Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Stubbs in the 2-hole

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Re: Stubbs in the 2-hole

Dusty not listening.

Baker not concerned with outside perceptions

PHOENIX -- The top two hitters in the Reds' lineup -- Zack Cozart and Drew Stubbs -- have been in extended slumps lately. Cozart took a 0-for-18 skid into Wednesday while Stubbs was 1-for-22 entering the finale with the D-backs. The duo went a combined 0-for-10 in Tuesday's 5-2 win.

"That was yesterday. Today it could be them," Reds manager Dusty Baker said. "As long as it's somebody."

Aware that his daily lineups are a source of criticism, Baker doesn't care.

"Everybody is looking for the perfect team, the perfect lineup. There aren't any," Baker said. "Even the mighty Yankees aren't perfect. We have a better record than they do. The Yankees, the Dodgers and some of these teams -- their payrolls are twice as much as ours -- trying to get perfect and it's still not perfect.

"The name of the game is 'Win.' You're always going to try to find something you're not doing. It depends on how your outlook in life is. Are you a half-empty or half-full person? I find that most people are half-empty people. I don't deal with them. I don't listen to them."
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

2. Turn Off Ads?

I like Dusty but man, sometimes I just don't get him. I understand not wanting to bow to outside pressure, but a blind man can tell that the Cozart/Stubbs tandem is a hinderance at the top of the lineup.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I like Dusty but man, sometimes I just don't get him. I understand not wanting to bow to outside pressure, but a blind man can tell that the Cozart/Stubbs tandem is a hinderance at the top of the lineup.
    Best record in the majors and, when I checked earlier today, best OPS in the NL in the 2nd half. I wouldnt call it a hindrance.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Best record in the majors and, when I checked earlier today, best OPS in the NL in the 2nd half. I wouldnt call it a hindrance.
    But the problem is, we'll never know what it COULD be. And I think we all agree, it really couldn't be much worse at the top of the order.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Baker not concerned with outside perceptions

PHOENIX -- The top two hitters in the Reds' lineup -- Zack Cozart and Drew Stubbs -- have been in extended slumps lately. Cozart took a 0-for-18 skid into Wednesday while Stubbs was 1-for-22 entering the finale with the D-backs. The duo went a combined 0-for-10 in Tuesday's 5-2 win.

"That was yesterday. Today it could be them," Reds manager Dusty Baker said. "As long as it's somebody."

Aware that his daily lineups are a source of criticism, Baker doesn't care.

"Everybody is looking for the perfect team, the perfect lineup. There aren't any," Baker said. "Even the mighty Yankees aren't perfect. We have a better record than they do. The Yankees, the Dodgers and some of these teams -- their payrolls are twice as much as ours -- trying to get perfect and it's still not perfect.

"The name of the game is 'Win.' You're always going to try to find something you're not doing. It depends on how your outlook in life is. Are you a half-empty or half-full person? I find that most people are half-empty people. I don't deal with them. I don't listen to them."
    If, by 'extended slump' you mean all season, then I guess that's accurate.

So is Dusty arguing that the best record in baseball can't be improved upon? C'mon Dust! Even you must realize in the course of a season the top 2 guys in the order come to the plate more than anybody on the team, thus you wan't the most productive guys there to maximize team productivity. So we generally want the guys with the highest OBP there. You have the two guys with the WORST OBP there! Luckily, the rest of the team is OBP challenged as well with Hanigan being the only current starting player over .350. Heck, if you look at OPS not only are the other starting 6 outperforming those 2, but so are Xavier Paul, Chris Heisey, Dioner Navarro, and Mike Leake!! We're probably giving up an extra baserunner every other game by batting those two at the top of the order. Given an extra 81 baserunners, how many of those do you think would equal a run? No matter who does the math, it's more than ZERO! Ugh.
    I love how Dusty sticks by his players, but he needs to get off this fast guys at the top of the order thing.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

The things that drives me nuts is that I have a feeling people wouldn't have nearly as big of a problem with Stubbs' BA/OBP/SLG if it weren't for all the strikeouts.

Quote Originally Posted by max venable View Post
    But the problem is, we'll never know what it COULD be. And I think we all agree, it really couldn't be much worse at the top of the order.
    So it is either the best record in the majors or the unknown? I favor the best record in the majors.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    The things that drives me nuts is that I have a feeling people wouldn't have nearly as big of a problem with Stubbs' BA/OBP/SLG if it weren't for all the strikeouts.
    Well if you believe in BABIP, without the Ks the BA would be higher. But, yeah, we'd still complain.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

So it is either the best record in the majors or the unknown? I favor the best record in the majors.
    Yet, you continually bash Bruce for not living up to his "potential"?

The Reds' lineup is not living up to it's potential.

Not what I'm saying. I'm saying that it can't be worse. We know what doesn't work at the top of the order. Why not try something that potentially offers more production at the top of the order?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Dusty is always right. Ask him.

I won't be the least bit surprised if Drew Stubbs is moved this off-season. Someone noted in this thread or perhaps the other, that while Baker is generally rooting for Stubbs, his endorsement has not been 100%. He's made clear they've spoken to him, he said in the most recent interview, he doesn't know why Stubbs has the issues he has. They won't give him away, but he likely would be packaged in a trade and the club can move on. But with one month left in a season that has been way beyond expectations, I don't know what you upset that apple cart. It's the same with the glib "cut Cairo" or such - this team's not kicking anyone to the curb.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Yet, you continually bash Bruce for not living up to his "potential"?

The Reds' lineup is not living up to it's potential.
    Really? Only a few months ago Walt was being lambasted by many for putting
    together such a horrific lineup. RH heavy, no bench, no one to protect Votto, etc.

The lineup is killing it in the 2nd half. 2nd in OPS in the NL, 6th in majors with not much separating them from everyone but the Angels.

Not sure what you expect from this lineup, especially without Votto. IMO, they are crushing their potential.

Quote Originally Posted by max venable View Post
    Not what I'm saying. I'm saying that it can't be worse. We know what doesn't work at the top of the order. Why not try something that potentially offers more production at the top of the order?
    The team is winning. What they are doing is working. The name of the game is beating other teams, and they are doing that better than anyone else in the majors.

Think about that.

The team is winning. What they are doing is working. The name of the game is beating other teams, and they are doing that better than anyone else in the majors.

Think about that.
    Yep. It's worked well enough for a MLB best record overall. It's also produced these results:

6-6 vs. Pittsburgh
    1-2 vs. LA
    4-3 vs. SF
    6-6 vs. StL
    2-5 vs. Washington

In other words, vs. most NL playoff-possible teams it's been, at best, mediocre.

Turn Off Ads?