Turn Off Ads?
Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829 LastLast

Thread: Reds vs. Pirates 7/21/2013

Re: Reds vs. Pirates 7/21/2013

Dusty almost always leaves his SP in too long.

That said, if you told me last Thursday the Reds would win 2 of 3 in this series, I would have been happy. Just hard when the last game is the loss; feels like a missed chance instead of a series win.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

2. Likes:

remdog (07-21-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Dusty almost always leaves his SP in too long.

That said, if you told me last Thursday the Reds would win 2 of 3 in this series, I would have been happy. Just hard when the last game is the loss; feels like a missed chance instead of a series win.
    I think today may have been influenced by the Giants series upcoming and the doubleheader.

He let Bailey throw an awful lot of pitches. But the tip off may have been using Partch. Shows a concern for resting the bullpen.

Hope on balance it turns out to be correct. Tuesday with Cingrani and Reynolds could be one of those turning point days, one way or the other.

5. Likes:

remdog (07-21-2013)

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

I think Homer was fine. Still had good velocity, stuff. They just had an amazing AB my McHenry and strung some hits together. Sometimes just gotta credit the opponent. I guess I need to do the same with the Votto DP, but we've seen the Reds offense screw-up so many "can't miss" scoring opps this season, it's harder to do.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

7. Likes:

mth123 (07-21-2013),remdog (07-21-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBrick View Post
    At the end of the day, the Reds took a series from a quality team.
    Had to. They were at home and five games back. Winning the series was the minimum.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Those are Walks. He's not doing his job. He's not driving in runs. 44 RBI's through 100 games is inept from the three hole.Anyone else in baseball hitting from the #3 hole making as much as Votto does who has 44 RBI's or less?
    I'm not sure you have a complete understanding of baseball. Votto's job is to help create runs.

Walks are good with runners in scoring position. It might explain why the hitter hitting behind leads the NL in RBI's. After all basebal is a team game.

10. Likes:

Raisor (07-21-2013)

"So Fla Red"

Dodgers are on fire and now only 4 back of the Reds in the loss column. This is a huge week just to maintain hold on the #5 playoff slot with 4 in LA next weekend after a brutal 4 games in 3 days in SF.

2 out of 3 was the minimum, but another stinker and uninspiring getaway day for the Reds. Very important week coming up with the LA series.

12. Likes:

remdog (07-21-2013)

Today, given the way Homer was pitching and where in the Pirates lineup they were, as well as the inconsistency of the pen, I'd leave him in 10 out of 10 times in that same situation. I may have considered taking him out after the second groundball single, but nonetheless I think Dusty played it right leaving him in.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

"So Fla Red"

Actually LA could be in first by the end of the day. So shaping up to be a Pirates/Reds/Dbacks/Nats battle for the two wild cards. Reds need to avoid letting the Giants get back into the mix.

[(H + BB + HBP - CS - GIDP) times (Total bases + .26[BB - IBB + HBP] + .52[SH + SF + SB])] divided by (AB + BB + HBP + SH+ SF)

This is how runs are created.

If the Reds had a team obp of 1.000 they would score an infinite number of runs. However, they'd never win a game because they would still be hitting in the top of the first of the first game of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I think today may have been influenced by the Giants series upcoming and the doubleheader.

He let Bailey throw an awful lot of pitches. But the tip off may have been using Partch. Shows a concern for resting the bullpen.

Hope on balance it turns out to be correct. Tuesday with Cingrani and Reynolds could be one of those turning point days, one way or the other.
    Leake went 5.2 on Friday. Ondrusek, Simon, Parra, Lecure and Chapman all pitched. Latos went 5 yesterday. Hoover, Lecure, Simon, Ondrusek and Chapman all pitched. West Coast swing coming up with a double header where an unproven minor leaguer is throwing one game and a rookie who has been lasting barely 5 is going the other.

Homer was throwing well. The second and third of those four straight hits were routine ground balls that ended up as hits (one didn't get out of the IF). The 4th hit that produced the 3rd run was a line shot and he pulled him. It didn't work out, but I don't think it was a huge mistake.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Man this was a game I would have hated to attend. I love the Reds but this game would have depressed me.
    I was there. I feel like Dusty and Votto Punched me in the gut.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post

I think you are absolutely right about the rationale. But IMO, you gotta smoke em when you got em. The bullpen had had four days off prior to this weekend.

19. Likes:

joshua (07-21-2013),remdog (07-21-2013),Tom Servo (07-21-2013),Wonderful Monds (07-22-2013),WVRedsFan (07-21-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I was there. I feel like Dusty and Votto Punched me in the gut.
    But the rest of the team that didn't get hit all game was just a smack in the kisser?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I think you are absolutely right about the rationale. But IMO, you gotta smoke em when you got em. The bullpen had had four days off prior to this weekend.
    I agree. To me, it was questionable to allow Bailey to stay in after the double by McHenry (whose name I'm misspelling). But I understand those who think it was ok.

But to allow that third run, I can't defend that. Bailey should have been out by then IMO.

22. Likes:

remdog (07-21-2013),WVRedsFan (07-21-2013)

Productive series. Whittling away the Pirates lead... Cards remain 5 games ahead of the reds.

All three teams playing some on the fence teams over the next few series, Cards probably have the tougher week ahead going from the Braves to the 5 games against Bucs, then to the Reds.

There is the opening!

24. Likes:

traderumor (07-22-2013)

Turn Off Ads?