Turn Off Ads?
Page 47 of 72 FirstFirst ... 3743444546474849505157 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds acquire Shin-Soo Choo and Jason Donald for Drew Stubbs and Didi Gregorious

Re: Reds acquire Shin-Soo Choo and Jason Donald for Drew Stubbs and Didi Gregorious

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    You'll have to share the trade with me. My oldest daughter told me it was made as a birthday present for me. The trade was just icing on the cake of a great birthday. Hope your birthday was equally as good.

Oh my goodness, how long until pitchers & catchers report?
    Thought of you too, redsmetz. It was a good birthday. Painlessly into year 42.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds acquire Shin-Soo Choo and Jason Donald for Drew Stubbs and Didi Gregorious

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Thought of you too, redsmetz. It was a good birthday. Painlessly into year 42.
    Still young - I turned 16 the day you were born.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Still young - I turned 16 the day you were born.
    Young, I like that. Keep feeling the footsteps of AARP interest mailings not too far in the future...

Have had "I am the Walrus" stuck in my head since the rumors hit twitter last night...and, yes, I know now its goo goo g'joob, but growing up, I always heard it as coo coo k'choo

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Walt will have a dilemma if Reds dominate with Choo, and coast through playoffs and World Series.

If they let Choo walk under those circumstances, Billy Hamilton is going to come in with alot of pressure on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Walt will have a dilemma if Reds dominate with Choo, and coast through playoffs and World Series.

If they let Choo walk under those circumstances, Billy Hamilton is going to come in with alot of pressure on him.
    No need to go looking for trouble. If that happens, pretty sure it will be a nice problem to have.

I just saw this trade this morning. I had it in an e-mail from Reds.com. What a great e-mail to see this early in the morning! This is a great trade for the Reds. He addresses the biggest need the Reds had. A leadoff hitter. It may diminish the defense in CF but the tradeoff in hitting should offset that. Also gives Dusty some options with platooning some with Choo and Ludwick if needed. The best part is the Reds didn't have to give up any pitching to get him. That's just amazing IMO. You never know how deals will eventually work out but at first look on this one Jocketty knocked one out of the park. I can't wait for opening day now!
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Agreed, the fact that they got this done without having to deal Stephenson, Cingrani, Corcino or Leake is amazing. Gives Walt ammo to make deals next off-season to fill holes if Choo walks and Hamilton has flopped. Plenty of flexibility. Love it.
    Last edited by membengal; 12-12-2012 at 08:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    More of a second baseman than shortstop. Fringy arm for short, not quite enough range for short. Can cover you there if you need it, but not someone you want playing there for a week straight.
    So who's our SS when Cozart's out?

The Towers obsession for Didi just tells you how the other team needs to like and want what you have. Not sure Cingrani was a match for Cleveland, ya know? It's not about rankings.

When another GM is foaming at the mouth at one of your non-elite prospects (and I'm talking like anyone not a Top 25 prospect in the game), you gotta parlay it into something. Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by DGullett35 View Post
    "When I saw him, he reminded me of a young Derek Jeter," Towers said. "I was fortunate enough to see Jeter when he was in high school in Michigan. He's got that type of range, he's got speed, more of a line-drive-type hitter, and I think he's got the type of approach at the plate and separation to where I think there's going to be power there as well."

Kevin Towers really likes DiDi. He also said in the interview with MLB.Com that the only way he traded Bauer was for Gregorius. He lastly went on to say he had been talkin to Walt for a while now but they were not a match(what? no Didi for Upton??) I guess Antonetti called Towers on Mon. and said I can get Didi if you can let go of Bauer. Seems like all 3 teams got what they wanted. A win win for every organization.
    Jeter? I was thinking more like an Izturis comp. Slick fielder, will get a chance as a young guy, won't hit, will get a job to split time with the next great thing. Seriously, if he was young Derek Jeter, he would have forced his way onto the roster by now.

I also think Cozart is being unnecessarily beat up on about his OBP. He is a 6-8 hole hitter with power, which is now where he will be and he plays an above average shortstop. He has one full year of MLB under his belt, and this business of "there's a reason he was a 26 year old rookie" is a big old who cares? He is producing now and is entering his prime years.

Also, there is an argument to be made that Zack could be a .320-.330 OBP guy looking at his minor league pedigree. I'll take that with his power and glove work in the 7 or 8 hole, which is where he will now spend the bulk of his time in a healthy lineup.

Gregorious is currently a light hitting, slick fielding SS prospect. Yea, those are rare.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

I see Didi much like Gookie Dawkins and Pokey Reese before him. The question is will he hit enough to be a major league starter? Both Pokey and Dawkins would have been stud SSs if that happened but in hindsight we know that it didn't. Until it does, Didi is Paul Janish. Cozart showed himself to be a decent starting SS last year, something Didi hasn't done yet

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Haha. Talk about a problem we want to have!

I'm willing to risk it

Honestly, I am not worried at all about BHam.
    Even if he doesn't set the world on fire with OBP, he'll be a useful player (just not the star we hope for).
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?