Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mitch Williams.... think before you speak

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Mitch Williams.... think before you speak

Mitch Williams on MLB Tonight talks about how he knew that David Robertson wasn't going to be able to close because of his interview after the Rivera injury because of how he said "He will do his best, but he is no Rivera". Then takes a jab at how 'sabermetric people' say anyone can close, but this is proof that no, they can't.

Mitch Williams probably considers himself a closer. Mitch Williams blew his 2nd save chance, his 4th save chance, his 5th save chance, 7th save chance and his 8th save chance of his career.

I guess he wasn't able to close either.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Worth The Wait

Re: Mitch Williams.... think before you speak

Mitch Williams should know that "sabermetric people" have stats for everything.... and it just came back to toast him Good info!

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Mitch Williams on MLB Tonight talks about how he knew that David Robertson wasn't going to be able to close because of his interview after the Rivera injury because of how he said "He will do his best, but he is no Rivera". Then takes a jab at how 'sabermetric people' say anyone can close, but this is proof that no, they can't.

Mitch Williams probably considers himself a closer. Mitch Williams blew his 2nd save chance, his 4th save chance, his 5th save chance, 7th save chance and his 8th save chance of his career.

I guess he wasn't able to close either.
    FYI, the bulk of those (all but 2) were not in the 9th inning. He was for the majority in a set-up role where he was getting holds instead of save because of the situation. He wasn't blowing as many games as that suggests.

Notwithstanding, it's likely a dumb comment by Wild Thing, and proves nothing. Robertson would be fine given more opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    FYI, the bulk of those (all but 2) were not in the 9th inning. He was for the majority in a set-up role where he was getting holds instead of save because of the situation. He wasn't blowing as many games as that suggests.

Notwithstanding, it's likely a dumb comment by Wild Thing, and proves nothing. Robertson would be fine given more opportunities.
    He was pitching multiple innings and getting save chances at the end of ballgames. Between his first save and his 5th of his first season, he blew 5 saves.

He was pitching multiple innings and getting save chances at the end of ballgames. Between his first save and his 5th of his first season, he blew 5 saves.
    It's an obviously different era... the comment at face value isn't really comparable.... but I agree with the overall pint.

I can't believe they actually put Wild Thing on TV and allow him to speak. Not that I could do any better on TV, but surely MLB Network could find someone better.
    "You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." -Earl Weaver

Thanks for posting that. I never would have known about it otherwise, since I always turn the sound down when Mitch speaks. I think just listening to him talk about baseball kills my brain cells. Lol

Funny thing, I knew Williams would be a bad closer, which he was, after one of his early Cub games. He had just blown a save, and was literally crying after the game over it in the locker room.

The key to being a closer is to have a short memory, to not take it personally, to not be cocky. I actually think Robertson's comment made him sound more like a closer, not less like one.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

So I take it you guys don't put much stock in the idea that there's more pressure in the 9th and that it takes a certain type of personality to handle that pressure?

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    So I take it you guys don't put much stock in the idea that there's more pressure in the 9th and that it takes a certain type of personality to handle that pressure?
    Its kinda ironic but I was listening to the game yesterday and was getting a little nervous in doing so. I was doing nothing but listening to the game, not pitching, not in attendance, not even watching. I find it hard to believe that anyone would think the pressure isn't higher in the 9th than any other inning.

When it comes to closing I revert to what actual closers have said.

When Mitch was calling a day game on MLB Network between the Reds and the Rockies in 2010, he said that Johnny Gomes was a RH version of Joey Votto... I've never taken anything he said seriously again.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

I've often wondered why this guy has a job at the MLB network.

I generally change the channel when he starts pontificating.
    sorry we're boring

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    I've often wondered why this guy has a job at the MLB network.

I generally change the channel when he starts pontificating.
    I agree. Last night was Dan Plesac and Ron Gant, who I enjoyed. Williams really thinks he knows everything, and every decision or opinion he states is correct.

I'm sure his head was nodding and shaking a lot while talking. That alone annoys me to the point of switching stations. Thankfully he is usually on after 11pm.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I think there is more pressure in the 9th, of course. But no, I don't think it takes a certain type of personality to handle that pressure. I think it takes a certain type of personality not to be able to handle that pressure. Most guys can handle it. A few can't. Two games isn't enough to show that someone can or can't.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I think there is more pressure in the 9th, of course. But no, I don't think it takes a certain type of personality to handle that pressure. I think it takes a certain type of personality not to be able to handle that pressure. Most guys can handle it. A few can't. Two games isn't enough to show that someone can or can't.
    I agree whole-heartedly that 2 game isnt' enough to know diddly-squat. But from what I've seen, heard & read, it does take a certain mentality to close. I've got no experience with it as my pitching prowess topped out in Jr. High.

Turn Off Ads?