Turn Off Ads?
Page 21 of 38 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Golf Season Thread

Re: 2013 Golf Season Thread

Phil is just one of those guys who doesn't have a clutch gene in him. Never has and apparently never will. Congrats to Justin Rose. He was the only one who didn't have any meltdown moments.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    Phil is just one of those guys who doesn't have a clutch gene in him. Never has and apparently never will. Congrats to Justin Rose. He was the only one who didn't have any meltdown moments.
    I don't understand what you're saying. I'm not a fan of his at all but I think he's hit some pretty "clutch" shots to win the Majors that he does have. It's more about randomness and lucky bounces than clutch in Phil's case, IMO.

Just one example, he was inches from an amazing shot on 17.
    Last edited by Razor Shines; 06-16-2013 at 07:54 PM.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Just one example, he was inches from an amazing shot on 17.
    He also missed a ton of makeable putts the entire tournament. He's had his moments throughout his career, obviously, but he's also choked away many big tournaments, the US Open being the most glaring. This tournament was his to win.

A ton of guys did. Even guys we consider clutch. I think this week in these conditions randomness played more of a factor than ever. You just put your best swing on the ball and hoped it turned out ok. Sometimes you did exactly what you wanted to do and it still didn't turn out ok.

I guess I'd rather win 3 Majors, have a handful of runner ups and be considered a choker than nobody noticing whether or not I choked because I'm rarely in contention. I don't even like Phil but I think the "un clutch" thing is silly.
    Last edited by Razor Shines; 06-16-2013 at 08:07 PM.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

6. Likes:

Joseph (06-16-2013),TSJ55 (06-16-2013)

You mean the guy who birdied the 72nd hole to win the Masters? The guy who hit one of the greatest shots in Masters history out of pine straw an in the trees on the back 9 on Sunday en route to another Masters win? The guy who hit clutch shot after clutch shot to win the PGA Championship in 2005?

Phil may be all over the place, but I don't think you could make the case he lacks the clutch gene. Phil will hit brilliant shot after brilliant shot only to follow that up with several bone head shots. But he does that in Thursday and Friday rounds or no-name tournaments just as much as he does on Sunday at majors. Phil is Phil regardless of the round or the tournament. It has nothing to do with clutch.

You don't win 4 majors without the clutch gene.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

8. Likes:

Homer Bailey (06-24-2013),Razor Shines (06-16-2013),TSJ55 (06-16-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    You don't win 4 majors without the clutch gene.
    Or have as many 2nd place finishes as Phil does. A player still has to make a ton of good swings under high pressure to finish runner up.

The putt on 16 is really the one in my mind that he "should" have made that he didn't. The rest of them he "could" have made. Lots of burned edges today.
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

10. Likes:

Razor Shines (06-16-2013)

Little dissapointed, had money on Schwartzle, Horschel, Day and Mahan non of them got the choccies.

Being an Aussie i was cheering for Jase Day to get home but wasn't too be. Was a good Us Open to watch, super tough and close right until the end.

What Rose did with the pressure on was crazy impressive. He played 18 to perfection.

Phil's putter let him down today, I don't think he choked or anything. He didn't make any huge mental mistakes like he has in the past, he just got beat by a great ball striker. That course chewed up a lot of very very good players...and not many people made many putts all week. I think Phil found something in that 2 or 4 wood or whatever it was, if I was him I'd keep that in the bag for more majors.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    What Rose did with the pressure on was crazy impressive. He played 18 to perfection.

I think Phil found something in that 2 or 4 wood or whatever it was, if I was him I'd keep that in the bag for more majors.
    I love what Phil does with club creativity. Two drivers, zero drivers, #2 woods, #4 woods, whatever he thinks will help. Today carrying 5 sand wedges...5!
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

OK, I'll amend my previous statement: Phil doesn't have the clutch gene when it comes to the US Open.

OK, I'll amend my previous statement: Phil doesn't have the clutch gene when it comes to the US Open.
    I don't know man, he still has a record number of runner ups and I think that speaks volumes to his ability to control his ball under pressure.

Obviously Winged Foot where he threw up all over himself and Bones was a full blown choke. There is no sugar coating that one.

ETA: I'm a huge Phil fan and always have been so I'm sure my objectivity isn't on 100%
    Last edited by TSJ55; 06-16-2013 at 10:01 PM. Reason: ETA:...

16. Likes:

Razor Shines (06-16-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post

Phil's putter let him down today, I don't think he choked or anything. He didn't make any huge mental mistakes like he has in the past, he just got beat by a great ball striker. That course chewed up a lot of very very good players...and not many people made many putts all week. I think Phil found something in that 2 or 4 wood or whatever it was, if I was him I'd keep that in the bag for more majors.
    I would say his putter let him down on the Saturday, the amount of putts he narrowly missed killed him. He could of put 4-5 shots on the field if he was sinking them.

Quote Originally Posted by TSJ55 View Post
    Or have as many 2nd place finishes as Phil does. A player still has to make a ton of good swings under high pressure to finish runner up.

The putt on 16 is really the one in my mind that he "should" have made that he didn't. The rest of them he "could" have made. Lots of burned edges today.
    Any golfer who plays enough has days like Phil had Sunday. Days when your right there but the putts aren't falling. His putts were burning the edges and he just couldn't get one to fall. Phil gets one of those puts to drop that burned the edge and its a completely different story.

Anyone with 6 runner ups in the US Open, with the diabolical nature of conditions designed to punish the world's elite golfers, is doing something right. T
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

This tournament highlighted one of the downsides to the USGA approach. The 18th hole didn't have a birdie in the last 2 rounds. So here you have Mickelson standing on 18 needing a birdie to tie, yet we knew there was no chance it could happen. To me, that's going too far and makes for boring golf. They need to find a little more balance between requiring precision and allowing a player an opportunity to take a risk if he needs to make a birdie or two.

These types of setups claim to to be the best test of golf. I don't think that's necessarily true. It a great test of what the USGA wants to test, but I don't think it's the best test of a golfer's overall skill top to bottom. Some golfers are skilled in being able to pull off high risk shots under Sunday pressure at a major. That's one of the great tests of skill in golf for me. Do you have the guts to hit a bold shot with that much pressure. Few do. With a setup like the USGA seems to have about half the time, it doesn't test this at all. There's really no chance to do any of this.

It's pretty much entirely about not hitting a bad shot instead of trying to hit a great one. Some love this, some don't. I'm one who doesn't enjoy it much.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Turn Off Ads?