Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rick Sweet no longer managing Louisville

Rick Sweet no longer managing Louisville

This comes as something of a shocker to me. David Bell has been named manager of the Bats for 2012. Sweet is to be a roving instructor within the Reds organization.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Rick Sweet no longer managing Louisville

That move makes no sense.

I never would have guessed this move at all.

This may be the biggest (and worst) transaction of the entire winter.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Since Rick Sweet is staying w/n the organization, I'll assume this was at his request. Hopefully there's not something health related going on where he couldn't commit to the every day managing job; that would be my 1st WAG on why this happened.

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    Since Rick Sweet is staying w/n the organization, I'll assume this was at his request. Hopefully there's not something health related going on where he couldn't commit to the every day managing job; that would be my 1st WAG on why this happened.
    I really can't see any other reason for this move happening unless Sweet did ask for the move. Otherwise, why would he stay with the organization. I'm with you. I just hope it isn't health related.

Odd.

Sweet had been talking about moving his family to Louisville. His official new title is Catching Coordinator.

-The Insider-

Despite no one on here liking DB, he is one of the most-liked managers by his players I have ever encountered.

I saw an interview with Rick just after the AAA season wrapped up. Rick indicated that he would be back to manage the Bats in 2012 unless a major league opportunity presented itself. He said this was already decided by the Reds. I wonder what changed?
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

http://www.courier-journal.com/artic...ws|text|Sports

The 2009 season marked Bell’s first as a manager at the professional level. He has a record of 176-239.

“We think David’s ready to move,” Bavasi said. “He’s been in Double-A for a few years. He’s done a real good job there.
    What in the world is going on? I'm sorry, but that is just a lie. Maybe some players have said that he was a good manager, but his record is awful. This whole thing is very mysterious, if Sweet was having heath issues, I would not think that a roving position would be much better! Also, disappointed that Corky did not replace him - maybe he is not ready to move on to managing, but he seems like a more logical choice then a guy who has been awful at a lower level.

Here is Sheldon's article on the move:

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...s_cin&c_id=cin
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Sweet has been having a rough offseason, first getting fired as a Dominican Winter League manager, and then making some controversial move as a manager in Venezuela:
    http://www.eluniversal.com/deportes/...acar-a-aguilar

Quote Originally Posted by batsfan View Post
    http://www.courier-journal.com/artic...ws|text|Sports

What in the world is going on? I'm sorry, but that is just a lie. Maybe some players have said that he was a good manager, but his record is awful. This whole thing is very mysterious, if Sweet was having heath issues, I would not think that a roving position would be much better! Also, disappointed that Corky did not replace him - maybe he is not ready to move on to managing, but he seems like a more logical choice then a guy who has been awful at a lower level.
    Not that I disagree with the whole notion that this move is mysterious. But I'm not sure you can hold it against Bell over his record. Most of the W-L record is based on talent available to him. And when your better players are constantly in flux, its hard to win consistently.

Let's face it. AA ball is strange simply because a player who is good will be quickly moved up, and replaced by an A-ball player who is either too young for AA, or needs a few weeks to adjust. And once the player adjusts, he usually is promoted.

Nevertheless, I hope nothing is wrong with Rick Sweet.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

-The Insider-

Win-loss record in the minors means nothing. Come on

Turn Off Ads?