Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2012 WVU Football Thread

2012 WVU Football Thread

Hadn't seen a thread started for this and I know there are some fans.

WVU opens in 20 minutes against Marshall for likely the last time in the Friends of Joe (Coal) Bowl. There's already been a skirmish between Marshall players and Geno Smith in the tunnel. Wouldn't be shocked if it spills out onto the field.

Prediction: WVU wins 45-17. Slow start early and Marshall keeps it close in the first half (just like always), but WVU turns on the jets and wins convincingly.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2012 WVU Football Thread

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Hadn't seen a thread started for this and I know there are some fans.

WVU opens in 20 minutes against Marshall for likely the last time in the Friends of Joe (Coal) Bowl. There's already been a skirmish between Marshall players and Geno Smith in the tunnel. Wouldn't be shocked if it spills out onto the field.

Prediction: WVU wins 45-17. Slow start early and Marshall keeps it close in the first half (just like always), but WVU turns on the jets and wins convincingly.
    Offense looked pretty darn impressive, at least from the box score.

Marty would call it a good old fashioned butt whooping.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Congrats on a nice win from a Herd fan. Geno Smith is something special, but unless our offense is better than I think it is you all are going to give up a ton of points. Then again, it might not matter with that offense.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    Congrats on a nice win from a Herd fan. Geno Smith is something special, but unless our offense is better than I think it is you all are going to give up a ton of points. Then again, it might not matter with that offense.
    I'd like to see WVU face a real defense, but the only teams I see that could pose that threat are Oklahoma and maybe Texas.

That being said, Oklahoma State and WVU might break the record for most points scored by two teams in a single game.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    I wonder how much of that was because the coaches didn't want to tip their hands too much knowing that the offense could have put up 100 if they wanted. A lot of those yards were in 20+ leads or in mop up time so I am not that worried about it.

We came out of the game injury free from what I've heard and that's what matters. Hopefully we won't see this game again for a while because it does neither team any good and doesn't draw new money for the state, it just moves what money is already here around (mostly).
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

I'm worried about the WVU defense, but not necessarily because of the points/yards that Marshall put up. When the game was even somewhat of a game, the defense only really gave up 13 points. 7 of the points came off a blocked punt. When it was 62-20, I left the game. Obviously I heard that Marshall put up two more long drives and 14 more points in garbage time. I believe when I left that Marshall was somewhere around 300 yards.

Marshall has some talent on offense. Cato is pretty nifty in the pocket and Dobson has some serious skills (although there were several plays where i seriously questioned his effort).

Obviously WVU is going to have some issues on defense, but I didn't walk away from that game panicking completely.

WVU offense was amazing, but the Marshall D was pathetic. Zero pass rush and zero run blitz, and WVU just ran all over them. Seemed like they were terrified of getting beat deep, which if you know Holgorsen's offense, it doesn't consist of a whole lot of deep passes. Marshall was playing not to lose from the get to, and it back fired.

It was hilarious seeing the Marshall players trash talking WVU players after making tackles on huge plays. I forget who it was that had the angle on Austin on his 70 yard run, and after he tackled Tavon he got in his face and started talking trash. It was hard not to laugh.

LOVE the Air Raid siren after long passing touchdowns:

Stedman Bailey -- 1st Touchdown Of The Year (2012) - YouTube

Through two games, Geno Smith has accounted for 10 touchdowns, and thrown 9 incomplete passes. He has to be considered the favorite for the Heisman trophy at this point, with USC going down, with De'Anthony Thomas not far behind.

WV has to play someone with a pulse first. That will happen soon enough.

As with Robert Griffin III last year, he's not expected to lead his team to an undefeated season, and so Heisman voters will look to his overall numbers and how well he performs against Big 12 traditional powers like Texas and Oklahoma to gauge his worthiness. Given his solid name recognition, his potential for an elite statistical season and his odd status as a Mid-Atlantic player competing in the Southwest, he's at the top of this Watch ... for now.
    http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...arkley-falters

Crazy game up in Morgantown. WVU leads Baylor 63-56 with a little over ten minutes to play. Geno Smith is 38-43 and has more TDs (7) than incompletions (5).

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Crazy game up in Morgantown. WVU leads Baylor 63-56 with a little over ten minutes to play. Geno Smith is 38-43 and has more TDs (7) than incompletions (5).
    Make it 8. 70 to 56. I think Coach Huggins is starting to get jealous seeing all the scoring.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

I guess defense just isn't a thing in the Big 12.

Some final lines from the game:

WVU:
    Geno Smith 45-51 (6 total incompletions), 656 yards, 8 touchdowns
    Tavon Austin 14 rec, 215 yards, 2 tds
    Stedmon Bailey 13 rec, 303 yards, 5 tds.
    JD Woods 13 rec, 114 yards, and catch of the game on the clean one handed catch late.

Baylor:
    Nick Florence 30-48, 582 yards, 5 tds, 1 int (on a tip)
    Terrance Williams 17 rec, 314 yards, 2 tds (and probably made himself some cash today).

Those are just disgusting numbers.

William Arthur Ward

I'm starting to feel pretty good about my JMU Dukes allowing "only" 42 points against the Mountaineers.

(I know, I know, WVU took their foot off the gas. Just let me have this.)
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Turn Off Ads?