Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Holy Grail (First Restaurant/Bar at The Banks) set to open 3/17

Re: Holy Grail (First Restaurant/Bar at The Banks) set to open 3/17

Caveat's experience is enough to make me not want to bother going there if we go to a game or two in august. We'll go cross river to the Fridays deck as usual I guess! lol!

2. Turn Off Ads?

I went there yesterday before the game. It was pretty packed, but I really like how it has alot of wide open space. Didn't get a stool or table (which sucked cause we had planned on eating) but plenty of space to stand. Service was pretty good considering how many people were there. Had quite a few drinks and walked like 10 feet to the gates.... absolutely love how close it is.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Had a couple beers here after the game today to celebrate the big Reds win. When they're keeping the music low key and just concentrating on providing a laid-back place to hang, it's a really cool bar. The big garage doors were open, the breeze kept the place nice and cool, and I had a very fun time.

I'll give them a Mulligan for opening day -- just hope they don't do it again.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

They're still learning who their crowd is and they'll adapt. It might be a totally different place in August than it is now.

I posted this in the streetcar thread, but I thought I remembered there being a thread on The Banks where it would be more appropriate.
    In other news, Toby Keith's I Love This Bar and Grille opened at the Banks last week. I have been once. Not necessarily my kind of place (although you can't really go wrong with beer in mason jars), but from what I hear they have been crowded. And my guess is that a lot of people who go to Toby Keith's might not be heading downtown otherwise, so that is a great thing for the city and region.

And the Moerlein Brewery is apparently opening soon, and allegedly a Ruth's Chris and a few more places. The bottom line for this board is that there should be a whole lot more to do around the stadium before and after Reds games!

I'm very excited by the Morelein Brewery's opening -- I plan on being there opening night and, hopefully, a lot this summer before and after Reds games.

Toby Keith's place does very little for me. I haven't checked it out yet, but from what friends have told me it's pretty much the same type of crowd/vibe that Cadillac Ranch used to have before it (thankfully) shut down. Of course, I really don't care for country music, so that might have something to do with my feelings.

Ruth's Chris continues a disappointing trend for food at the banks. When they announced the project, I was hoping they would find a way to avoid chain restaurants (or, at the very least, avoid large national chains). Instead, we've ended up with a decidedly normal Johnny Rockets -- a place that would be about 20th on my list of "best burgers" in town -- and now a Ruth's Chris (because if there's one thing Cincinnati, home of Jeff Ruby's / Precinct / Mortons / Boi na Braza, needs it's another steakhouse).

If it were me, I'd have tried to pitch some local people (like maybe a LaRosa's sports bar that doubles as a late-night pizza window) or tried to at least bring in some different types of food -- a good Greek place, an open-air Mexican cantina like they have in the arena-district in Columbus, etc.

Just a guess, but I'd say the rent at the Banks is prohibitive to a lot of more local restauranteurs.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Just a guess, but I'd say the rent at the Banks is prohibitive to a lot of more local restauranteurs.
    That is my thought as well. I live in another Downtown apartment building. I took one look at the residential rent at The Banks, said "no thanks" and left. It isn't that the rent is unreasonable--if it was the apartments wouldn't be at 100% capacity--it is that I can get cheaper rent on a larger space three blocks away. I imagine that retail cost is similar.

I am very excited about The Lager House. It is exactly what I was hoping for when The Banks started choosing tenants. The opening also coincides with the start of my new job; celebration time!

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I'm very excited by the Morelein Brewery's opening -- I plan on being there opening night and, hopefully, a lot this summer before and after Reds games.

Toby Keith's place does very little for me. I haven't checked it out yet, but from what friends have told me it's pretty much the same type of crowd/vibe that Cadillac Ranch used to have before it (thankfully) shut down. Of course, I really don't care for country music, so that might have something to do with my feelings.

Ruth's Chris continues a disappointing trend for food at the banks. When they announced the project, I was hoping they would find a way to avoid chain restaurants (or, at the very least, avoid large national chains). Instead, we've ended up with a decidedly normal Johnny Rockets -- a place that would be about 20th on my list of "best burgers" in town -- and now a Ruth's Chris (because if there's one thing Cincinnati, home of Jeff Ruby's / Precinct / Mortons / Boi na Braza, needs it's another steakhouse).

If it were me, I'd have tried to pitch some local people (like maybe a LaRosa's sports bar that doubles as a late-night pizza window) or tried to at least bring in some different types of food -- a good Greek place, an open-air Mexican cantina like they have in the arena-district in Columbus, etc.
    Our tastes are probably similar, but I think the Banks is doing the best if can. Toby Keith's does seems much more live music based than I think Cadillac Ranch was. There is a different act every night, and a lot of them seem like local acts (from what I gather from the posts that pop up on my Facebook feed) (yes, in a judgment-impaired moment brought on by multiple mason jars full of beer I may have "liked" Toby Keith's I Love This Bar and Grille on Facebook). I don't think Cadillac Ranch had that (but again I hardly ever went there). Nor did I see a mechanical bull at Toby Keith's!

Yes, I agree, the last thing on earth we need is another steakhouse. I am a huge Morton's fan and am concerned this will be the beginning of the end for it. I am not a fan at all of Ruth's Chris, but some people swear by it.

Also, Holy Grail is locally owned. And a local place called Mahogany's (which offers "upscale soul food" and has a location in Hamilton) is opening soon. And the brewery seems like not just a unique local place, but a place that will celebrate a cool part of Cincinnati's history. I agree I wish there was a LaRosas, Greaters, Skyline, or something similar, but maybe things like that will happen when the whole development is done (several years from now).

When they first started talking about the Banks, I was in high school. Now, my 20 year reunion is much closer than I would care to admit. Anything, frankly, is better than the gaping hole in the ground that was there between the stadiums for a decade plus.

The Moerlein Lager House opens Feb 27th.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

I forgot about Mahogany's. I've been to the one in Hamilton a bunch. It is excellent. Not many places where you can get oxtail.

http://mahoganyscafeandgrill.com/menu_mamasfavs.html
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Well you'll have to do more than "plan" to be there opening night. You'll need a ticket. They're $150 and sold out.

I decided to splurge and I will be there at 6:30pm sharp on Saturday and I'm very excited about this place. It'll be a destination for anyone visiting our city that wants to experience something uniquely Cincinnati.

They'll have 90 (yes ninety) beers on tap and a total of 200 beers available there on a daily basis once they get cranked up. Just to put this in perspective, the Cincy Beerfest at the convention center a week ago had 300 beers available. Inside they'll hold about 800 people and will have party rooms for private parties, receptions etc. (I don't know about you but I know where my daughter's wedding reception is going to be ) We'll see how good the food's going to be. It will not be a German restaurant. Don't expect a Mecklenberg Gardens type menu, but they are going to have food typical of the 1800s on the menu. It'll be a great hangout before and after Reds games and a place that size, you'll probably always be able to get in. Since they haven't started brewing there, don't expect to get fresh beer from their tanks this weekend but eventually...

As for the rest of the banks I think they've done well. Sure Ruth Chris is a "meh" but they'll also have a wine bar and a 24 hour diner to hangout at as you're trying to get sober enough to drive home...

I "tried" to do Toby Keith's on Thursday night at 9pm. Unfortunately there were more security guards there than waiters and after 15 mins of being ignored, we left. Seriously they seated us and never came to get our drink order.

Thanks for the tip, but I already have tickets via a friend. Just hoping I'll be in town to use them.
    Last edited by Caveat Emperor; 02-19-2012 at 10:30 PM.

Thanks for the tip, but I already have tickets via a friend. Just hoping I'll be in town to use them.
    I hope you can pull it off. I think it'll be a great event

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    The Moerlein Lager House opens Feb 27th.
    I was there on Saturday night and these are my impressions:

1) Fantastic views. Heck even Mike Brown turned on his lights at PBS for the event!
    2) Wonderful Cincinnati themes throughout the restaurant
    3) I counted 23 beers on tap right now, including 8 of the Moerlein brand
    4) Great professional service by the staff. If that's any indication, they will be a well run organization
    5) The "ceremony" was too long and too boring. Where was the Mayor?
    6) Parking could be an issue. Parking in the garage under the restaurant cost $8 for the night

I overheard one guy give his opinion that you'll have to get there by 8am on Opening Day if you expect to get a seat.
    I'm curious what the prices will be such as for a beer or a meal. As others test it out, please fill us in with your impressions

Turn Off Ads?