Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Braves To Sign B.J. Upton

Braves To Sign B.J. Upton

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/
    Braves To Sign B.J. Upton
    By Ben Nicholson-Smith [November 28 at 4:49pm CST]
    4:49pm: It's a five-year, $75.25MM contract, Rosenthal reports (on Twitter).

Upton declined a qualifying offer from the Rays, which means the Rays are now eligible to obtain a top pick in the 2013 draft. The Braves will surrender their first round draft pick to sign Upton, though that selection won't go directly to Tampa Bay.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Overpay IMO.

Re: Braves To Sign B.J. Upton

Quote Originally Posted by jhu1321 View Post
    Overpay IMO.
    Agreed

Good pass by the Reds.
    Go BLUE!!!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I still can't believe this. The guy has plenty of potential.... but they just gave $75,000,000 to a guy who had a SUB .300 OBP last year. That is mind boggling.

I'd say the Votto contract look pretty darn solid right now.

He's average 4 wins a season for the last 6 years. But yeah, the drop in his BB rate last year is reason for concern.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Holy crap that's a lot of money. I don't even know if I'd give his brother that kind of money (yet...) let alone him. Can't walk anymore. Strikes out a ton. Isn't exactly known for his hustle and all-in-for-the-team attitude. No thanks.

I wouldn't pay half that. $30 Million over 5 years would sound about right for him (in an expensive market). This year's Chone Figgins IMO.

I think his defense is overblown as well.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

The money is getting out of hand.Where is it all coming from and how much longer can this keep up?I remember the owners crying broke in the 80's before anyone was making more than 2 million.I mean how can a 4th outfielder like Jonny Gomes get 5 mil a year?Mind mind boggling.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    I'd say the Votto contract look pretty darn solid right now.
    Seriously. I don't know if this is TV related or what, but the contracts being thrown around this offseason would've been laughed at a few years ago. Poor Joey might've left some money on the table.

Yet my blurb linking to the ESPN insider article says Keith Law says the Braves are buying low on Upton.

Quote Originally Posted by vic715 View Post
    The money is getting out of hand.Where is it all coming from and how much longer can this keep up?I remember the owners crying broke in the 80's before anyone was making more than 2 million.I mean how can a 4th outfielder like Jonny Gomes get 5 mil a year?Mind mind boggling.

Yeah, it seems as though free agency is on it's way to again reaching the heights of the mid 00's, if not higher. Definitely glad to have Votto locked up now.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    Seriously. I don't know if this is TV related or what, but the contracts being thrown around this offseason would've been laughed at a few years ago. Poor Joey might've left some money on the table.
    You think Votto left money on the table..... did you see how little money Evan Longoria just signed for his extension? I know that he has money for his family for generations with what he signed, but he probably could have gotten 50% more.

Turn Off Ads?