Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tribune Co Files For Bankruptcy

Tribune Co Files For Bankruptcy

It's official. The Tribune Co, owner of the Cubs has filed for bankruptcy protection.

http://money.aol.com/news/articles/_...tection/271439

NEW YORK -Media conglomerate Tribune Co ., smothered by $13 billion in debt and weak prospects for generating cash through advertising, on Monday became the first major newspaper publisher to seek bankruptcy protection since the Internet began siphoning readers from traditional outlets...
    I wonder how this chaos will effect the Cubs?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Tribune Co Files For Bankruptcy

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    It's official. The Tribune Co, owner of the Cubs has filed for bankruptcy protection.

http://money.aol.com/news/articles/_...tection/271439

I wonder how this chaos will effect the Cubs?
    Contract the Cubs!

In the first round of the contraction draft, with the 8th pick, the Reds select Rich Harden.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Does this take them out of the FA market? I wonder how many other clubs are silently out of it.

Krazy Dollar Days at West Addison!
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Does this take them out of the FA market? I wonder how many other clubs are silently out of it.
    I'll let some of the lawyers weigh in on this and set me straight, but as far as I know, The Tribune Co...as a holding company is the one filing for bankruptcy. The Chicago Cubs (a subsidiary) is not.

So (and I'm guessing now), the bankruptcy court can't really get into the operations of the Cubs. However, should the Cubs (and I'm thinking Wrigley Field also) be sold, the court would decide how to apply the proceeds to Tribune's creditors.

On the other hand, as part of Chapter 11 proceedings, the Tribune has to submit a restructuring plan. You can presume that selling the Cubs is part of that plan and this time they'll have to go about it seriously and not *****-footing around like they have been for the last year.
    I'd say forget about the $625 mm they were talking about.

In any case, I'm guessing the Cubs will have to be operating on a budget that is cash flow positive, because their holding company will not be able to "bail them out" in case of a shortfall.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post

I wonder what it does in regards to selling the team.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I wonder what it does in regards to selling the team.
    According to the Tribune's press release, they say, "The Chicago Cubs franchise, including Wrigley Field, is not included in the Chapter 11 filing. Efforts to monetize the Cubs and its related assets will continue."

How do you like that term, "monetize"? I suspect that, since the Cubs are being dealt with seperately, they probably have their own line of credit (or cash reserves) to operate as a ballclub this year.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    According to the Tribune's press release, they say, "The Chicago Cubs franchise, including Wrigley Field, is not included in the Chapter 11 filing. Efforts to monetize the Cubs and its related assets will continue."

How do you like that term, "monetize"? I suspect that, since the Cubs are being dealt with seperately, they probably have their own line of credit (or cash reserves) to operate as a ballclub this year.
    Thanks.

I like that word. Say it real fast.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

By "monetize" they mean sell.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    Yes, I knew that.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,1636493.story

At least 3 bidders for Cubs in new round

By Ameet Sachdev | Tribune staff reporter
    1:14 PM CST, December 1, 2008
    At least three prospective buyers have submitted a new round of bids to Tribune Co. for the Chicago Cubs, one of professional sports' trophy franchises.

Chicago real estate investor Hersch Klaff; the Ricketts family, founder of online brokerage TD Ameritrade Holding Corp.; and a group led by Marc Utay, a New York private equity investor, delivered their proposals by the Thanksgiving deadline, according to sources involved in the negotiations.

Sources declined to comment on the size of the three bids, which include the team, Wrigley Field and Tribune's 25-percent stake in Comcast SportsNet, a regional cable sports network.

It was unknown at the time this report was filed whether two other prospective buyers -- Houston businessman Jim Crane and Mark Cuban, owner of the Dallas Mavericks basketball team -- had submitted new bids.

While Cuban has expressed ardent interest in the Cubs, he has not been active in the sales process for months, according to a source. His chances to buy the team took a hit when federal securities regulators charged him last month with insider trading.

Cuban and Crane could not immediately be reached for comment. Utay, Klaff and Tom Ricketts, a Chicago bond salesman who is leading the family bid, declined to comment.

The new bids are a boost to Tribune and a sales process that has been stalled by the financial crunch. The Cubs have been for sale since April 2007, when Chicago real estate billionaire Sam Zell reached a deal to take Tribune private and saddle the media company with $13 billion in debt. Tribune owns the Chicago Tribune.

It sounds like the corporate equivalent of payflex.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Haunted by walks

the Chicago Cubs, one of professional sports' trophy franchises
    What trophy would that be?

You can presume that selling the Cubs is part of that plan and this time they'll have to go about it seriously and not *****-footing around like they have been for the last year.
    I'd say forget about the $625 mm they were talking about.

In any case, I'm guessing the Cubs will have to be operating on a budget that is cash flow positive, because their holding company will not be able to "bail them out" in case of a shortfall.
    That's what I'm thinking. Do you take on more expenses in the next two weeks if you know the clubs going to be sold pronto? In this environment?

One Man Army

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    What trophy would that be?
    1907 and 1908 World Series!

Turn Off Ads?