Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A Ticket For Driving 63MPH in a 65 Zone?

Re: A Ticket For Driving 63MPH in a 65 Zone?

Here is a link to the Maryland rules of the road:
    http://www.mva.maryland.gov/Resources/DL-002B.pdf

I was curious because the article didnt indicate what she was doing was actually illegal. I can't find a law forbidding the practice of driving the speed limit in the left lane in the MD ROR.

Unless I'm missing something, this looks like an officer's judgement call. I agree about staying out of the left lane but I think she can contest this successfully.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Likes:

Sea Ray (03-15-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    For a Level Playing Field

Perhaps we should hear the other side before any of us make a final decision. I doubt the officer will run to the media though; therefore, we might have to wait.

I guess we have learned that most of us do not agree with left-lane drivers. Some of us were not aware that some states have a law against this. Oh, and I am not a road rager lol!

What if she was passing a truck that was doing 55

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by storer50 View Post
    What if she was passing a truck that was doing 55
    From the research I did she is fine. Unless she fails to move over after passing the slower truck and impedes other drivers.

I don't know what traffic conditions were, but people that clog up the left lane might think they're being safe by driving slower, but they can create just as much danger as people driving too fast.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

8. Likes:

TeamSelig (03-14-2013)

Again, I'd like to know what role 63MPH played in this. For example if the right lane cars were going 60 MPH, I'd say she was justified in going 63 in the left...and if that's the case then her speed had nothing to do with it

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Again, I'd like to know what role 63MPH played in this. For example if the right lane cars were going 60 MPH, I'd say she was justified in going 63 in the left...and if that's the case then her speed had nothing to do with it
    I am not even sure of her speed b/c I have only heard her story, Sea Ray. Makes me think of Shawshank Redemption... "we are all innocent". I like to think there is much more than the story we have heard from her. Perhaps the police officer was behind her for quite a distance and b/c she does not know the law she stayed in the left lane and never moved over. The officer saw many cars passing her in the middle/right lane and decided to educate her on the law. I have no idea, but it sounds more plausible than the one side I have read. She also might have been doing 53 mph! We only know what she has said. In your scenario above I agree that she would have done nothing wrong.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I have heard of all of those except the 500 feet emergency vehicle.

Fact is, this officer pulled over someone and ticketed them for something that every single person in this country does every day that drives on a highway. It is ridiculous.
    People speed every single day too -- only the ones that get seen doing it by a cop get a ticket.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

12. Likes:

coachpipe (03-15-2013)

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

It's really simple. If you're over there, you'd better be going faster than the car to your right. If not, move over. I have been known to get in front of those folks and just start slowing down. Works better than tailgating.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

The ticket has been tossed. In Maryland you can only issue a ticket for being under by 10 mph not two.

http://www.wtop.com/46/3249614/Ticke...o-slowly-in-Md
    Reds Fan Since 1971

15. Likes:

REDREAD (03-19-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    The ticket has been tossed. In Maryland you can only issue a ticket for being under by 10 mph not two.

Not surprising. It should have been a warning at most, anyway. It's one thing to disapprove of slow drivers in the left lane, another to pretend that driving 2 MPH slower is a ticketable offense.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post

OK, this makes it sound like it's all about her speed and if that's the case then she's innocent. If it was about her being in the passing lane when she's not passing someone then that's totalling different.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    OK, this makes it sound like it's all about her speed and if that's the case then she's innocent. If it was about her being in the passing lane when she's not passing someone then that's totalling different.
    Totally different, but still insanely stupid.

Turn Off Ads?