Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Enough of Zach Cozart?

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Re: Enough of Zach Cozart?

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I like Didi, but does anybody really see him as a significant upgrade? Cabrera would be awesome...but no clue what it would take to land him. And which Cabrera would that be? The solid all around SS from a few years ago, or the Cozart clone from last year?

Regardless of targeting Cabrera or not...the Indians, I'm maintained for a while now, are the team we should be looking to deal with. Outside of Asdrubal, if you look at their top prospects their #1, 6, 8, 12 & 13th prospects are ALL shortstops. Several of them are on the cusp of impacting the bigs. Simply put, the Indians are going to need to make some deals just to make room for the kids. Francisco Lindor, their #1 prospect is in AA right now...from everything I've read, his glove will play RIGHT NOW. Jose Ramirez plays for the Columbus Clippers (AAA), he mostly plays 2nd but can easily handle short with the reps.

I'm content with Cozart for now as I feel his bat will come around to his norms. But that doesn't change the fact that our farm is very thin in shortstops...a deal should be made regardless of Cozy's struggles.
    I'm still ticked off about the Sean Marshall trade; Torreyes was one of my favorite prospects. Christ, the guy has 99 SOs in 1480 ABs. It only makes sense that the Reds would trade him.

Wood, too, I always preferred over Leake. The difference between the two of them is minimal, though.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

2. Likes:

joshua (04-20-2014),_Sir_Charles_ (04-20-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

since when is heisey a great upgrade offensively? we would be worse defensively big time without improving the offence that much

throw heisey a breakingball and he´s out
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tomnuetten View Post
    since when is heisey a great upgrade offensively? we would be worse defensively big time without improving the offence that much

throw heisey a breakingball and he´s out
    A few years ago I was on the Heisey fan bus -- but now I'm not certain he could find the bus let alone CF.... I see zero baseball smarts from the guy
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    From Eddie Grant to Eddie Brinkman to Zack, a host of ML shortstops say hi! Appling, Larkin, Jeter, ARod - those guys are huge exceptions. Concepcion was a terrible hitter, so was Ozzie. Both became reasonable hitters for the position in their late 20s early 30s but not much before. That said I do get the frustration. Thing is it will be much easier to upgrade any of the other weak hitting spots than SS. With Mes hitting the Reds should have room for an all glove SS. CF, LF, 3B - none of those spots produce enough right now. It just magnifies the fact that Zack isn't hitting, but I'll bet anything you'd like he isn't a .150 hitter by season's end either.

Ummm.... Davey was NOT a terrible hitter with the exception of 1970-72 and 1988. He was Cozart in 1983-84. He was the best hitting SS in baseball and a good at worst average offensive player from 1973-1982.

Where do you get terrible?

7. Likes:

Big Klu (04-20-2014),CmdrCody (04-21-2014),reds1869 (04-20-2014)

I like Cozarts defense a lot. It's Bruce and Frazier I'm concerned about. Those two have got to be more consistent. If that happens with The improvement we are seeing in Mes, no one would be talking about Cozart.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    I'm still ticked off about the Sean Marshall trade; Torreyes was one of my favorite prospects. Christ, the guy has 99 SOs in 1480 ABs. It only makes sense that the Reds would trade him.

Wood, too, I always preferred over Leake. The difference between the two of them is minimal, though.
    Agree with you on Torreyes. He's still my favorite prospect in the minors. Unfortunately he's now with the freaking Astros.

The gap from dead last to next to last is funny. All qualifying MLB players.

11. Likes:

bigredmechanism (04-20-2014)

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bullseye View Post
    Explain to me how you can do worse than a .150 hitting shortstop?
    By replacing him with a .214 hitting shortstop who cannot remotely field a baseball at an acceptable level.
    Award Winning Baseball Player

He's scored 1 run and has 1 walk on the season lol

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    Chris Nelson could be called up. Send Cozart down to find his swing?
    How is Chris Nelson's defense at 3b?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Ummm.... Davey was NOT a terrible hitter with the exception of 1970-72 and 1988. He was Cozart in 1983-84. He was the best hitting SS in baseball and a good at worst average offensive player from 1973-1982.

Where do you get terrible?
    When Davey came up he couldn't hit his way out of a wet bag. He became a decent hitter and I think it as due to the guys around him on that great team.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

Cabrera posted a WAR under 2 last year and his defense is declining. Giving up resources to replace Cozart with Cabrera is a step back.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

17. Likes:

Redeyecat (04-20-2014)

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    When Davey came up he couldn't hit his way out of a wet bag. He became a decent hitter and I think it as due to the guys around him on that great team.
    Yep, plus he matured and filled out. Davey was a stick when he came up.

Bullseye has to be trolling. Doubtful he is a Reds fan based on his comments.
    "When I began playing the game, baseball was about as gentlemanly as a kick in the crotch." - Ty Cobb

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    He's scored 1 run and has 1 walk on the season lol
    He and Heisey are on pace for a combined 10 BB (I rounded up) in 2014.

Hackers hack.

In all seriousness, it's actually painful for some of us to watch these guys at the plate.

Meanwhile, Jocketty fiddles.
    Last edited by malcontent; 04-20-2014 at 02:09 PM.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Turn Off Ads?