digital mammography these days is a dinosaur and are truly short changing their patients by using their outdated exam.
    What I didn't like about the extra digital mammogram and ultrasound, along with the added time and stress, was the extra cost. Annual mammograms and pap smears are considered "wellness" and are paid 100% by my insurance every year. Any other procedure goes towards your deductible but is paid out of pocket. My deductible those years were $2,000-$3,000 (it is now $5,000). Luckily I had an HSA that helped along with the insurance company's negotiated rate. Still was a major pain in more ways than one...

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran View Post
    Did you get the ultrasound?
    No, they didn't feel it was necessary. Two different techs/radiologists looked at the second set of films right then, and said they all looked ok. Then got the call from my doc later that same day that it was all good.

I'm sorry you went through that scare, Foxfire. I also went through it with multiple ultrasounds and finally tissue biopsy. Ultimately, I think it was a cyst which some women are prone to. Never makes it less scary.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

My wife is a beast cancer survivor. If you ever get a biopsy that doesn't come back normal, by all means, PM me

Turn Off Ads?