Turn Off Ads?
Page 25 of 49 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football Realignment

Re: Here we go again...

gainst a college football landscape that has seen significant shifts and realignment over the past year, the Big 12 is now looking to add new teams to its conference.

According to multiple reports, TCU (which was supposed to go to the Big East in 2012), Louisville, BYU and West Virginia have all been rumored as possible targets. This, of course, comes on the heels of Missouri making it clear that it was exploring its options with other conferences – namely the SEC.

Last week reports surfaced that BYU already had an offer from the Big 12; however, it remains to be seen if the conference has enough allure to bring in a freshly independent school. Plus, the BYUTV channel dedicated to the program [Ed. Note: BYUTV actually is a pretty big deal] (think Longhorn Network with much, much, much less controversy) further complicates matters.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by graham.great View Post

gainst a college football landscape that has seen significant shifts and realignment over the past year, the Big 12 is now looking to add new teams to its conference.

According to multiple reports, TCU (which was supposed to go to the Big East in 2012), Louisville, BYU and West Virginia have all been rumored as possible targets. This, of course, comes on the heels of Missouri making it clear that it was exploring its options with other conferences – namely the SEC.

Last week reports surfaced that BYU already had an offer from the Big 12; however, it remains to be seen if the conference has enough allure to bring in a freshly independent school. Plus, the BYUTV channel dedicated to the program [Ed. Note: BYUTV actually is a pretty big deal] (think Longhorn Network with much, much, much less controversy) further complicates matters.
    This is old news thats been rumored since TAMU left. The one I'm hoping to watch is the outright potential revolt by the football powers from the ACC (FSU and Clemson). One person was quoted as saying "the ACC broke into the Big East house and stole the Pinto and left the Porsche in the garage".

The only thing I can think of that is holding the ACC together is the endowment. The ACC I think has the largest endowment of all the conferences and that goes toward research at each of the member schools. *Note feel free to correct me if I am wrong about the last part*.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Re: College Football Realignment

From what I've heard, the ACC is like every other big conference -- planning for their equivalent of the Big Ten Network. Consider for a moment that in the conference's home states, the network gets on typical programming tiers at a higher per-subscriber rate. Now consider that adding Pitt and Syracuse just put 31 million more people in the ACC's home-state footprint, with the overall footprint including nearly a third of the USA's people (easily the most of any conference). Carry the math through to the bottom line and they think that's the Porsche. Not to mention adding two hoops powerhouses to a league that's always thought of itself that way.

Obviously, FSU and Clemson have different priorities and will at least listen to any other leagues that can offer better football without downgrading in the finance department.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    From what I've heard, the ACC is like every other big conference -- planning for their equivalent of the Big Ten Network. Consider for a moment that in the conference's home states, the network gets on typical programming tiers at a higher per-subscriber rate. Now consider that adding Pitt and Syracuse just put 31 million more people in the ACC's home-state footprint, with the overall footprint including nearly a third of the USA's people (easily the most of any conference). Carry the math through to the bottom line and they think that's the Porsche. Not to mention adding two hoops powerhouses to a league that's always thought of itself that way.

Obviously, FSU and Clemson have different priorities and will at least listen to any other leagues that can offer better football without downgrading in the finance department.
    I agree with you about that being their plan, but I'm not sure if I buy the whole "footprint" strategy. I buy it even less when you start talking about population by state. Are you telling me that people in NYC/Philly (the two biggest markets in those states) now care about ACC football because of Pitt and Syracuse? Its one thing to be in the same state as a big market. Its another thing entirely to deliver that market.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by swaisuc View Post
    I agree with you about that being their plan, but I'm not sure if I buy the whole "footprint" strategy. I buy it even less when you start talking about population by state. Are you telling me that people in NYC/Philly (the two biggest markets in those states) now care about ACC football because of Pitt and Syracuse? Its one thing to be in the same state as a big market. Its another thing entirely to deliver that market.
    It's not just about football, it's all sports, including basketball. (If you're trying to get on New York cable systems, it's more important to own Syracuse basketball than Syracuse football.) The beauty of the economic model is just like it is with the Big Ten network. In the home states, the conference stands a pretty good chance of bullying its way onto the expanded-basic cable or satellite tiers with a monthly per-subscriber fee. That's where the big money comes from, not ratings from live football games, which are hardly carried on these networks at the moment anyway... yet.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by graham.great View Post

I like the webcam affiliate link in the emoticon, that's clever. And keyword grabbing a news story related to the thread topic, that's almost good programming. Still looks like a bot though, have to try harder.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

The University of Maryland is in serious negotiations to join the Big Ten Conference, sources told ESPN on Saturday.

If Maryland goes from the ACC to the Big Ten, Rutgersof the Big East is expected to follow suit. The addition of Maryland and Rutgers would give the Big Ten 14 members as the league gears toward negotiations on a new media rights deal when its first-tier rights expire in 2017.

No date has been set for a potential announcement, though it could come as soon as Monday.
    http://espn.go.com/college-football/...ce-sources-say
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Why the heck would the big 10+2 want Maryland?

This is like the SEC bringing in a mismatch in Missouri, expansion for expansion sake.
    Go Gators!

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Why the heck would the big 10+2 want Maryland?

This is like the SEC bringing in a mismatch in Missouri, expansion for expansion sake.
    My guess is that the Big Ten Network has their eyes on the D.C TV market (Maryland) and the N.Y/N.J market (Rutgers).

However, College Football is an afterthought in both markets.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    My guess is that the Big Ten Network has their eyes on the D.C TV market (Maryland) and the N.Y/N.J market (Rutgers).

However, College Football is an afterthought in both markets.
    NYC folks couldn't find Rutgers on a map.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    NYC folks couldn't find Rutgers on a map.
    Rutgers draws well, a couple of ESPNs highest rated games were involving Rutgers a couple years ago when they were potentially playing for Big East crown. Rutgers has always been that "what if" case.

I think its a great fit Maryland and Big 10. And a great financial winfall for an university that greatly needs it. I always thought it might happen, I am surprised though Rutgers would be #2, I always thought UVa or Ga Tech made a lot of sense.

Edit:
    In a population center like the NY metro area you don't have to draw a huge number to get a lot of tvs. Rutgers does draw enough to move the needle if by default.
    Last edited by Slyder; 11-17-2012 at 11:15 PM.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Rutgers draws well, a couple of ESPNs highest rated games were involving Rutgers a couple years ago when they were potentially playing for Big East crown. Rutgers has always been that "what if" case.

I think its a great fit Maryland and Big 10. And a great financial winfall for an university that greatly needs it. I always thought it might happen, I am surprised though Rutgers would be #2, I always thought UVa or Ga Tech made a lot of sense.

Edit:
    In a population center like the NY metro area you don't have to draw a huge number to get a lot of tvs. Rutgers does draw enough to move the needle if by default.
    I'm curious how the finances would work. Maryland just cut eight sports due to budget issues and now they can afford a $50M ACC exit fee? Would the windfall they would get from the B10 offset that?
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    I'm curious how the finances would work. Maryland just cut eight sports due to budget issues and now they can afford a $50M ACC exit fee? Would the windfall they would get from the B10 offset that?
    The rumor is that the Under Armour founder is footing that bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    Plus there's no way in h e double hockey sticks of that 50 million dollar exit fee would hold up in any court as being enforceable. If they go its probably 20-25 mil. IMO. If the ACC really tries to hold the line on that 50 mil they might end up getting nothing and liking it.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    The rumor is that the Under Armour founder is footing that bill.
    Hadn't thought of that. Would have been nice if Kevin Plank could have stepped in when eight sports were getting cut last year. Football is king obviously in Div. I. I wonder how much, if any, consideration is given to these programs non-revenue sports teams when making these conference decisions.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Turn Off Ads?