Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Losing Weight...

Losing Weight...

I've been dieting since early October, just recently began exercising/working out on a regular basis... so far so good. I weighed 195 when I first started, and today I'm at 175. I was actually at 205 lbs this past May, so I've came along way.

Initially, 175 was my goal but now that I'm there, I'm looking to get down to 160 and then add some muscle weight back up to 175.

Anyway, I had a few questions. I'm looking to join the Air Force, which has weight restrictions (175 for my height)... I need to clear that at least by ten pounds. Basically, I'm still needing to lose a little.

Since I've just recently started to do a heavy work out, should I think about drinking protein shakes? At this point, I really don't want to gain any weight, but I would like to burn away the fat. Is this a good idea or not?

Also, my buddy is finally starting to get into a health kick. Probably weighs about 250 (at about 5'11/6'0")... needs to drop significant weight. He's already thinking about buying protein shakes for his workouts. I told him he would probably want to avoid it since he is wanting to drop a bunch of weight. Someone else told him that it would turn the fat into muscle, but I'm not real sure about it.

What do you guys think? Any nutritionists on this board?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Losing Weight...

I don't have any suggestions, but congratulations for dropping that weight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

You're Redszone's Biggest Loser!

I have heard of guys doing the velocity diet to shake those last few pounds. I wouldn't recommend doing it for a lengthy period of time but you could lose 10 lbs pretty quick. You would be one miserable SOB though as all you eat are protein shakes.

I have dropped about 20lbs myself in about a years time. I think it is always important to mix up your workouts between high intensity training and weights. Weights burn a ton of fat and can eat up calories pretty quick. Cut back on your calories (1200-1500 per day) and mix up your workouts and you should see the extra weight come off. Drink plenty of water and if you do invest in protein shakes just read the back of the label to see the nutritional content as some have lots of sugar. Good luck and congrats.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Fitday.com is a great place to log in your calories and really watch your caloric intake. You will be shocked by the results if you don't really watch out. If you don't take the calories in, you can't put them on.

Keep up with aerobic activities. Stuff with your legs (biggest muscles) burns the most calories (running, treadmill, elliptical, incline, biking.) This is a key place for your buddy to start.

Protein shakes and body building will ADD weight (muscle weight which is good) so you may want to avoid for now (since you wanna drop 10) and your buddy for sure will want to avoid.

Great story, keep up the good work. I dropped about 85 myself and this was key to my success.
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." Homer Simpson

"I wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well." Keith Richards

How tall are you?

Just wondering beacuse of how low you want your weight to be...or has to be.

I am right at 5 foot 11 (Although I am almost 6 feet when i wake up....dang gravity!) ...and weigh.. 195-198....and I do not think I am overweight at all.
    I think the weight scale is way off to me.... IF i weighed 175-180...I really would look to skinny.

Try the PX90. I usually don't buy infomercial crap, but this is legit.

iTony,

I'm about 5'7.5"...

The Air Force maximum weight for someone 5'11 is 197. Their numbers seem a little low to me. If you have any muscle at all, you are kinda screwed. My shoulders are pretty broad and most people are pretty shocked at how high my weight is when I tell them. I think there is a body fat waiver, but I've heard it makes for a long wait.

Well now that i think about it...I have never seen a pilot with any real body fat at all. Most of them are pretty lean from the many photos I have seen of them from history.

Tons of cardio is the best way ....every day...60 minutes a day and maybe the stationary bike or another 30. Diet of fruits and vegetables only ...with fish here and there.

You cant turn fat into muscle. You can replace fat with muscle through hard work...

Also a stationary bike is a waste of time....time better spent on a exercise that includes the entire body such as running or an elliptical machine. Many tend to gravitate towards a bike ...simply because its easier. Of course its better than nothing but if your gunna put in the time you might as well get the most out of it.
    Last edited by Orodle; 01-15-2010 at 10:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Well now that i think about it...I have never seen a pilot with any real body fat at all. Most of them are pretty lean from the many photos I have seen of them from history.

Tons of cardio is the best way ....every day...60 minutes a day and maybe the stationary bike or another 30. Diet of fruits and vegetables only ...with fish here and there.
    One day I hope to get a back-seat ride so I'll have a first-hand account of what 7Gs feels like. I do know that it's not a good idea to be flying the jet, executing the mission while in GLOC. It takes some serious conditioning to do what these guys do, and they're pros at it.

Best cardio workouts out there are rowing and swimming. They're both full body and both burn calories at a much faster rate than jogging. One of my college roommates was in the rowing club and he'd routinely burn 2000 calories in an hour. Elliptical machines are fine for beginners but you need to wean yourself off eventually since you really aren't doing much work on them. I've heard good things with boxing and kick boxing too.

TS, what are you plans for the Air Force? Enlisted? OTS?
    Last edited by paintmered; 01-16-2010 at 12:38 AM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

My GPA wasn't the greatest due to some major distractions during my schooling, so I'll be taking the enlisted route.

As for the boxing/kickboxing, I'd really like to try some MMA training, but I can't afford any extra expenses ATM.

Congrats on losing the weight! I dropped about 10 pounds last year through a combination of more exercise and a few changes to the eating habits to cut down on the empty calories. Those weekday beers add a lot to the mid forties spare tire! I have never tried any protein drinks, but it seems to me that you've done well with your diet, so why change? You can improve strength without necessarily adding a lot of bulk...as I'm sure you'll find out in Basic Training.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Yeah, that was a big part of my diet... no week day beers. I cheated sometimes, but at least limited it to 1-2 on certain week nights, instead of 5-6.

I am trying to lose 50-60 lbs. 2 so far.

I'm 6'1/2 or so, so I should be in the 200 lb range, but I want to get to 170 like I was back in highschool. My wife is a big fan of Matthew Gray Gubler from Criminal Minds and he's a beanpole.
    Last edited by Raisor; 01-16-2010 at 05:21 PM.

Turn Off Ads?